JSerg99

Is it possible to manipulate Yamaha Tuner results? (Hours on YZ250F)

I'm looking at a 2018 YZ250F for $4,950.  Seller claims the bike only has 7 hours.  I asked for close up pics of the motor, and I'm a little skeptical because the clutch cover has a few more scratches than I would expect to see after 7 hours of use.  The seller did say that he's fine if I want to take it to a shop to have them look at it and plug in a Yamaha tuner, and also that a friend of his has a tuner he could borrow as an alternative.

He seemed pretty knowledgeable based on our phone conversation.  He lives 2 hours away, which is why we've only talked on the phone and I've only seen pictures.  Not ideal because its obviously easier to judge the character of the seller and quality of the bike in person, but I also don't want to make a 4 hour round trip without being confident that I am most likely coming home with a new bike.

Anyways, that's the background info on my question.  Is it possible to do anything to a YZ250F that would make a tuner show 7 hours when it really has more hours on it?

Bike_1.jpg

Bike_2.jpg

Bike_3.jpg

Bike_4.jpg

Motor_1.jpeg

Motor_2.jpeg

Edited by JSerg99
Adding Pictures

They could have had a different ECU like a vortex or something that replaces the stock ecu on the bike for most of the time and just put the stock ecu back on to sell the bike. The ecu is what tracks the hours, but only keeps track while it’s installed.

You can use the tuner to reset the hours to zero, so entirely likley this has been done

At 7hrs of use it should look almost new

• Like 3

7 hours = nine track days (15 minute motos and practice), three - two hour hare scrambles, or two enduros

I'd expect some scratches.

• Like 3

Looks pretty good to me. One other thing I look at is the kick start lever. Doesn't look like it's hardly scratched where it makes contact with the foot peg. Looks clean to me....

As CBLCrash mentioned, the tuner does allow you too reset the hours to “0.”  And to my knowledge, there is no way to find out if the hours have been reset.

Greg

Edited by gregsportster
  • Like 1

I'd buy that bike in a minute. Regardless if it really has 7 hours on it or not, I wouldn't hesitate buying it at all.

• Like 2

Does it really matter if the bike has 7 hours or 27 hrs?  For sure it does not have a huge number of hours on it.  No matter what, that is a low hour bike.  

I bought my YZFX and the owner told me it had 35 hrs on it.  When I plugged in the GYTR tuner it actually had 40 hrs on it.  Does that make any difference at all?  I have now doubled the hours on the bike and it is completely solid.  These bikes will run for hundreds of hours with minimal need for major work.

Looks good, go for it. What is black plastic with safety wire above tip of kick lever in picture? That doesn’t look right?

B

11 minutes ago, Brantley said:

Looks good, go for it. What is black plastic with safety wire above tip of kick lever in picture? That doesn’t look right?

B

I'll have to ask.  I actually did not notice that until you pointed it out (so thank you!).  

Is the wear on the clutch cover what you would expect after 7 hours of riding?

I don't think it is safety wire. I think it is just the clip for large vent hose on the cam cover.

I'll have to ask.  I actually did not notice that until you pointed it out (so thank you!).  
  • Helpful 2

Depends what kind of riding but I think that wear could be possible if it was track ridden.

Bike looks very clean from the photos, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price is right.  Rear sprocket is stock and those wear fast so I would expect it to have been replaced if it had a lot of hours.

1 hour ago, JSerg99 said:

Yes, the clutch cover wears fast on Yamahas.

5 hours ago, JSerg99 said:

Depending on what conditions you’re riding in a clutch cover can get worn down in just a few hours. My YZ450F has 70 hours and my son’s YZ250F has 40 hours. Both bikes have way more wear on the clutch cover than that one.
If you don’t want to deal with someone else’s problem then buy a new bike. It’s that easy.

That bike looks clean.  Look at the clutch position sensor.  The gummy section in the middle is impossible to clean even when its off and you have cleaned it with a toothbrush.  The one in this picture is clean.

On the flip side I drove 4 hours each way to see a bike last week that turned out to have a bad engine even after the owner said it runs great and the engine was certified rebuilt by factory KTM.  You never know what you're gonna get til you make the drive!

Edited by Honeybagder