Jotagas in the US

Thx for checking in. JTG is building engines now. They are waiting on tanks and body plastic from Polisport. I hope to have an enduro model, a trials model and a couple of e-bikes air freighted here in time for the Redbull Override in TX 12/7 and 8. I still plan to have bikes here in January. 

• Like 4

On 10/31/2019 at 11:42 AM, ClayStuckey said:

Thx for checking in. JTG is building engines now. They are waiting on tanks and body plastic from Polisport. I hope to have an enduro model, a trials model and a couple of e-bikes air freighted here in time for the Redbull Override in TX 12/7 and 8. I still plan to have bikes here in January. 

Good luck with your project. Very interested to see how it turns out. Be bold, give the bike a name. Spanish bikes had so many good names that stirred the imagination. Pursangs, Stilletos, Phantoms etc. Letter and number codes are sooo boring. LOL!

• Like 1

Good luck with the E-Bike’s, MTBers are such elitist A-holes. I had a guy yell at me to buy American next time as he rode by on the trail, I’m on a Specialized ! And everybody uses Taiwan/Japanese components, but poo-poo on a guy for Asian having a frame made.

One model that I think is kinda interesting is how rafts get sold to outfitters. The outfitters get a “pro deal” that’s like 1/3 off retail and a limited warranty. After a season of renting them out they sell off their inventory for the same 1/3off Pro Deal and no warranty left.

Lol!!!!  Is there hardly any bicycle part not built in Taiwan? I talked to the Fox people and they told me they had stopped building shocks for motorcycles here because they had moved bicycle shock production to Taiwan and no longer had a place to build motorcycle shocks. 

That's an interesting idea. on the rafts. Thanks!

Slight change in plans...….
I planned to sell this bike without any dealers. Why? Two reasons. 1. It takes a lot of energy and time to recruit and set up a dealer network. 2. I've been working with dealers for almost 40 years and I'm just tired of it. Most dealers just don't get excited about the product anymore. I understand why. They live and breathe that dealership constantly. The only time they're not thinking about their business is when they're sleeping. Their business isn't a brand like Jotagas, it's their dealership. I enjoy talking to customers because they are excited about your product. So what's the change? I've had about 10 of my dealers from the last brand call me and ask if they could buy one. If they want to be dealers for JTG then ok. So I will have some dealers. Price will be the same.

Edited by ClayStuckey
  • Like 3

Cool, I like what has been talked about so far. The fact that you are going to have dealers is promising to me. It provides more exposure and hopefully in turn more sales. More sales means more support in both factory parts and aftermarket. I still have my current bike to wear out. I can see myself buying one in 3 years time if all goes well.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 2:49 PM, ClayStuckey said:

Slight change in plans...….
I planned to sell this bike without any dealers. Why? Two reasons. 1. It takes a lot of energy and time to recruit and set up a dealer network. 2. I've been working with dealers for almost 40 years and I'm just tired of it. Most dealers just don't get excited about the product anymore. I understand why. They live and breathe that dealership constantly. The only time they're not thinking about their business is when they're sleeping. Their business isn't a brand like Jotagas, it's their dealership. I enjoy talking to customers because they are excited about your product. So what's the change? I've had about 10 of my dealers from the last brand call me and ask if they could buy one. If they want to be dealers for JTG then ok. So I will have some dealers. Price will be the same.

So you are saying your dealers will pay the same as the random consumer?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Knox Enduro said:

So you are saying your dealers will pay the same as the random consumer?

Sorry I didn't explain myself well when I said "prices would remain the same." What  I meant was that I was willing to take less money for the bike to give a dealer a margin so that the $8500 retail price would not go up to $10,000. When I said prices would remain the same I mean that the $8500 MSRP would not change. 

• Like 4

Ok, I will stay tuned with your progress, although after spending the last 6 years establishing Beta, TM, and AJP in the area, we do have a bit of new brand fatigue.  Really hard to fight the KTM bias, but we are making progress.  If Jotagas makes a mountain goat bike with low seat, might be a market here.

Hi Clay. I was wondering if you had seen or heard about this bike. Talk about “New Brand Fatigue”.

On page 28 of Dirt Bike Magazine, December issue; there’s a new 250cc & 300cc dirt bike that’s supposed to be under $7,000.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/amp/2020-off-road-bike-buyers-guide/

THUMPSTAR 300/250 TWO-STROKE: TBA

Thumpstar has been developing motorcycles for the last five years, primarily for the pit-bike market. The 250cc/300cc two-stroke models will be produced in Spain. Thumpstar has been working with Josep Pibernat, the founder of Gas Gas, on this model, which has a case-reed, power valve motor with a conventional Keihin carburetor and a six-speed gearbox.

3 hours ago, SS109 said:

I'm eagerly awaiting pics and specs! Please keep us posted!

300 Enduro Specs

Engine2 Stroke “Single cylinder with electronically controlled exhaust valve 

Displacement293

Bore X Stroke72x72

CarbureatorKeihin PKW 36

Coolingliquid system with forced circulation

StartingElectric with kick back up at no extra charge

Ignition SystemDC - CDI ignition with digital advance

Transmission6 speed sequential gearbox, primary gears and chain secondary

ClutchHydraulic, multidisc in oil bath

Fuel Capacity2.9 gallons

Front suspensionCH Engineering inserts in WP type external tubes, 12 inches

Rear SuspensionCH Engineering shock, high speed, low speed and rebound damping adjustment, 12 inches

Seat Height36.5 inches

Front BrakeBrembo Hydraulic with 260mm disc

Rear BrakeNissin Hydraulic with 220mm rear disc

0 Enduro Specs

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TC686B said:

Hi Clay. I was wondering if you had seen or heard about this bike. Talk about “New Brand Fatigue”.

On page 28 of Dirt Bike Magazine, December issue; there’s a new 250cc & 300cc dirt bike that’s supposed to be under $7,000.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/amp/2020-off-road-bike-buyers-guide/

THUMPSTAR 300/250 TWO-STROKE: TBA

Thumpstar has been developing motorcycles for the last five years, primarily for the pit-bike market. The 250cc/300cc two-stroke models will be produced in Spain. Thumpstar has been working with Josep Pibernat, the founder of Gas Gas, on this model, which has a case-reed, power valve motor with a conventional Keihin carburetor and a six-speed gearbox.

Yeah I have. Thumpstar is an Australian company that mainly sells pit bikes from China. It's my understanding that this bike has a Jotagas engine (same one that I'll be bringing in) but everything else is sourced in China. I actually talked to a dealer on Monday that has that bike. Says he bought it at the show (he's in Ohio) and says it doesn't run because it doesn't have a wiring harness. He said the engine looks solid. Not sure about the rest of the bike. I saw something that said Thumpstar was aiming this bike at the MX rider, which seems odd since it's a 2t. They don't have any production bikes yet because JTG is just now assembling production engines. 

• Like 1