WestTexas

Is the Wr250r any good off road?

How does the WR250R do in enduro/single track environments? No competition for me, just pure, go to family owned land and have fun one day and go do some ADV riding the next, which is why I'm looking and asking about the WRR.

How does the WR250R do in enduro/single track environments? No competition for me, just pure, go to family owned land and have fun one day and go do some ADV riding the next, which is why I'm looking and asking about the WRR.

I’ve owned a few different bikes and ridden them on/off road. So far this is my favorite dual sport. It’s not perfect and stock settings aren’t ideal for single track, but you can cruise around and have some fun. I do. I can’t wait to get better sprocket size and tires on it (so it’s a little bit better at the off-road).

22 minutes ago, Brolobowlin said:

I’ve owned a few different bikes and ridden them on/off road. So far this is my favorite dual sport. It’s not perfect and stock settings aren’t ideal for single track, but you can cruise around and have some fun. I do. I can’t wait to get better sprocket size and tires on it (so it’s a little bit better at the off-road).

I wont be doing anything hardcore because I'm still a noob with bikes lol. I can up grade things as I go along and gain more skill, I'm not afraid to to modify things as needed.

Hell, I'll probably throw a yami link in it and a seat concepts lower seat first thing. Exhaust system will be on the list as well. Suspension will be on the list once I gain skills.

I test rode one in single track before buying mine. I preferred it by a lot in tight stuff over a DRZ 400. You have to slip the clutch a lot to get it to work, but the WR has a nice clutch. I'd leave the stock pipe in place. Mine has an FMF and I'm going to return it to stock. Lower gearing and real tires make a noticeable difference.

Edited by nicad

3 hours ago, nicad said:

I test rode one in single track before buying mine. I preferred it by a lot in tight stuff over a DRZ 400. You have to slip the clutch a lot to get it to work, but the WR has a nice clutch. I'd leave the stock pipe in place. Mine has an FMF and I'm going to return it to stock. Lower gearing and real tires make a noticeable difference.

I talked to the dealership Saturday, they didn't have one in stock but I told them I wanted one for sure so they're gonna get me one in once the papers are signed next weekend. I'm gonna have to do a few things to it like a yami link and seat concepts low seat, but overall I'm gonna leave it stock for now.

6 minutes ago, Jens Eskildsen said:

Lower gearing really helps to wake the bike up, especially for singletrack.

That's on the list of things to do to it when I pick it up in a couple weeks. 

It is ok in the single track. To be fair I am comparing this to my KTM 250XC which is around 60 pounds lighter and I have a 30 inch inseam with a stock height bike. 

I did some weight measurements. The WR with 1.5 gallons in the tank takes 48 pounds of force to pull it over from a 30 degree lean. The KTM with 3 gallons takes 36 pounds of force. Lean angle was measured on the front brake disc. A fishing scale was hooked to the bar ends.

12 pounds feels a lot heavier especially when you factor in inertia. Riding through the same stuff on both bikes; I dropped the WR 2 times in a row.  I never dropped the KTM.  I was a bit winded after picking it up twice.  I am sure the WR is light compared to a 650 dual sport.

The KTM is easy to flick around. It is narrower and the weight is centered lower so it makes it easy to change directions and save it when you lose your footing or have a tire slide out. I can recover from a much steeper lean angle than I can on the WR.

This is not bashing the WR. Its a dualsport not a woods race bike. 

Takes 48 pounds to pull the WR off the jeep tire.

1038955902_leanangle.jpg.7f8a164d246fb5c2c95a677428108d26.jpg

1460726883_WRdown2.jpg.e2de9d1d0bd696c543c962bcfa052179.jpg

1454640384_WRdown.jpg.f2e87d5fc8c97bb3ef7bcd28421135ca.jpg  

17 minutes ago, Grant31781 said:

It is ok in the single track. To be fair I am comparing this to my KTM 250XC which is around 60 pounds lighter and I have a 30 inch inseam with a stock height bike. 

I did some weight measurements. The WR with 1.5 gallons in the tank takes 48 pounds of force to pull it over from a 30 degree lean. The KTM with 3 gallons takes 36 pounds of force. Lean angle was measured on the front brake disc. A fishing scale was hooked to the bar ends.

