Hans Schmid

Are new bikes really that expensive?

Here is the cost of a 08 CRF450R... Outside the interest and insurance (which is nearly 20% which is stupid AF), the total cost was $9535.33. The bike was bought new Sept 30/09.... The total cost was $11,446.80 after financing and insurance... The bike maybe had 40hrs on it today... 

This is CND pricing too... 

20191026_121609.jpg

Edited by Hans Schmid

5 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Suzuki is a much better value for a host of reasons. 

Probably... Just shocked me how much this guy paid for this bike at the time... I only paid a couple 100 more for my 2019 FX350. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Probably... Just shocked me how much this guy paid for this bike at the time... I only paid a couple 100 more for my 2019 FX350. 

He paid the most money that the dealer was willing to accept and still be able to sleep that evening. 

Which is the definition of the sticker price. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MixinGasKickinAss said:

How do you convert $11,466 Monopoly money to real money?

$8779 usd today, not considering inflation.  $9858 usd by 2009's exchange rate.  According to an online inflation calculator, $11,466 in 2009 would be $13,759 in 2019.

Edited by Fatt_Tones
  • Like 1

bike loans are insanely expensive.

In the US, the list price of a new 2020 KTM 300 XCW is about $10K. Of course, you can't get it out the door for that. And it comes without a bash plate, real hand guards and other stuff that most folks think are needed before you take a $10K bike out in the rocks and logs and mud, etc. Add at least one thousand bucks for that. And the Governor wants close to a grand for taxes. Still more if you want title, registration tags and insurance.

Compared to cars that are interesting to operate, I think new dirt bikes are very inexpensive

• Like 3

I paid 7K aud for a new 2016 RMZ250.

In 2013. I paid 7K usd for an RMZ 250 :D. The AUD was worth more than the USD at that time.

My new 83 CR80 was $9.73.00 aud. My 89 CR250 was just under 6K aud new.

It's only money. I don't want the money, just the bikes and after market parts it can give me access to.

I spent well over 30K aud on this. So far. Some people may freak out about that, I couldn't care less. "It's only money". I love toys, money shits me to tears and just makes life difficult. 

It's the 2013 RMZ 250 I paid 7K usd for. Just been slightly tweaked.

I'd get at least 4.5/5K aud for it now though. Who give's a shit? The Mrs might, I don't.

thumbnail_101_6035.jpg

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 7
  • Helpful 2

1 minute ago, Drop-Bear said:

It's only money. I don't want the money, just the bikes and after market parts it can give me access to.

I spent well over 30K aud on this. So far. Some people may freak out about that, I couldn't care less.

thumbnail_101_6035.jpg

Dude that thing is sick!

....and you're right....lots of people leave thousands on the table over much sillier things than a dirt bike.  Sometimes investments into one's sanity and happiness are not measurable in monetary terms....so to speak.  I give up something of myself in the sacrifices I make to earn my dollar......so the way I see it, the investment in the bike helps me get some of that back, that nothing else can.

• Like 5

One thing the planet is not short of, is cash/money. There's tons of it. Yet, somehow, people have trouble accumulating it. Amazes me.

I found a 701 Husky on GumTree last Friday night. Had zero $$ to my name. By Sunday, had 8.5K cash to buy it. Bought it home Thursday.

"Where there is will. There's always a way". If you want something bad enough, you just make it happen, anyway you can.

Work is for suckers. Same as Income tax. Who's getting good value for their money from their Income tax. Anyone? Unlikely.

2 sayings come to mind. "Work to live. Don't live to work". And "You don't work for money. You make money work for you". Actually, you make debt work for you.

3rd saying. "It's not rocket science".

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

In 1978 I paid $1200 Canadian for a brand new YZ125. Doing a conversion based on inflation that same bike today would be $4725

$1,200 in 1978 → $4,725.63 in 2019

Which, in US dollars would be $3618.

Are the bikes better today? Yes, much better and more complex, but so is the 55" TV I just bought and it was about half the price my parents paid for their big colour set in the 70's.

Are new bikes really that expensive? They're priced like almost everything else, by what the market will bear.

Now, I did just pay $4700 (USD) for a leftover 2018 YZ125 but that looks more favourable than it is because of the conversion

• Like 1

Did y'all see the lines:

Credit life insurance..............$400.63

Disability insurance...............$879.11

Wow, I wonder how much the dealer's insurance broker buddy kicked back to him?

Also an "advance tire disposal" fee of $10. However, he will have to pay another disposal fee whenever he replaces the tires, so basically in Canada you pay for the disposal before you even use them. Same with the battery.

$595.53 for  British Columbia sales tax

$425.70 for GST (goods and services tax)

Taxes and insurance (non vehicle related insurance) added $2300 to the out the door price! 

When I bought my '06 DR650 new it was listed at $5499.  I rode it off of the lot with a new helmet for my bank account lighter by $5600 after taxes and fees.

• Like 5

new leftover 2017 Honda crf450rx for sale at a local dealer is listed at $6480 plus dealer bs costs.  I bought a leftover WR250f for a little less.  Opportunities are out there just have to dig for for them

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, donwann said:

Did y'all see the lines:

Also an "advance tire disposal" fee of $10. However, he will have to pay another disposal fee whenever he replaces the tires, so basically in Canada you pay for the disposal before you even use them. Same with the battery.

Taxes and insurance (non vehicle related insurance) added $2300 to the out the door price! 

When I bought my '06 DR650 new it was listed at $5499.  I rode it off of the lot with a new helmet for my bank account lighter by $5600 after taxes and fees.

Yeah, the $5 battery fee... Lol, there is no dam battery... 

It's just crazy how much this bike sold for 10yrs ago

• Like 1

Fortunately early 2000’s bikes are around 2k here and very nice bikes if you find a well maintained one. 

2 minutes ago, AxlBundy said:

Fortunately early 2000’s bikes are around 2k here and very nice bikes if you find a well maintained one. 

My 06 RM125, that owes me around 9K, is worth at least 4K aud :smirk:

You're not Investing in the bike. you're Investing in the memories it makes. Good memories are priceless.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2

Did y'all see the lines:

I used to do financing for a dealership back the 90’s. Credit life disability was a 100% mark up. If it cost $1000 on the loan documents the dealer made $500. No inventory costs. Just found money for them. To be honest when I started selling it I felt kind of slimey but in the five years I sold it I saw it save enough people financial asses due to work injuries etc that I decided it wasn’t my business to make a moral judgement. My job was to offer it and let the adult on the other side of the desk decide what was right for them and their situation.