Alan-S

First Bike for Wife

My wife is an advanced mountain biker (downhill and front range riding here in Colorado). We have recently started dirt biking. I originally bought a Honda CRF250f (2019). I rode it about 10 hrs in the mountains of Colorado and quickly felt like I was out riding the bike. I got a KTM 250 XC-W TPI and absolutely LOVE it. Meanwhile, my wife has been riding the Honda. She is being extremely conservative and not riding aggressively. She has been getting feedback from some of the people that we ride with that she needs to be on a lighter bike, i.e. XC-W 150 or TE150i. I don't completely disagree, but I also think that 40lbs is not that big of a deal at the level she is riding. Do I jump her to the lighter 2-stroke or should she stay at it with the 250f until she really needs and can appreciate the additional power, suspension, and weight savings.

I weigh 180

She is 5'7" weighs 120

my personal opinion is you should move her up when she is outriding the suspension, motor and brakes on the CRF250F.

That being said, yes 40 lbs makes a big difference.  The two strokes enduro models are basically 20-35 lbs lighter than the 4 stroke equivalents.  If you do move here us to a Beta X trainer, Beta 200 RR or any of the KTM/Husky two strokes make sure you modify/lower the suspension (change springs to for her weight and have professionally lowered).

You already saw/felt you were outriding this bike....is she doing the same?  If not, let her gain her confidence before dropping big money on watercooled two stroke offroad/enduro bikes like your 250 XC-W.

SilvFx, That is exactly how I feel in your last statement. I don't think the early move to the lighter bike is going to be too much of a jump.  I guess I just want to see her earn it a little more. But at the same time, I suppose she could progress a little faster on the lighter bike. I weigh 50lbs more and am 2-3 times stronger than her. Maybe the extra weight is affecting her more than I think. I suppose that is the question I am asking. Is the 250f legitimately holding her back?

Meanwhile my 11yo, 70lb son is literally running circles around her on his 160lb 110f. He could care less that is 2.5x his weight, he is just stoked to be on a dirtbike.

18 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

Beta xtrainer. 

then you can borrow it when she starts to whip your ass in the tight stuff😀

Edited by ManitouMike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan-S said:

SilvFx, That is exactly how I feel in your last statement. I don't think the early move to the lighter bike is going to be too much of a jump.  I guess I just want to see her earn it a little more. But at the same time, I suppose she could progress a little faster on the lighter bike. I weigh 50lbs more and am 2-3 times stronger than her. Maybe the extra weight is affecting her more than I think. I suppose that is the question I am asking. Is the 250f legitimately holding her back?

Meanwhile my 11yo, 70lb son is literally running circles around her on his 160lb 110f. He could care less that is 2.5x his weight, he is just stoked to be on a dirtbike.

I doubt if the CRF250F is holding her back, probably just more of a confidence thing.  She might be a good MTB rider, but there is a big difference between men and women which you are already seeing with your son (and I'm sure you see with MTBing).  I mean she is a mom

One thing about a heavier aircooled bike is that they should be confidence inspiring in the tight slow stuff and will be a lot easier than something like a KTM 150 XC-W that will need to be ridden more aggressively than the aircooled trail bike.  That being said, make sure a the CRF250F is not too tall for her.  She should be able to flat foot that easily on level ground as a beginner dirt bike rider (I am not familiar with the actual seat height of these new models).  If she cant, get it lowered or look for a linkage kit to lower it.  If a new rider can stop/start with confidence on steep uneven stuff, it will make the experience way more fun and confidence inspiring.  Scared riders make a lot of dumb mistakes in my opinion and then they dont like to ride and they dont progress very fast.  So kind of a judgment call on what you are seeing while watching her ride.

The only other thing that I can think of and I did this with my daughter (5' 5") is I bought her a KX100 and turned it into as much of a trail bike as possible (there are still a LOT of compromises for offroad riding in Colorado at altitude).  She enjoyed riding that because she could throw it around more...those weigh about 150 lbs...and they are fast...which means they need to be ridden aggressively.  At the time, I bought it used for something like $1700.  She rode it a couple seasons and I think I sold it for $1750 when she moved up to a KDX200.  So didn't require a big investment and I didn't eat any depreciation on it.  I suppose you could try the same thing and see how she does with a smaller and a lot more powerful bike like that (about 5.5 lbs per hp)

She would probably love it in a place like Rampart that you can ride fast and there aren't a ton of steep rocky climbs.  On the other hand, she probably wouldnt like it when you take her to those high alpine, rocky 4 wd roads such as Webster Pass, RedCone, Georgia Pass, Middle Deer Creek that I saw in one of your other threads.  That's where a torquey aircooled trail bike that you can pick your way up a steep loose rocky trail comes in a lot more handy.

