Dealer doubled hours on xtrainer while in for work

,Not sure if I should even be posting this, but here it goes. A little backstory: My xtrainer has had a leaky countershaft seal since day 1, and on the most recent ride, the engine management light came on and stayed on (the yellow one, not the low oil light).  I was riding around some sand trails at the time and had no choice but to ride home with the light on.  After getting home, I tried several times to ride the bike and reset it but was talked into taking it to the dealer by my buddy. 

I take the bike in to the dealer, and the service manager admits they haven't worked on very many betas and aren't familiar with the diagnostic tool.  Of course after a couple days he calls me and tells me that the engine light isn't on anymore, it comes on and then goes off after a couple seconds (like it should)... They also ride the bike about "5 miles" to replicate the leaking seal.  It doesn't leak, so it can't be warrantied according to them, even though I sent them pictures I took of the leak. "It could be chain lube" is what the manager told me... According to them, the ECU doesn't keep a log of engine codes, but they reached out to BetaUSA for help. The bike has been at the dealership for about 2 weeks at this point, but it was only a couple more days so I let them keep it.  The Beta Technician basically confirms that the ECU doesn't remember codes, and you can only pull a code if it is currently on?  

So basically they couldn't figure the engine light out, didn't want to warranty the countershaft seal, but at least the broken battery strap would be replaced under warranty...  The labor wasn't covered under warranty either, so they charged me a $75 diagnostic fee. I'm not sure if this is common because I usually do my own maintenance and rarely drop a bike off for work. I paid the fee and inspected my bike before loading up and leaving. Everything seemed fine.

On Sunday, I rolled the xtrainer to the center of the garage to get it ready for new handguards, when I noticed the hour meter displayed 48 total hours?? This surprised me since I thought the bike had around 20 hours on it.  I hadn't even changed the gear oil at 30 hours so I know I didn't put that many hours on it. The mileage was what I figured it should be, around 365 miles. So there is no way I averaged 7.6 mph for my type of riding.  My average was around 20 miles per hour, probably a little less. Nothing crazy slow, because I mostly ride in the desert, not crazy slow hard Enduro stuff.  How could the dealer have put that many hours on it? Did they leave the diagnostic tool hooked up all day and night which kept the hour meter running?  Also, I reset trip B every time I fill up the gas tank. It had 38 miles ridden, but 26 hours of time!? Hmm....

Sorry for the long winded post, I really needed to vent... Am I overreacting? Should I just deal with the fact they basically devalued my xtrainer? It's not a big difference, but still? Did they run the engine a lot to try to get the engine light reset? And do they have to replicate a problem in the shop in order to cover it under warranty?  Here are some pics of the bike during the ride with the light on and the oil leak some time before.  Also a pic of it on Slickrock trail in Moab for shits and giggles... 

20190909_121136.jpg

20190712_190732.jpg

20190712_183523.jpg

20190722_190610.jpg

Edited by tjadv
Spelling
  • Like 1

The hour meter on my 2018 XTrainer is flakey too.  I fit an aftermarket one and it is fine.

The diagnostics are pretty simple, I bought the cable and a standard scanner will read the codes.  It was quite handy when I tried out a SmartCarb and could verify exactly what was wrong with the TPS.  (They claimed that it worked great at the time- later the admitted an issue).

If I recall, leaving the scanner on does increment the hour meter.  But I certainly could be mistaken on that.

14 hours ago, lotus54 said:

The hour meter on my 2018 XTrainer is flakey too.  I fit an aftermarket one and it is fine.

The diagnostics are pretty simple, I bought the cable and a standard scanner will read the codes.  It was quite handy when I tried out a SmartCarb and could verify exactly what was wrong with the TPS.  (They claimed that it worked great at the time- later the admitted an issue).

If I recall, leaving the scanner on does increment the hour meter.  But I certainly could be mistaken on that.

Will it show old codes on the scanner? Or just ones that are active? 

1 hour ago, tjadv said:

Will it show old codes on the scanner? Or just ones that are active? 

It does store them until it is cleared.  BUT I believe it clears itself after three cycles  (over 2k rpm and shut off- three times).

I could do some testing and verify.   But I got the info about clearing a ‘false’ error.  I’ve gotten them a few times for the OI-  doing the three start (and over 2k) always has cleared them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tjadv said:

Hmm, I don't what I should do then.... Contact BetaUSA? 

Yes, I would.  I found them quite responsive.   Explain calmly what you have had happen- and the hours increase.  They may have a good answer.

(BTW, Beta USA are the ones that told me about the ‘clearing’ method)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tjadv said:

No way? Sounds sketchy.. I knew Beta had some issues here and there but come on! ?

It ended up being a bad Diode pack that was causing the problems. Dealer replaced them under warranty, but my speedo was always acting wacky afterwords. I eventually broke it after an endo anyway, had an old Trail Tech voyager around from my last bike and have that on there now. 

• Like 1