First trip to Perry State Forest

Going to make my first trip to Perry State Forest this week.  I've never ridden in an area this large before.  Can anyone share any pointers/tips/advice/wisdom/caveats?

I've watched some videos of people riding in the area, looks amazing.  One of my main concerns is finding my way back to the parking area.  Is a GPS of any value there?  I have a small Garmin from my mountain bike that I could mount to the handlebars.

The first real test for my new KLX230R.

Doug

Dublin, Ohio

The fact that it has been very dry for a while should help, when it's wet you end up having to turn around to avoid swamp. This is assuming you try to stay off the marked trails. They are horrible SxS & quad crap.

There are two areas, one where parking is, it is like a triangle trapped by 3 roads.  The other is across the road from parking, it is not really contained by road, there is a gas line alone one boundary.  It's pretty obvious if you go in a field or someones back yard you are out side the area.

So all that said, if you can't go with someone that know the place just ride cross country. Be careful when you crest a hill you don't know whats on the other side.  It's easier in the spring before weeds grow up. 

If you scroll through the Perry thread you will find a ton of pictures from there. Worse case find you way to one of the several "play areas" and you can spend a hour messing around on different hills and such.

• Like 1

Had a great time riding Perry today.  Was surprised how much mud there was.  Got knee deep in a couple of mud holes - got to start working out - that bike is heavy!

Parked the bike at the campground while riding.  Someone stole my stand/support off of my trailer while i was riding.  Luckily everything else was locked down.

Uknow:  the last photo you posted - green bike in the water hole - yep!, did that!!

Going to try Monday Creek next week.

Doug

• Like 1

I just looked up the specs on your 230.  That is a heavy bike.  More advanced bikes weight lower 200's and have more power.  Something to think about if you keep riding.

Things can get stolen at trail heads.  Also, don't leave valuables visible in your car/truck.

If we get the rain they are forecasting, there will be mud this weekend also.  I think Wayne NF does a little better job drainage, maintaining trails vs. Perry.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:06 AM, gammaldags said:

Had a great time riding Perry today.  Was surprised how much mud there was.  Got knee deep in a couple of mud holes - got to start working out - that bike is heavy!

Parked the bike at the campground while riding.  Someone stole my stand/support off of my trailer while i was riding.  Luckily everything else was locked down.

Uknow:  the last photo you posted - green bike in the water hole - yep!, did that!!

Going to try Monday Creek next week.

Doug

It gets a bad rep due to the huge ruts and mudholes, and traffic from sxs's on busy days, but I think it's a fun place and the state is really lucky to have a place like that. The trails are well marked and there are some really challenging hills. I've heard that they are working on making single track there for 2020, but we will see what happens. 

Anything there marked sucks giant dicks because of SxS and quads. The state let those &%$#@! SxS that claim to be doing maintenance in the place year round and they post videos of being there in March hogging out the mud holes, not doing maintenance.

The place WAS great, SxS and quads ruined it. The suck.

That is not nearly as bad sounding as I really feel about those POS &%$#@!ers.

• Like 1

Here is them being there in March when it's closed to the public to be doing supposed maintenance. Jump to 3:45 in the video. Look at the ruts they are making at 4:30 . The others are still captures.

perrydicks.png

dicks2.png

dick3.png

Edited by Uknow

7 minutes ago, Uknow said:

Anything there marked sucks giant dicks because of SxS and quads. The state let those &%$#@! SxS that claim to be doing maintenance in the place year round and they post videos of being there in March hogging out the mud holes, not doing maintenance.

The place WAS great, SxS and quads ruined it. The suck.

That is not nearly as bad sounding as I really feel about those POS &%$#@!ers.

I'm not sure how you feel, would you mind elaborating?

1 minute ago, Mayo513 said:

I was being a sarcastic ass. Yes, I've seen those guys up there quite a bit making new trails.

I know you were, but I have proof because they are so dumb they posted video of it.

They get exclusive rights for winter use because of this type of "maintenance". 

dicks4.png

Just now, 99klr250 said:

True, lots of mud holes and rutted trails at Perry.  But, the good part is you are allowed to go blaze your own trail anywhere you want.

Problem is, dozed trails, SxS allow the idiots to get father and father out and destroy the whole place. Not much left to blaze.

Back in the early 90s it was almost only bikes there, quads went to Wayne. Suck x Sucks didn't exist yet.

Once they ruined Wayne, it almost all got dozed. Then the idiots started going to Perry.

• Like 1