cdf450

Over torquing triple clamps affect forks?

Anyone ever experienced this? I know I sure tighten my triple clamps A LOT higher than 8 ft lbs (12 nm) and have never noticed.

Interesting stuff for sure.

Certainly notice it. 12lbs at most. Just t-handle tight on one bolt will hold the fork tight enough you can put a wrench on it and put some ass behind it. As for effect, the fork will not travel smoothly through the stroke and will cause some handling issues for sure.

Funny thing is that they are not overtightening it here, 12nm is stock on ktm/husky?!

• Like 4

Someone else said “That fork tube has nothing in it. If you have a complete fork tube it should be building some internal pressure as it strokes and should balloon the fork tube and I’d bet remove that stiction issue.

That demo sure would make ya want some Xtrigs though...”.

Makes sense

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

Should be common knowledge... I torque mine without question.. 

:thumbsup:  Another reason owners/shop manuals exist for those intelligent enough to read them.

I think the video is expressing a different manner of clamping the tube being the main factor of increased stiction (yes, it is a word) and not the amount of torque.

the bilateral clamping helps keep the tube round whereas the unilateral clamping of the conventional clamp is causing the tube deformation

this is the variable discussed, not so much the amount of torque.

but yes, appropriate torque values are important.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, EnglertRacing said:

Will straight up wear out the inside of the tube at the lower clamp ...

NOW you tell me this, after running the lower clamp pretty tight for the last 6 seasons.  🙄

5 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Someone else said “That fork tube has nothing in it. If you have a complete fork tube it should be building some internal pressure as it strokes and should balloon the fork tube and I’d bet remove that stiction issue.

The clamping force on the outside of the tube is many times greater than the maximum amount of pressure the forks could generate internally.  No chance of "ballooning". 

• Like 1

I want to call bullshit on this one.  One of the steps I take to ensure proper front end alignment after replacing triple clamps, for example, is to verify proper alignment by removing the bars and fork caps and fully collapsing the front suspension.  I have never had any sort of issue like what the demonstration shows and I am certain I am applying more torque than that to the pinch bolts.

In theory it is possible but in practice, that is the thickest and strongest part of the fork tube and you only have two 10mm bolts to clamp down with.  It should be difficult to overtighten to the point of binding unless you really have no idea what you're doing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

In theory it is possible but in practice, that is the thickest and strongest part of the fork tube and you only have two 10mm bolts to clamp down with.  It should be difficult to overtighten to the point of binding unless you really have no idea what you're doing.

I'm not so sure, with only one 8mm bolt clamping the top of the fork in some cases it's near impossible to loosen a fork cap, even on a rwu fork where you're squashing the steel part. The newer stuff is so thin and light I'd think it's very possible.

It'd be an easy test to replicate though next time you have some forks apart.

• Like 1

If Paul Thede felt is was worth adding in his Race Tech Suspension Bible under the 'sticky forks' troubleshooting causes,

I'd say it's certainly a possibility to take into consideration.

I've done the testing already.  Lower triple clamp bolts tight, upper bolts loose, bars off, fork caps off.  The wheel moves through the stroke with no difficulty all the way up.  That's where I tighten the axle pinch bolts on the right side fork lug.

I have noticed that the fork caps are very determined to stay tight until you loosen the upper pinch bolts.  The tube here is much thinner than it is at the lower clamp.

• Like 3

dont think that it makes the entire diameter smaller, it deforms the tube, more ovalises it.
Exactly. Certainly causes a harsh feel. I retorque and realign my front end every ride. Serious benefits to doing so.

17 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Live from the garage moments ago.

Yours are vertical, theirs are horizontal, don't know if that is a significant matter at all.

They look mint inside. No wear to the coating. These are the old fashioned made in Japan kyb's. They hold up.