motf

so what is general consensus here on TPI, sucks?

or blows? (engine)

Why very few factory riders use them in main enduro events?

Edited by motf

My 2020 is awesome.... Just like on my 4-stroke bikes, I'd never consider going back to a carb.  

Doc

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

It seems like a good amount of the guys that dislike them don't own one, most guys that have them seem to really like them.  Some guys like Yamaha, some like KTM, TPI vs carb is no different IMO.  

• Like 2

Fuel injection is very reliable on my 2 stroke evenrude outboard. No reason to think that dirtbikes would be any different. That being said, I would love to get my hands on a 2019 300xcw carb bike. Just because its the last of the breed and I have never had a carb related problem that I couldn't handle on the side of the trail. 

Edited by Bobatsea

2019 300 W TPI owner, getting ready to spend $1200 on a GETECU to get teh bike working like it sould have from teh Factory. This is my 7th and final KTM. have had ore tuning problems with KTMs than all other bikes ever, will be honda oryammy from here on out, tired of being a beta tester for KTM.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, masterblaster said:

2019 300 W TPI owner, getting ready to spend $1200 on a GETECU to get teh bike working like it sould have from teh Factory. This is my 7th and final KTM. have had ore tuning problems with KTMs than all other bikes ever, will be honda oryammy from here on out, tired of being a beta tester for KTM.  

Care to elaborate? My buddy hasnt had any issues with his 2019

Well I get a bogging motor in the bottom 20% of the throttle, bike is too lean, simple as that. KTM didn't get the fuelin right or close to right until this year.

yeah, I heard complains tpi motor runs more lean hence hotter, plus lubrication is not sufficient (at least at start up)

resulting in faster cylinder wear. Wonder how in practice top end intervals compare with carbs bike.

For me me the biggest problem is risk is oil pump failure and immediate engine failure because of that.

That put me off for now from tpi bikes.

Well I get a bogging motor in the bottom 20% of the throttle, bike is too lean, simple as that. KTM didn't get the fuelin right or close to right until this year.
Did you get the updated map

2 hours ago, motf said:

yeah, I heard complains tpi motor runs more lean hence hotter, plus lubrication is not sufficient (at least at start up)

resulting in faster cylinder wear. Wonder how in practice top end intervals compare with carbs bike.

For me me the biggest problem is risk is oil pump failure and immediate engine failure because of that.

Not so worried about that, if it will happen it will not cost that much to fix.

10 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

Fuel injection is very reliable on my 2 stroke evenrude outboard. No reason to think that dirtbikes would be any different. That being said, I would love to get my hands on a 2019 300xcw carb bike. Just because its the last of the breed and I have never had a carb related problem that I couldn't handle on the side of the trail. 

It would have to be an XC. All 19 250/300 XCW's were TPI's.

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, motf said:

Just shows you can find any result you want to find. Everyone I know personally that owns a TPI, including me, loves them and has no issues with them. No running noticeably hotter, no signs of leanness, no signs of premature wear, etc. And if anything, TPI's tend to over-oil at cold startup.

• Like 3

They have literally sold 10s of thousands of TPI bikes now.  Is there an occasional person with a TPI problem?  Sure.  But just looking at the posts here you'll probably see 100 posts about carb problems for every post about a TPI problem.  

I don't think I've seen a single case of an oil pump failure causing an engine failure.  Between all the KTM TPI bikes being ridden we're talking about probably over a million hours.

My bike doesn't run lean at all.  Here's a nice chocolatey brown plug insulator.  

IMG_20190815_172009373.thumb.jpg.9f7c763ae284af4bed7f993af3be0d41.jpg

If this was 1979 these same guys would be saying "I'm never going to a mono-shock.  2 shocks is obviously better..  mono-shocks are dumb.  They are just trying to save money ".

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

If this was 1979 these same guys would be saying "I'm never going to a mono-shock.  2 shocks is obviously better..  mono-shocks are dumb.  They are just trying to save money ".

Doc

yeah, I keep hearing these arugments but that's not the same and you cannot simply say every "innovation" is better just because it's new, especially recent years

when book keepers design cars and motorcycles plus green idiots powering them...

• Like 1

Just now, motf said:

yeah, I keep hearing these arugments but that's not the same and you cannot simply say every "innovation" is better just because it's new, especially recent years

when book keepers design cars and motorcycles plus green idiots powering them...

How many 4-stroke guys do you hear saying they miss the days of the pumper carbs?

Hey I'm going to stop trying to convince anyone.  There are people, for whatever reason, will hate what's new.  Ride what you want.  But you better buy a couple bikes and store them away.  Because my prediction is within 5 years you won't be able to by a carb'd high performance 2-stroke...  It's going to go down the same way as it did with the 4-strokes.  Then we'll all look back at the days of jetting crappy carbs like the Mikuki and laugh about it over a beer 

Doc

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

There are people, for whatever reason, will hate what's new. 

Doc

I will reapeat, not everything new is better then old - new bad is as bad as the old bad, no difference. I see some don't get it.

Idea of tpi is obviously good but implementation is a bit controversial.  From very simple  engine we ended up with quite complex one, 2 pumps, oil/fuel, injectors, sensors etc

etc

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, motf said:

I will reapeat, not everything new is better then old - new bad is as bad as the old bad, no difference. I see some don't get it.

Idea of tpi is obviously good but implementation is a bit controversial.  From very simple  engine we ended up with quite complex one, 2 pumps, oil/fuel, injectors, sensors etc

etc

Sorry... As much as I like a good pointless internet argument.   I'm loading my freaking awesome TPI bike up to go ride.  

Doc

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2