XR650L '05 XR650L Heats up and stalls

Very much a Newb, so needs some help.  My bike just bought this spring second hand with about 22,000 km on her, gets hot (and I don't know hot it really is supposed to get) while I'm riding around town.  Not a lot of traffic where I live, some I'm sure would find it laughable.  She'll get right warmed up and die on me sometimes, and I know when its coming because I can hear the rpm slowing right down usually when I'm stopped at a light.  If I stay on the throttle a bit it will keep running otherwise she'll thump thump thump die.  Mind you this doesn't happen all the time, cold days mostly  (5 - 12 C). 

Any advice goes a long way, don't know anyone else who rides in person.

Thanks by's

• Like 1

Sounds like the idle mixture needs a tweak.

Is the screw at the bottom front of the carb visible and can be turned?

Do you know if the jetting is stock?

Do they run ethanol in the gas up there?

The screw is there and it could be turned clockwise, can't be turned the other way.  There's a fin on the screw itself butting up against another coming off the carb.  I haven't the faintest clue what the previous owner did with the jetting but the exhaust and everything is stock so I'm going to guess nothing.  And yes there is ethanol in the low grade gas.  Would it be better to use a slightly higher grade?

If its stock a 2005 is set at 2 1/2 turns out........................

is this heat up and stall thing new or its been getting worse over time?

It sounds like a Pulse Generator starting to freak when it gets warm.................

easy to fix............ and test

• Like 1

I don't know if the previous owner had trouble with it but it seems like it was bad in the spring, didn't really happen the summer and now has started again for the fall.  Could it have anything to do with humidity? It does get pretty humid up here, especially in the spring and fall.

Pulse generators   as well as  CDI units on this model are prone to failure, ( just had my third CDI let go last weekend)!  Here's a short video to give you a quick and dirty CDI test, it will also introduce you to the Pulse generator. ENJOY!                          

• Like 2

If its stock a 2005 is set at 2 1/2 turns out........................
is this heat up and stall thing new or its been getting worse over time?
It sounds like a Pulse Generator starting to freak when it gets warm.................
easy to fix............ and test
Quick question - I hear everyone say 2-2.5 turns.

Is ONE "turn" one complete revolution, or is it just a 180° turn (half of a full turn)?

Thanks.

23 hours ago, KSmitty said:

The screw is there and it could be turned clockwise, can't be turned the other way.  There's a fin on the screw itself butting up against another coming off the carb.  I haven't the faintest clue what the previous owner did with the jetting but the exhaust and everything is stock so I'm going to guess nothing.  And yes there is ethanol in the low grade gas.  Would it be better to use a slightly higher grade?

Correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe your mixture screw is set for full lean, Stock jetting assumed that is, Stock being lean and then the adjustment screw is set to full lean as well. A  Lean condition can cause it to run Hot! My XRL has Stock carburetion and I run the mixture screw at the full clockwise position BTW

Correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe your mixture screw is set for full lean, Stock jetting assumed that is, Stock being lean and then the adjustment screw is set to full lean as well. A  Lean condition can cause it to run Hot! My XRL has Stock carburetion and I run the mixture screw at the full clockwise position BTW

If he had the fuel/air screw turned all the way in the bike shouldn’t run if it’s stock jetting. If the bike can run with the fuel/air screw turned all the way in either direction the jetting is way off.

1 minute ago, mr. claws said:

x3 on the CDI or PG or something electrical.
Can absolutely be heat related as you describe.

Ignition is usually the easiest thing to check (OR RULE OUT) by doing a simple spark test, unfortunately the intermittent nature of both a CDI failure (from broken or loosened soldered terminals internally in the unit)  or a PG failure (usually temp. related) can make diagnosis very difficult. I myself have never had a PG failure on my 02L, but I know it is a possibility, but... I don't carry a new spare PG with me like I do with the CDI (perhaps I will start)!?

Okay so, I have a couple pictures of the mixture screw If anyone can let me know what this position on the screw means.  I'd like to deal with the heat issue first if I can and then the CDI or PG in the shed over the winter.

mixture screw brake side.jpeg

mixture screw shifter side.jpeg

Okay so, I have a couple pictures of the mixture screw If anyone can let me know what this position on the screw means.  I'd like to deal with the heat issue first if I can and then the CDI or PG in the shed over the winter.
937159193_mixturescrewbrakeside.jpeg.792b9599fd327faf514897f97990de07.jpeg
1813530537_mixturescrewshifterside.jpeg.3191fd4c37116b5c419c768e1a113e1d.jpeg

You need to grind off the tab on the carb (not the pilot needle) so you can fully adjust it. When you have the cover off you can adjust it to where you
Want it. Gently screw it all the way in, then turn it out 2.5 turns as a good start point. 360 degrees is one turn. I would clean the carb as well before you open it up.

The fact that the limiter cap is still in place would lead me to believe that the mixture screw is still at OEM settings (or within~270 degrees).    ALSO.. KSmitty stated at the beginning of this post...  

On 10/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, KSmitty said:

Very much a Newb

I don't remember reading anywhere here that...  BEFORE you begin any further adjustment, BE SURE to turn ANY carb. adj. screw in... COUNTING EVERY REVOLUTION or part rev. and record/remember the number of turns it took to LIGHTLY seat the screw. (This will allow you return to the original adjustment, should you find that another issue was the initial problem. You have elected to be the PHYSICIAN for your bike. Remember the first Tennent of the Hippocratic oath "DO NO HARM"

22 hours ago, Bigfatredpig said:

If he had the fuel/air screw turned all the way in the bike shouldn’t run if it’s stock jetting. If the bike can run with the fuel/air screw turned all the way in either direction the jetting is way off.

The Bone Stock carb can not be turned all the way lean or all the way rich. The Tab mounted on the mixture screw and the Tab cast on to the Carb bowl cover prevent it. My XRL will run anywhere I set it between the two Tab stops. Finding the sweet spot is the real challenge. I'm at 4.4k elevation