12 pounds feels a lot heavier especially when you factor in inertia. Riding through the same stuff on both bikes; I dropped the WR 2 times in a row.  I never dropped the KTM.  I was a bit winded after picking it up twice.  I am sure the WR is light compared to a 650 dual sport.

The KTM is easy to flick around. It is narrower and the weight is centered lower so it makes it easy to change directions and save it when you lose your footing or have a tire slide out. I can recover from a much steeper lean angle than I can on the WR.

This is not bashing the WR. Its a dualsport not a woods race bike. 

Takes 48 pounds to pull the WR off the jeep tire.

1038955902_leanangle.jpg.7f8a164d246fb5c2c95a677428108d26.jpg

1460726883_WRdown2.jpg.e2de9d1d0bd696c543c962bcfa052179.jpg

1454640384_WRdown.jpg.f2e87d5fc8c97bb3ef7bcd28421135ca.jpg  

The dealership asked me about a KTM250 dual sport, but the Yamaha is more in my price range so it's the one I'm opting for. The way I see it, I'll learn to handle it the whole time I have it, so in the future if I upgrade to a lighter bike like a KTM, then I'll be even better at riding.

The KTM 250 dual sport is a tagged race bike. It would not be great on road and would be very maintenance heavy. If you are riding 90% woods and 10% road the KTM would work well.

The WR is great because of the low maintenance and its relative low weight and pricing.

A 350 or 500 KTM would be a better Dualsport. These are still maintenance heavy. Beta makes dualsport bikes that are kind of in between.

2 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

The KTM 250 dual sport is a tagged race bike. It would not be great on road and would be very maintenance heavy. If you are riding 90% woods and 10% road the KTM would work well.

The WR is great because of the low maintenance and its relative low weight and pricing.

A 350 or 500 KTM would be a better Dualsport. These are still maintenance heavy. Beta makes dualsport bikes that are kind of in between.

That's what the salesman said. I will be spending most of my time in the woods, but I'd rather have the Yamaha because it's more in my price range. The maintenance on the Yamaha is another thing that extremely attractive to me.

Texas, if you're going to doing some rides seated the majority of the time, have a look at one of our 10"+ wide seats. If you stand up more often, then we do build narrower versions. Riders looking for all day comfort even bump up to an 11" wide seat like shown below. I've only been riding the heavier dual sports (less than 500cc) on single track and they work fine. While the enduro bikes are an easier ride, I still need cargo. So the added weight is less important when I bolt on 30+ lbs. I'm usually on a CRF450x or DRZ400 for reference.

fisherseats.com

WR250x_seat_Yamaha_FISHER_11w.jpg

Edited by Fisher Seats

9 hours ago, Fisher Seats said:

Texas, if you're going to doing some rides seated the majority of the time, have a look at one of our 10"+ wide seats. If you stand up more often, then we do build narrower versions. Riders looking for all day comfort even bump up to an 11" wide seat like shown below. I've only been riding the heavier dual sports (less than 500cc) on single track and they work fine. While the enduro bike are an easier ride, I still near cargo. So the added weight is less important when I bolt on 30+ lbs. I'm usually on a CRF450x or DRZ400 for reference.

fisherseats.com

WR250x_seat_Yamaha_FISHER_11w.jpg

I'll definitely check them out!

• Like 1

I own 4 bikes and the wrr is my favorite bike, its does good on the street and handle the dirt very well plus very reliable, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulie1960 said:

I own 4 bikes and the wrr is my favorite bike, its does good on the street and handle the dirt very well plus very reliable, 

I'm going to sign some papers on one today. I'm not sure yet if they can finance me (I've got decent credit) , but I'm gonna see what they can do. I'm gonna be awful sad if they dont finance me😂😂

8 minutes ago, WestTexas said:

I'm going to sign some papers on one today. I'm not sure yet if they can finance me (I've got decent credit) , but I'm gonna see what they can do. I'm gonna be awful sad if they dont finance me😂😂

There are used ones with all the upgrades for like pipe and programer for around 4000 

And Kawasaki came out with the klx300r for 5000 new,, a consideration, never rode one but has similar spec. And size to the wrr with more low end torque and lighter

1 hour ago, paulie1960 said:

There are used ones with all the upgrades for like pipe and programer for around 4000 

Not in my area. Dual sports are not common in my area.

Is the KLX300 street legal? I thought only the klx230 was the only street legal version that kawi has right now?