Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys! 

I will be getting a dual sport/enduro soon after i take my licence and would like know and see what kind of bikes that you guys think are the best!

Im 5'10, 138 lbs! Not much weight, but im super strong. I have never ridden a motorcycle or anything with gears but that maybe doesnt matter much since i will learn how to when i take my license!?

My plan is to ride 50% road and 50% offroad! 

Much love and my first post!:) //Patric 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should start by practicing off road for a few months, before you start riding a motorcycle on the street.  There are many life-saving bike-handling and judgement skills that are best learned in an off-road environment. 

That being said, look into a bike such as the Suzuki DR200, Kawasaki KLX250, Yamaha WR250, etc etc.

Frankly, you will want to start practicing motorcycle riding skills Long before you get your license.  Buy a dirtbike first.  Buy any dirtbike between 100cc and 350cc.  Ride it off road as much as you can.  Ride in the most challenging terrain that you can.  Wear proper protective gear.  Doing this will make you a more skilled and smarter rider, who will be able to avoid deadly situations on the street when you do get your license. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dirtjumpordie said:

You should start by practicing off road for a few months, before you start riding a motorcycle on the street.  There are many life-saving bike-handling and judgement skills that are best learned in an off-road environment. 

That being said, look into a bike such as the Suzuki DR200, Kawasaki KLX250, Yamaha WR250, etc etc.

Frankly, you will want to start practicing motorcycle riding skills Long before you get your license.  Buy a dirtbike first.  Buy any dirtbike between 100cc and 350cc.  Ride it off road as much as you can.  Ride in the most challenging terrain that you can.  Wear proper protective gear.  Doing this will make you a more skilled and smarter rider, who will be able to avoid deadly situations on the street when you do get your license. 

Yo thx for replying! Wr250 alright! Only type of bike here in Sweden that one. Can a wr250 handle road speeds? Max speed here is 68 mph! Will a wr250 be fun or boring? Im a fast learner and strong, thx again:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, PatricTheRider said:

Yo thx for replying! Wr250 alright! Only type of bike here in Sweden that one. Can a wr250 handle road speeds? Max speed here is 68 mph! Will a wr250 be fun or boring? Im a fast learner and strong, thx again:)

The WR250R is quite capable of road speeds.  The engine is smooth and durable.  It also has a reasonably good frame, good brakes, and good suspension.  They are a great bike, and they are pretty good off-road, compared to most other dualsport bikes.  I much prefer them over the street legal versions of the DRZ400.

Get the WR250R that has the dirt wheels and tires on it.  They make a supermoto version that has small 17" wheels and street tires on it.  That is a terrible choice for off road.  You should get the one that has a 21" front wheel, a 18" rear wheel, and knobby dirt tires.  That will allow you to learn riding skills in the dirt.  I cannot emphasize how important it is to learn motorcycle handling skills, instincts, and judgement by riding in challenging off road terrain. 

Riding in challenging off road terrain is the absolute quickest way to become a much more skilled, wiser, and safer motorcycle rider.  It is also very very fun!  In one year of riding in challenging off road terrain, you will gain skills that would have taken 5 years of riding on the street. 

Edited by dirtjumpordie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dirtjumpordie said:

The WR250R is quite capable of road speeds.  The engine is smooth and durable.  It also has a reasonably good frame, good brakes, and good suspension.  They are a great bike, and they are pretty good off-road, compared to most other dualsport bikes.  I much prefer them over the street legal versions of the DRZ400.

Get the WR250R that has the dirt wheels and tires on it.  They make a supermoto version that has small 17" wheels and street tires on it.  That is a terrible choice for off road.  You should get the one that has a 21" front wheel, a 18" rear wheel, and knobby dirt tires.  That will allow you to learn riding skills in the dirt.  I cannot emphasize how important it is to learn motorcycle handling skills, instincts, and judgement by riding in challenging off road terrain. 

Riding in challenging off road terrain is the absolute quickest way to become a much more skilled, wiser, and safer motorcycle rider.  It is also very very fun!  In one year of riding in challenging off road terrain, you will gain skills that would have taken 5 years of riding on the street. 

Okey thats freaking nice to hear. I will look into the bike on youtube right nowand make sure i get the enduro model. Didnt know you learn so much from riding offroad dam :)

Edited by PatricTheRider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PatricTheRider said:

How do you guys think the 350 Exc / Fe 350 would be? :) Found those on youtube with nice things about them

I had an FE350s. Nice bike. Easy to ride, good power w/o being a handful if your throttle control isn't solid. As you grow/learn and want more powwwwwahhhhh you can add a fuel controller, desmog and uncork the exhaust a bit. I sold mine to a younger guy that planned to use it to commute to college (in town) and rip around on weekends on the backroads and trails. I ride almost exclusively offroad so I traded up to a 19 350 XC-F. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I had an FE350s. Nice bike. Easy to ride, good power w/o being a handful if your throttle control isn't solid. As you grow/learn and want more powwwwwahhhhh you can add a fuel controller, desmog and uncork the exhaust a bit. I sold mine to a younger guy that planned to use it to commute to college (in town) and rip around on weekends on the backroads and trails. I ride almost exclusively offroad so I traded up to a 19 350 XC-F. 

Damn nice to hear!! Can the bike handle 68 mph speeds for 1 hour ride without any problems or will it be difficult? Thank you so much for reply :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...