Hi. Tried Enduro a few times in borrowed bike (2012 ktm exc250) and loved it. Want to buy a bike and start riding.

I live in Portugal, My budget is limited, and at the prices here I can't get good state 1999/2000 XR250.

I'm 6 foot and around 180/190lbs, so my guess is if the bike will handle the trails around here. A lot of singlegrack, rock gardens, rock climbs, hillclimbs. Basically hard Enduro. And if it will be able to go on raids and events without being to slow and not able to keep up with my friends (they ride fairly well)

I need a 4t because I'll be using the bike to move around town and such.

Wanted an opinion about the xr250, thanks

Edited by Guilherme Esteves

Honda's trail bikes the (xr250 you are talking)about will run forever and are pretty much bullet proof. Although they are great bikes its going to be extremely different from the ktm exc250 you rode.  The xr is a great starter bike but will be lacking in the power department and will be alot heavier than the ktm. 

12 minutes ago, Guilherme Esteves said:

Hi. Tried Enduro a few times in borrowed bike (2012 ktm exc250) and loved it. Want to buy a bike and start riding.

I live in Portugal, My budget is limited, and at the prices here I can't get good state 1999/2000 XR250.

I'm 6 foot and around 180/190lbs, so my guess is if the bike will handle the trails around here. A lot of singlegrack, rock gardens, rock climbs, hillclimbs. Basically hard Enduro. And if it will be able to go on raids and events without being to slow and not able to keep up with my friends (they ride fairly well)

I need a 4t because I'll be using the bike to move around town and such.

Wanted an opinion about the xr250, thanks

XR's were good but (unless pristine) that is a 20 year old dirt bike. You may end up spending as much to get it into shape as you would for a new(er) one. 

Edited by 00boob

4 minutes ago, evanrc541 said:

Honda's trail bikes the (xr250 you are talking)about will run forever and are pretty much bullet proof. Although they are great bikes its going to be extremely different from the ktm exc250 you rode.  The xr is a great starter bike but will be lacking in the power department and will be alot heavier than the ktm. 

I liked XR's too but NOTHING "will run forever".

their good bikes and easy to ride. they don't have much hp but they have good torque to chug through rock gardens etc. as long as it doesn't smoke when its warm it should last a long time. most XRs burn a bit of oil so keep an eye on that by checking the oil when its thoroughly warmed up. buy it, ride it a season or 2 then upgrade.

The XR is a great trail bike and, as stated above, run forever. If the one you're considering is in good shape it is definitely something to consider. You may find it a little under powered though so be certain it has the grunt you need. Also, they're old bike so parts can be difficult to come by. Thankfully there were plenty of the sold making them more attractive to third party parts manufacturers. I would highly recommend you research the availability of parts before purchasing. A friend of mine has a 1980's vintage XR and parts are becoming scarce for it.

10 hours ago, Guilherme Esteves said:

The one Being sold near me has only 8500miles, done in road and light dirt roads... And very good price because the owner just wants to let it go

Sounds like a good buy. The most important advice (if you do buy it) I would give you is... Keep up with engine oil maintenance. I believe Honda recommends oil and oil filter changes every 1000 miles (1600km), MORE FREQUENTLY with severe use such as extreme dust or water crossings. IMHO, I would change the engine oil after ANY deep water crossings. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!:ride:

I owned a 97 for about 5years and loved it. The front fork springs were WAY too soft, so I replaced those with a lot stiffer ones. The motor does lack power, I drilled out the tailpipe and raised the needle in the carb to its highest setting, and that gave it lots more pep. XRs' don't use shim & bucket on their valves, there are caps that unscrew on the valve cover and valve adjusting is very easy. If the bike runs good and you are comfortable with the price, buy it and good luck!