Rear saddle bag- thoughts on this brand?

I think this might be large enough to hold my tools and a jacket. I think I can strap it on to the composite frame and attach it to the tail. anyone has anything similar in size? how do you like it? based on their site, I can use it as a saddle bag, or buy 2 and they have mounting points to add on the plastics, but I think 1 is good enough for me

Kriega US-5 Drypack -https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-us-5-drypack-2018 

Edited by RideWithWill

Hey Will I noticed that bag is no longer available.

Just a couple of thoughts I hope you are tall to get a leg over a rear fender bag. That one straps on that would worry me as you would not know if it fell off till you need it. Most of the guys I know that run rear bags are bolted to rear fender. Really worries me to put my tools in a bag as that is a lot of weight and is tough on the bag and if something happens then all my tools are out there for someone else to find along the trail.

I know with my front I find it loose a couple of times a season, if I could not see it I could loose it. I have actually lost a front it started loosing in a section of trail that I was not able to just stop, read WFO in a section of whoops I had to go back and get it but because it was there where I could see it I knew it came off.

10 minutes ago, raymo2.0 said:

Hey Will I noticed that bag is no longer available.

Just a couple of thoughts I hope you are tall to get a leg over a rear fender bag. That one straps on that would worry me as you would not know if it fell off till you need it. Most of the guys I know that run rear bags are bolted to rear fender. Really worries me to put my tools in a bag as that is a lot of weight and is tough on the bag and if something happens then all my tools are out there for someone else to find along the trail.

I know with my front I find it loose a couple of times a season, if I could not see it I could loose it. I have actually lost a front it started loosing in a section of trail that I was not able to just stop, read WFO in a section of whoops I had to go back and get it but because it was there where I could see it I knew it came off.

Yep, bolt on bag for me.

20160819_111327.jpg

And, lol, yeah, the lifting the leg over the bag gets harder as the day gets on.  One long ride TGP had to lift my leg so I could get on the bike ?.  The bike seems to get taller and the bag bigger the longer you ride.  And your boots end up weighing like 100 lbs each.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BOAB said:

Yep, bolt on bag for me.

20160819_111327.jpg

And, lol, yeah, the lifting the leg over the bag gets harder as the day gets on.  One long ride TGP had to lift my leg so I could get on the bike :lol:.  The bike seems to get taller and the bag bigger the longer you ride.  And your boots end up weighing like 100 lbs each.

that is why I am also thinking of mounting to the side (like a saddle bag) not sure how that would hold up or maybe be more in the way? not sure lol

I run a Dirt Bike Gear Fastboy fender pack. Bolted to fender like Raymo says...never lost anything. I put the real small stuff (sockets, small wrenches, etc) inside a smaller zipper pouch (he sells one) and wrap it with a small rag for cushioning, then strap it in.

http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/fbfb.html

You can't put larger tools in there, but thats ok with me, they are in my camelbak. They also sell a larger one, but even if ya can easily get leg over taller one on easy ground, when the terrain is irregular the added height can be a challenge.

His stuff is stout!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

+1 for DBG stuff. Have used the small fender pack and tube pack in the past. excellent quality and rugged. 

I should add, I cut a sheet of lexan into shape to fit the fastboy to add rigidity to the softer sheet he provides. I strap it in with the zipper pouch to add even more durability.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

59 minutes ago, dmac1 said:

I run a Dirt Bike Gear Fastboy fender pack. Bolted to fender like Raymo says...never lost anything. I put the real small stuff (sockets, small wrenches, etc) inside a smaller zipper pouch (he sells one) and wrap it with a small rag for cushioning, then strap it in.

http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/fbfb.html

You can't put larger tools in there, but thats ok with me, they are in my camelbak. They also sell a larger one, but even if ya can easily get leg over taller one on easy ground, when the terrain is irregular the added height can be a challenge.

His stuff is stout!

oh this might be perfect for tools. seems like it can hold all the necessities. what do you think about adding it to the front fender?

49 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

oh this might be perfect for tools. seems like it can hold all the necessities. what do you think about adding it to the front fender?

Its perfect for small stuff.

It should rest flat on the fender. If your's is like my 2015 KTM, it won't work very well on front fender.

Heres a look at mine after a couple years. I have a replacement for it...would use it but the one strap has severed. It gets bounced around alot, hence my lexan plate, which prolly helped cut the strap.  I used to use em without the lexan....flexes the piece the straps are attached to until it cracks. Could depend upon what all is carried in it. Nothing is gonna last forever on a dirt bike.

