The Arch Stanton

49mm Showa conventional rebuild how to?

I picked up a set of 1998 RM 125 Showa conventional forks in anticipation of another build project. 

I can't seem to find a how to on rebuilding these forks anywhere. The PDF manuals I have found online only show the upside down forks and the various threads in forums seem to wander all over the place and go into DRZ territory. Do the Clymer books show how to rebuild the conventional forks?

I am familiar with KYB and Showa up upside down forks; will I just be able to figure these out with that experience or is there anything tricky?

Also what is kind of interesting is that my fork caps are the slotted style as opposed to the hexagon nut. In the various online parts diagrams, I do not see this set up in any exploded views. Is it essentially the same as the hexagon nut version, only with the slotted cap? (See attached photos.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you! And then if any of y'all have swapped these onto a steel frame YZ, chime in so I can pick your brain! Hahaha

20191024_130246.jpg

Edited by The Arch Stanton

These are RSU twin-chamber forks... and challenging to work on if you aren't familiar with them. I've grafted a set onto my 2006 RM250 Carmichael replica (because I'm older and prefer the feel of RSU forks). I believe the Suzuki shop manuals for the 96-98 RM250 and 125 show how to service them.

Here's a link to a reasonably priced one.

Good luck.

:cheers:

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 5:25 PM, Piney Woods said:

Rocky Mtn ATV videos. You really should get a service manual, money well spent.

Thank you! Rocky Mountain ATV videos doesn't have anything for this fork, though.

The manuals I have found online, even though they claim it is for a 98, show the upside down forks. So I have been a little apprehensive about buying a print book. Maybe I'll just gampbell and get one.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:31 AM, djidji said:

some pics with the same cap:

jeanjean

Thank you!

On 10/25/2019 at 5:38 PM, SC_Spode said:

These are RSU twin-chamber forks... and challenging to work on if you aren't familiar with them. I've grafted a set onto my 2006 RM250 Carmichael replica (because I'm older and prefer the feel of RSU forks). I believe the Suzuki shop manuals for the 96-98 RM250 and 125 show how to service them.

Here's a link to a reasonably priced one.

Good luck.

:cheers:

Thank you!

Sorry for the late replies, guys. For some reason I was getting some sort of notification that my replies would need admin approval. But then when I replied here from my mobile , it went through just fine. Appreciate the feedback!

not sure if you are still trying to figure out the shock rebuild issue. too bad you live in CALI. I have a 2002 RM125 that a guy I know who does suspension work for a living since 2001. I can give you contact info via a message if you want it. he lives across the street from Monster Mountain in Tallassee Alabama.

Renegade Suspensions...

On 11/6/2019 at 1:30 PM, KnotAPro said:

not sure if you are still trying to figure out the shock rebuild issue. too bad you live in CALI. I have a 2002 RM125 that a guy I know who does suspension work for a living since 2001. I can give you contact info via a message if you want it. he lives across the street from Monster Mountain in Tallassee Alabama.

Renegade Suspensions...

Thanks, but I picked a Suzuki (factory, not Clymer or other) manual and it did indeed have the instructions for this fork.

I guess it was a dumb question looking back but all the manuals I could find online did not show this fork so I was a little curious if I would be throwing money away.

Thanks, all!