Gapless rings anyone?

I was wondering if anyone here tried the totalseal gapless irngs on their 426? Ive had great succes using htem on my 2 strokes with power increases of 5-8% (3-5HP) all across the rev range on back-to-back dynomometer tests. they seem to increase bottom end, and bottom to mid transition DRAMATICLY! and they also helped when revving real hard and on hard charges when torqueing through gears uphill. anyone used these rings ont heir 4 stroke? I just wanted to see before i baught a set of them from totalseal for my 426f!

Gapless rings? :)

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: sirthumpalot ]

Ive heard of them for cars but I diddn't know they made them for bikes. I guess it makes sense. they are both 4-strokes.

they will make em for anythign you want, as long as u put down the cash

how much? Where do you get them? Reliability?

I had an eleven second bug (full bodied car) and I used them on that motor. They work well. The gapless ring goes in the second postion on the fourstroke motors. I dont thing youll get as dramatic results on a fourstroke motor as you will on a two stroke, but they do cut your leak down. Ive seen total seal motors with leak down numbers as low as 1%. For those of you that dont know what the heck Im talking about, a really good leak down would be 3%. 1% is a dream come true, especially if you can get it without oiling up the cylinder.

Holeshot your exactly correct.

my 2002 yz250 had under 1% leakdown after i got done with it. reliability was untouchable, and power increase was unbeleivable. i agree that it probobly wontmake as dramatic an increase on the 4 stroke tho, but its worth it if im tearing downt he motor anyways. the rings will cotst around 200-300$ to have made. but they last a season, thats awesome


What do the % leakdown figures mean?

I'm guessing it means that a pressure gauge drops a percentage of the original value over a period of time - as in "the pressure dropped from 200 psi to 198 psi over a period of 1 minute, so the leakage rate was 1%".

Am I on the right track, or am I lost in the boonies? :)

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: holeshot ]

holeshot you've almost got it. The leakdown testers that I have seen require a compressed air source. You feed air into the cylinder at a known pressure and measure the volume of air required to maintain that pressure (or was it you feed a known volume at a known pressure and the pressure difference tells you how much is leaking?). Anyway, this is the rough idea, it requires a compressed air source. This is how the testers that I have seen work, maybe we're talking about different tools?

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: sirthumpalot ]

I wanna know how you get em on the piston?

me too!

The ring is a sprial. It has ends but it over laps. At least thats the way the rings in my bug motor were. I havent seen a total seal ring in years, but they didnt have a end-gap as such.

They are not solid, so you put them on the same way, the cut in the ring is not straight thru, but stepped so they leave no gap.

shawn and j. hall are exactly correct. newer totalseals even use double overlaps for rings, think of it this way. where the ring is split, it has a female and male end, kinda like that.

The ring set on my bug used a moly top and the two piece 2nd and a low tension oil ring. That car hauled butt. The Totalseal rings work well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now