Sur Ron - who's got one

I've watched a bunch of those Hawaii riding videos and I think this bike would be perfect for me, I just don't know if I should hold out for the next generation or get one later this year. I ride mtb sometimes and the prospect that I can still hit all the same dirt bike trails without the cons of an ICE bike is very tempting. 

On 6/1/2020 at 12:03 PM, Flo-Orange said:

I've watched a bunch of those Hawaii riding videos and I think this bike would be perfect for me, I just don't know if I should hold out for the next generation or get one later this year. I ride mtb sometimes and the prospect that I can still hit all the same dirt bike trails without the cons of an ICE bike is very tempting. 

These bikes can be a little hard to get, world-wide demand is still much greater than production, and I don't think the picture will be getting any better in a big hurry. If the bike is right for you I would get one when you can. You can buy one from segway, but I don't think they are offering any parts/service support or supply.

Edited by xch3no2

16 hours ago, xch3no2 said:

These bikes can be a little hard to get, world-wide demand is still much greater than production, and I don't think the picture will be getting any better in a big hurry. If the bike is right for you I would get one when you can. You can buy one from segway, but I don't think they are offering any parts/service support or supply.

Yeah I've been watching the store page and they definitely seem to go quick. The only downside seems to be parts availability since every site I've seen says 1-2 months special order for anything, but for what I'm doing it would have to be an unlucky break. I like the idea of turning the key and riding out the door for some days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 6:59 PM, Aspencreek said:

I've seen some talk of that on the Sur Ron owners Facebook page but mostly just people anxiously asking about release dates lately.  This was posted a couple months ago from Luna:  "Coming soon in time for xmas season ASI hot rodders plug and play kit with 88v Luna Cycle XXX Wolf Battery. Because the best bike deserves the best controller and the best battery. And we aren't going to release this kit until it is completely refined."

Should be a massive increase in power output over stock Sur Rons.  Not sure, but I'd guess they would offer it both as an upgrade kit if you already have a bike, or installed as the Light Bee Pro or Killer Bee model.  I wouldn't mind a bit of a power increase but I'd really like to have a jump in range if anything.   

It’s a bad idea only because it’s 260 Lbs., called the Storm Bee. At that weight, other than possibly price, there is no advantage, and much better to get the best in that weight/power class—KTM Freeride.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:25 AM, snowdave said:

That looks like, "Oh crap, battery doesn't fit lying down. We'll just slap it in and figure it out later."

Why would anyone of experience want a 260 Lb. Chinese bike over a KTM Freeride; it makes no possible sense ither than possibly price.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Freeride electric?  How heavy is that? How much? Have you ridden one yet???  

It’s 244 lbs. KTM are the top engineers in Dirt Bikes, and their pioneering electric Freeride model is years ahead of any electric dirt bike on the market. The only issue is the top speed is 50 mph, but you would think that should increase pretty soon with battery technology. They are probably expensive as the marquis name in motorcross racing. Everyone who has ridden the KTM Freeride that I listened to said it’s incredibly fun.

Edited by Stef Delarge
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stef Delarge said:

It’s 244 lbs. KTM are the top engineers in Dirt Bikes, and their pioneering electric Freeride model is years ahead of any electric dirt bike on the market. The only issue is the top speed is 50 mph, but you would think that should increase pretty soon with battery technology. They are probably expensive as the marquis name in motorcross racing. Everyone who has ridden the KTM Freeride that I listened to said it’s incredibly fun.

I got a flock of friends that are  full on Surron now . Those go 50 mph or so and super light. I don’t know around? 125 lbs or something? The electric bike thing is moving. I haven’t seen the electric ktm freeride yet. Bring em all out!! Let’s see how they work! More options for riding the better. Ive seen a bunch of Surron. One ride had around 12 or 15 Surron and they charge some gnarly trails.. I think I might get one further in the future but I’m still liking full size gas dirtbikes for now. Locally Surrons run around 4 grand. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I got a flock of friends that are  full on Surron now . Those go 50 mph or so and super light. I don’t know around? 125 lbs or something? The electric bike thing is moving. I haven’t seen the electric ktm freeride yet. Bring em all out!! Let’s see how they work! More options for riding the better. Ive seen a bunch of Surron. One ride had around 12 or 15 Surron and they charge some gnarly trails.. I think I might get one further in the future but I’m still liking full size gas dirtbikes for now. Locally Surrons run around 4 grand. 

Just ordered the Sur-Ron X Black edition last week: 110Lbs. 50 MPH with new quieter SINE controller. Have to wait six weeks for delivery. I bought it because of its light weight, speed and stealth--and relatively inexpensive. Love gas dirt bikes, but my bike is 240Lbs. and can't always take em everywhere like the quiet electrics.

Edited by Stef Delarge
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stef Delarge said:

Just ordered the Sur-Ron X Black edition last week: 110Lbs. 50 MPH with new quieter SINE controller. Have to wait six weeks for delivery. I bought it because of its light weight, speed and stealth--and relatively inexpensive. Love gas dirt bikes, but my bike is 240Lbs. and can't always take em everywhere like the quiet electrics.

wow 6 weeks!  I have a couple friends that had a couple brand new Surron and invited me to buy. I could have just picked them up. I wonder if the got a deal on buying a few and just planned on selling excess to friends and whom ever..A few of my buddies are full on swallowed the hook loving em . 

I believe the KTM Freeride is 3/4 sized, 85 frame and suspension. Storm Bee will be full sized. Alta is full sized.

Someone on one of the forums was talking about doing a Sur Ron Lite Bee X, Freeride, Atla comparison video, if I come across it I'll post up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:23 AM, Woods_Rider said:

One guy's Sur Ron ownership experience: https://www.webbikeworld.com/sur-ron-light-bee-review/

And a short vid:

All the Alta fanatics are eagerly awaiting the release of Sur Ron's larger dirt bike, will be interesting to see how it matches up vs the Alta.

Edited by Stef Delarge

10 minutes ago, Stef Delarge said:

Way too heavy, better to stick with the KTM Freeride than a heavy Chinese novice.

Alta is about that heavy ( heavier?)and hauls ass and handles . A freeride I don’t think handles that great. Good for technical and some trail riding though. Is Alta ever coming back??? Seems like some company could pick up the ball on that one. 
.. but this upgraded Surron is here. 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/alta-motors-announces-the-2019-redshift-exr-300665148.html

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

What’s the weight of a ktm electric freeride?

244lbs, but the point was, the whole purpose of buying Sur-Ron is the light weight (torque & stealth), at least that’s why I bought one; once you go over 220lbs, why the heck would you choose a cheap Chinese novice over the pinnacle of Austrian dirt bike engineering. The logic escapes me, even the price.

Just now, Stef Delarge said:

244lbs, but the point was, the whole purpose of buying Sur-Ron is the light weight (torque & stealth & price), at least that’s why I bought one; once you go over 220lbs, why the heck would you choose a cheap 270+lbs heavy Chinese novice over the pinnacle of Austrian dirt bike engineering. The logic escapes me, even by price.