FYI...daughters progression:  CRF100F --> KX100 -->  KDX200.  If she had more time to ride and wanted to go more frequently, I would probably upgrade her to something like a Beta 200RR or KTM 150 XC-W both with the suspension professionally lowered  (I'm bummed they discontinued the 200 XC-W) or even and X-Trainer (which would also probably have to be lowered), but dont wanna drop that kind of cash for someone who can ride a couple times a summer.  I certainly didnt want to spend that kind of money when I wasnt even sure if it was her thing which brought me to the KX100 and then the KDX200.

Another thought is the KX100 could be a hand me down bike to your son when he is ready.  Last stray thought is to keep your eyes open for KTM 105 XC....super rare but a more offroad version of the KX100 or KTM 105 SX.  Was looking at those too when I got the KX100, but they were like double the price in the used market.  Honda CRF150RB is the Honda MX equivalent to the KX100/KTM 105... and weighs about 20 lbs more than the two strokers.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:01 AM, SilvFx said:

That being said, make sure a the CRF250F is not too tall for her.  She should be able to flat foot that easily on level ground as a beginner dirt bike rider (I am not familiar with the actual seat height of these new models).  If she cant, get it lowered or look for a linkage kit to lower it.  If a new rider can stop/start with confidence on steep uneven stuff, it will make the experience way more fun and confidence inspiring.  Scared riders make a lot of dumb mistakes in my opinion and then they dont like to ride and they dont progress very fast.  So kind of a judgment call on what you are seeing while watching her ride.

This. Don't underestimate the effect that confidence has on a newer rider, and especially females, as they are often lighter and weaker than guys. Those 40lbs are heaps when she gets off balance, and moreso if it's somewhere she can't reach the ground easily.

As above, something a bit boring with a low seat and friendly power is often the answer. 

• Like 1

I’m a short female rider (5’3 & 125lbs) and those extra pounds on a heavier bike do make a difference. My previous 2 bikes were a CRF230 & 250 XCF-W. I switched to a Beta XTrainer and it has made a difference for me. I can get myself out situations on the trail easier & pick up my bike when I tip over. It has also helped my endurance because the lighter bike doesn’t wear me out as much which means I can go on longer rides.

Since I was used to a 4 stroke, it took me a few rides to get used to the 2 stroke. I miss the planted feel of a heavier bike on fire roads, but on the trails my XTrainer is light and easy to ride. Definitely glad I have a lighter bike!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shrubitup said:

YZ125X 

I keep forgetting about this new model from Yamaha.  Looks interesting and lightweight (209 lbs wet....which is pretty light for a full size bike).  No lighting and no elec start (at least not that I saw).  A very tall seat height (37.6") so would guess it needs lowering for his 5' 7" wife.

I am kind of curious about the 6 speed gearbox.  Is it wide ratio?  Semi-wide. MX close ratio?  I know the YZ125 MX version is a 6 speed box....wonder if they are using same one or if they modified for the cross country model.  Any idea of the specific gear ratios and primary drive ratio or where someone might be able to look that up? 

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/cross-country/models/yz125x

1 hour ago, SilvFx said:

I keep forgetting about this new model from Yamaha.  Looks interesting and lightweight (209 lbs wet....which is pretty light for a full size bike).  No lighting and no elec start (at least not that I saw).  A very tall seat height (37.6") so would guess it needs lowering for his 5' 7" wife.

I am kind of curious about the 6 speed gearbox.  Is it wide ratio?  Semi-wide. MX close ratio?  I know the YZ125 MX version is a 6 speed box....wonder if they are using same one or if they modified for the cross country model.  Any idea of the specific gear ratios and primary drive ratio or where someone might be able to look that up? 

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/cross-country/models/yz125x

Same MX gearbox but I think two teeth larger rear sprocket. I've rode @GreenMT_Rider bike twice and it is 360 degrees different than a motocross oriented 125 two stroke.

They used a different power valve and CDI on the bike which results in great low/mid trail oriented power. :ride:

• Like 1