20191009_100251.thumb.jpg.82e34fde081edee4d3e04388250b2af1.jpg

Heres whats in mine.

20191009_100445.jpg.748746506a2a19b490bbbeaee983b029.jpgAnd here is what won't fit and is in camelbak.

20191009_100616.jpg.fbe7427c0d19d236022ea4dd95288546.jpg

Of course, tube, pump, tow strap etc are in camelbak too.

I used a Moose front fender bag (Performance has current version I think) for a tube on recent dual sport trip and could stuff 3 tire levers in there too. It clips to fender and never moved (I had a piece of cord around mask and clipped it to that just to be safe) but can interfere with headlight beam if too high. Pros and cons!

EDIT - some of that stuff in the tool roll will fit in fastboy (eg smaller combo wrench, spring puller, etc) but it won't fit in my inner zipper pouch, so it goes in tool roll. The tire irons will not fit in fastboy for sure. Sorry for mis-statement.

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BOAB said:

Yep, bolt on bag for me.

20160819_111327.jpg

And, lol, yeah, the lifting the leg over the bag gets harder as the day gets on.  One long ride TGP had to lift my leg so I could get on the bike :lol:.  The bike seems to get taller and the bag bigger the longer you ride.  And your boots end up weighing like 100 lbs each.

Truth!

• William1 changed the title to Rear saddle bag- thoughts on this brand?

Dirt Bike Gear here, times 2.  Two different sizes boletes to the rear rack of my WR.  Its a sweet set-up for me.  I also have a fender bag for the front when the mission calls for it, as well as a medium fanny pack used as a tank bag for a few snack items, etc.  You will figure out what works best for how you utilize your bike.  Good luck!

IMG_9146.jpg

I run Wolfman and Harper bags, both bolt on. I do not like a back pack or fanny pack. Mostly, it has my wallet, cell phone, keys. I do have a 'spider net' for when I have to carry a bulky item, I also have a 'shoulder bag' inside that takes up very little room when stored.. The Harper bag is expandable and when I go out for a could of Hoagies, it carries them fine.

Both bags, I cut alloy plate to support contents and then cut a bit a wetsuit neoprene as padding.

The downside is my legs do not bend as well as they once did and a bag is a PITA for my to sling a leg over.

This one is on my SM: https://chaseharperusa.com/collections/tail-trunks/products/sport-tail-trunk

This one is on my WR: https://wolfmanluggage.com/collections/tail-bags/products/enduro-tool-bag

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chadzu said:

Yes...GL makes good stuff for sure....very durable!!

I'm sure this isn't what Will is lookin for, but if ya wanna go big some day, here is a look at my bike during a recent dual sport/bike camping trip. Thats an older GL Coyote on the back with a Sea to Summit dry bag (orange) attached to the back and GL Pannier Pockets on the wings of the tank and also an ALT Rider Hemisphere tank bag.  I've also got a Moose fender bag on the front with a tube and tire irons in it. Not exactly stuff for your usual trail ride tho!  LOL

IMG_2286.JPG.65807829efa60fb43b2a29c081748c0c.JPG

I've got a wolfman rear fender bag with a tool roll, some wilderness emergency stuff, and basic flat repair items in it. I'm pretty lanky and at the end of a long day it's a bit of a process to swing a leg over. I'm 6'1" too. Overall I much prefer it over a heavy backpack.FB_IMG_1566584972428.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, bolt on bag for me.
20160819_111327.jpg.4ab62c8052f7f512124a860b8524fec7.jpg
And, lol, yeah, the lifting the leg over the bag gets harder as the day gets on.  One long ride TGP had to lift my leg so I could get on the bike [emoji38].  The bike seems to get taller and the bag bigger the longer you ride.  And your boots end up weighing like 100 lbs each.
Can't bolt a bag like that on a 701, that's where the fuel tank is.

1 minute ago, JefeRotacion said:
On 10/9/2019 at 8:34 AM, BOAB said:
Yep, bolt on bag for me.
20160819_111327.jpg.4ab62c8052f7f512124a860b8524fec7.jpg
And, lol, yeah, the lifting the leg over the bag gets harder as the day gets on.  One long ride TGP had to lift my leg so I could get on the bike emoji38.png.  The bike seems to get taller and the bag bigger the longer you ride.  And your boots end up weighing like 100 lbs each.

Can't bolt a bag like that on a 701, that's where the fuel tank is.

Fuel tanks don't belong there. Put it where it belongs.