2smokeCripsy

Worn off vin need help

11 hours ago, 2smokeCripsy said:

Have you tried it before?

Yes, it works on weapons when the serial number is filed down as well. If you ant to be legal, contact the state police, tell them your issue. Depending on luck, they might be willing to etch it for you, verify it is not stolen and re-stamp the frame making them more legible.

I have a title but no bill of sale from the guy on the title because the person I got it from never got a title for himself. In this case all I can do is take the bill of sale from who I bought it from and get the quad inspected for a conditional title. Which requires them to read the vin without help from other documentation which is possible but the 1’s are difficult to see. The rest of it is readable after very fine sanding and scotch brite to remove the oxidation. 

Nice ride!

Just re-stamp the vin #'s, yourself. You have a classic quad, that no law enforcement personal will question.

I tried to stamp a piece of 1 inch tubing on a spare parts frame I have and it wasn’t working at all. I thought about doing something like on the lt250r’s where a plate is stamped and welded to the frame. I mean I got one shot at getting it inspected. If I did the plate on the frame I would of course repaint it before having it inspected. As for the other pieces that make it a rolling chassis I could say I didn’t paint those pieces because they either need repair or are being upgraded if they ask. I’m trying to do the least suspicious option.

Yes, stamping on round stock can be a challenge. Get comfortable and stamp the top portion, then roll the die slightly down and strike again. It doesn't have to be pretty, just legible. Or do a plate and affix it to the frame. Again, nobody will scrutinize the the method of the VIN. As long as it's visible.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:58 PM, 2smokeCripsy said:

I have 88 Tecate 4 with a very hard to read vin. Any way I can make the digits show up better with what is left?

image.jpg

Acid will sit in the depressions, making them deeper. Not positive which kind, I'd think muriatic. Ask the police, if you dare.

I’m thinking about doing the plate and weld it onto the frame. I’ll make a jig to keep my letters straight and almost perfectly spaced when I stamp the plate. Then I’ll cut it out about 4 to 6 inches longer and bend it around a piece of solid stock to make it sit flush like factory on the frame. Thanks for all the help.