Jpchaos1

I am stumped (01 wr250f

Need some help guys......... Bought a 01wr250f (not running).  Has new top and bottom.  I've checked and adjusted valves, all are now in spec.  Timing marks are dead on.  I rebuilt the carb and rejetted for current conditions. 

Bike is getting fuel spark and air. 

I know the starting procedure (used to have a 400)......

WHAT AM I MISSING,  SHE WONT FIRE. 

THANKS I. ADVANCE. 

Need some help guys......... Bought a 01wr250f (not running).  Has new top and bottom.  I've checked and adjusted valves, all are now in spec.  Timing marks are dead on.  I rebuilt the carb and rejetted for current conditions. 
Bike is getting fuel spark and air. 
I know the starting procedure (used to have a 400)......
WHAT AM I MISSING,  SHE WONT FIRE. 

THANKS I. ADVANCE. 

Will it fire if you spray a bit of starter fluid down carb throat?

I'm hitting 90 psi on comp test. I didn't do the rebuild..... I think that's a lil low.. Thoughts?

Just for the he!! of it check if the flywheel key is in it properly. It’s very possible it got pushed out when the flywheel was installed which would throw cam timing and ignition timing off. Clay

Just for the he!! of it check if the flywheel key is in it properly. It’s very possible it got pushed out when the flywheel was installed which would throw cam timing and ignition timing off. Clay
I'll check that out. Thanks

should be around 180 psi
correct head gasket ?
I have no idea, I didn't do the rebuild.

I ordered a top and an auto decomp cam, just gonna rebuild, so I know it's right.

The gasket is correct. all the valves were way out of spec when I got it, and the timing was off by 180° . Safe bet the kid that tried to do the top botched it. I already ordered parts, figure with all the "engenuitive repairs"on this thing, probably better to start at square one and fix any other issues as I build her back up. I'll keep updating as I go.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jpchaos1 said:

The gasket is correct. all the valves were way out of spec when I got it, and the timing was off by 180° . Safe bet the kid that tried to do the top botched it. I already ordered parts, figure with all the "engenuitive repairs"on this thing, probably better to start at square one and fix any other issues as I build her back up. I'll keep updating as I go.

Thanks for the help guys.

What were the valves clearances ? Were they too large? 

He may have stuffed up the timing and bent the valves. 

• Like 1

What were the valves clearances ? Were they too large? 
He may have stuffed up the timing and bent the valves. 
Great point, hadn't thought of that. Most were off by(0.15-0.20). The right exhaust valve was over by 0.60+ I didn't have a guage any bigger . I re-shimmed and all are in spec now and appear to be working properly. I'll pull the valves and inspect tomorrow though.

Update.......

Valves are not Bent and are in spec.
Carb is freshly rebuilt and working correctly.
New top end and auto decomp cam are installed, and timing is spot on.
I swapped for a hotter iridium plug,
She's getting fuel, air, and spark.

I got two lil "pops" last night, like it wanted to fire but still nothing. This thing is whooping my ass.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Two things that may be possibilities but they’re out there possibilities. First make sure the vacuum release plate is on correctly and not upside down. The one I experienced still started fine but had a weird spot you could almost get rid of with jetting.  Still worth a quick check. Second make sure idle speed isn’t turned way up. Since it has an enrichener and not a choke plate there won’t be enough vacuum to pull extra fuel if the throttle is opened too far. These are out there ideas but it’s hard to figure out without being there sometimes. Keep digging! Clay

I THINK I FOUND IT! so I decided to dig into the "professional "bottom end job... Just to check. Took off flywheel cover and had a thought that maybe my issues that all seem like timing to me could be in the stator. Pulled the flywheel and bam. That GD keeper key was gone and the flywheel was just stuffed on. I'm not an expert mechanic..... But it would seem that although I'm getting spark it is no where near in time with the ignition stroke. F#&k my life all this aggravation over a $3 keeper key. End rant.... Or brilliant conclusion, haven't decided yet lol.

Thanks again guys.

• Like 1