Drz400s lifespan

Hi all,

Looking to buy a 04 drz400s with 14,000 miles for a decently cheap deal. I know these bikes run forever and are bulletproof but what is considered “really high” mileage for these things? The bike was used for commuting and some dual sport rides, so apparently it hasn’t been ragged on too much (according to the sellers ad, of course).

I guess what I’m asking is 14,000miles the upper limit for these bikes? Or could someone expect a well maintained drz to go 20-30k with minimal problems? Any input helps, thanks!

No

Yes

Of course it all depends on how well it's been maintained and ridden.

I know your talking about not having to get into the engine, but there really is no limit.l bought my 07 S with over 100,000 kms on it and I've put 50,000 kms on in the last 5 years. The engine's been apart several times.

If they have a good maintenance history and valve checks done and everything  else looks good I'd feel pretty comfortable about it. If they start talking about how the thing does dank whooolies on the other hand...

2 hours ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

All depends how it was ridden and maintained. I’ve had DRZ motors blow at 10k and I’ve had motors still running strong at 40k.

^^^This^^^ Nailed it.The POTENTIAL is there but so many other factors involved.

I bought mine with 12,500 miles. It's a 2000, first year they made them. It ran beautifully and was in great condition. Look at the bike and see if the guy took care of it. If he sounds and looks like he maintained it properly it should last you a long time. 

I bought a stock 2005 with 12,000 mi. that I believe received good care.  It now has 15,000 mi. and running strong.  I have done some preventative things like flush the radiator, replace hoses, install new throttle cables, and replace the vacuum fuel petcock with a manual petcock although all was working fine.  I checked the valve clearance today and found them getting close to the limits, will probably adjust the valve shims and install a manual cam chain tensioner this winter.   Doesn't burn any oil.  I expect to get a lot more miles out of it.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:15 AM, bumtarder said:

^^^This^^^ Nailed it.The POTENTIAL is there but so many other factors involved.

Like being run low on oil at 172 hours use.  Causing the head to be trashed. Their loss, my gain.  Just working on 2007 a road going E to have some adventure fun on. 

• Like 2

Mine 2002 has 14k+ miles on it.  Still runs strong.  I've had it since 895 miles when I bought it in 2006.

My DRZ

• Like 2

I bought a non-abused, reasonably well cared for 2007 model about 4 years ago. It had 13K or 15K miles on it. My nephew used it to ride daily to high school.  Ran sweetly when i bought it and continues to.