Dombrowsky106

Bad ankles what should i do?

I just had minor surgery on my ankle and when i recover i gotta get the right one done. Thinking about running ankle savers or just maybe braces. Thoughts or comments.

• Like 1

Get them special pefs for ankle problems.  Buddy uses them after tearing his Achilles tendon.  Says they're worth it 👍🏽

I would NOT recommend using a brace. I speak from experience of having shattered both tib and fib down at the ankle, nearly ripped my foot completely off. It was hanging by my achilles tendon. Work towards strengthening your leg muscles and getting flexibility back. My PT explained that using braces will weaken the very muscles that you want/need to be strong. YMMV 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I broken and torn out my ankles a bunch over the years. Been to the ER and referred to Orthopedic Surgeons, I’ve even had a surgeon tell my it was too bad for him and he wanted to send me to his mentor. In every last case I ended up going back to where I’m from in Louisville, Ky to the Rudy Ellis Clinic for sports medicine... and every time they told me the same thing, NO SURGERY!! Every last time I was told that “unless to need to get back on the field to get paid/scholarships you don’t want it”. Maybe they treated me that way because I had a parent that was a Dr and was friends with Rudy, but I implore you to get a 2nd/3rd opinions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dombrowsky106 said:

I just had minor surgery on my ankle and when i recover i gotta get the right one done. Thinking about running ankle savers or just maybe braces. Thoughts or comments.

Age? Weight?  Diet? 

How did you damage your ankles? 

2 hours ago, kxlubber said:

NO SURGERY!! Every last time I was told that “unless to need to get back on the field to get paid/scholarships you don’t want it”. 

I've torn my rotator cuffs before and that's what my doctor told me. 

"Since you don't have to be back on the mound in eight weeks, you will be taking it easy on overhead lifting for a year and they will heal themselves "

They're completely fine again. 

Oh, yeah. Go swimming. As in laps. Regularly. After a while, when you feel you can,  use fins and no hands/arms.

Fun fact. Swimming, and moto, are the only 2 common sports where you use every muscle in your body at the same time. So, perfect training for riding anyway. Bad ankle or not.

Also, excellent for people with Asthma. Builds up the lungs.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

For ankle strength/ strengthening you can’t beat ice skating/ inline/roller.
But really we all need a bit more info on you and what your looking for. MX or Enduro? Previous injuries? Your build? Your gear setup?

• Like 1

Good boots are like wearing braces. Wearing braces underneath the boots will not really help, but can't hurt.

I would, however, recommend rehab, then braces for off-the-bike activity. The "braces will make you weaker." advice is bunk. Rehab to strengthen the surrounding muscles is important, but badly damaged ligaments are never the same, so they need support. It only makes sense to brace stretched ligaments during the sport activity. You can walk around the rest of the day without braces.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 8:49 AM, Dombrowsky106 said:

Get into a gym with a trainer and work on stability exercises... Using ankle braces with weak ankles is like putting a helmet on and still banging your head against the wall... 

• Like 1