Ultra61

You still got your earlier Bike?

Next year will be 30 years since 1990 (sheez).. I quit chasing Enduro points in 1993. I've been looking for a bike in that era here recent, to try and bring back to OEM and super clean for a winter project. I found one this past week (even though I rode KTM's that wouldn't hold up, I ended my years on WR Yamaha's..). I discovered a 1990 RMX Suzuki 250 with a title original owner, w OEM service manual. It comes with the RMX OEM exhaust and rear fender, Suzuki back then often had a deal, a complete RM exhaust and rear fender w the purchase of the RMX. The guy has all this including the removed kick stand.

I say this cause I'm curious who had the forethought or funds, to hold onto there early bikes?

1990 RMX Suzuki 250 sold for $3343.00 new. I bought this for $1500.00

IMG_20191109_074002968_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191109_074020042_HDR.jpg

Edited by Ultra61
  • Like 5

You may have over paid a little, but F-it, those bikes were desirable back in those days for a reason, and though it looks used, it looks like you've got a good one there. It'd be nice for me to be able to keep some of my old bikes, but I simply don't have the room to do it... good luck with that bad boy!

1 hour ago, Ultra61 said:

Next year will be 30 years since 1990 (sheez).. I quit chasing Enduro points in 1993. I've been looking for a bike in that era here recent, to try and bring back to OEM and super clean for a winter project. I found one this past week (even though I rode KTM's that wouldn't hold up, I ended my years on WR Yamaha's..). I discovered a 1990 RMX Suzuki 250 with a title original owner, w OEM service manual. It comes with the RMX OEM exhaust and rear fender, Suzuki back then often had a deal, a complete RM exhaust and rear fender w the purchase of the RMX. The guy has all this including the removed kick stand.

I say this cause I'm curious who had the forethought or funds, to hold onto there early bikes?

1990 RMX Suzuki 250 sold for $3343.00 new. I bought this for $1500.00

IMG_20191109_074002968_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191109_074020042_HDR.jpg

Looks good! I did notice, it has a RM-2fiddy rear fender, are you going to return it to factory specs, or just ride and enjoy it? It's purty, if they replaced are perishable parts and it runs and rides like it looks, that $1500 clams you spent is a bargan, round these parts, people is very greedy, we would end up paying $2500 for the same vehicle that's clapped out. Yeup, you are right, 30 years ago, "seems" like yesterday, happier days indeed. Yeuppers!

I just sold my 1992 RMX last year , had the bike for 4 years , payed $350. for it was in parts done a full motor rebuild , had problems with the 2 piece exhaust PV's changed them out to the Rm PV. Sold bike for $1200. now have a 2003 Kawasaki KLX400R paid $1800. for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPT ED said:

I just sold my 1992 RMX last year , had the bike for 4 years , payed $350. for it was in parts done a full motor rebuild , had problems with the 2 piece exhaust PV's changed them out to the Rm PV. Sold bike for $1200. now have a 2003 Kawasaki KLX400R paid $1800. for it.

So Mr. Ed, Canadian monies, you got the bike converted to Merican dough, at around $225 beans, sold it for around $9fiddy, and spent $ 1100 for a klx, If my maths is correct, you got some purty good deals. Yeup.

• Like 1

I had 'saved' most of the bikes I ever bought or were given, having only sold or disposed of bikes that were beyond restoration (destroyed frames and blown engines. Eventually, the collection gets to where unless you have a 'guy' whose sole job it is to clean and service them, all they do is collect dust in a warehouse.

In the last two/three years, I went from 31 bikes to three. One of the three needs a engine rebuild. Where is that guy?

• Like 4

I think you gotta good score. Only RMX's on CL near me are a super clean one for 3300 (ouch) and a basket case for 500. Both of which are later models with the stupid traditional forks. Idk why suzuki went away from the upside-down forks on the early one's, I like the look of them way more. I would love to get an early 90s RMX to match my 2017 RMX. 

I can tell you I will never get rid of any of my bikes EVER. I literally want to collect and hoard bikes till my garage is full. I did have to sell my RM250 to a friend to fund my new RMX, but I'm planning on buying it back soon. Won't make that same mistake again. Dirt bikes, well motorcycles in general, are great collectors items imo, but I also think firearms are great collectors items. My bikes tell a story about parts of my life better than any pictures can, and it's definitely something I want to pass down to my kids. People always regret selling bikes, but they never regret keeping them. 

Edited by stupidmoto
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Looks good! I did notice, it has a RM-2fiddy rear fender, are you going to return it to factory specs, or just ride and enjoy it? It's purty, if they replaced are perishable parts and it runs and rides like it looks, that $1500 clams you spent is a bargan, round these parts, people is very greedy, we would end up paying $2500 for the same vehicle that's clapped out. Yeup, you are right, 30 years ago, "seems" like yesterday, happier days indeed. Yeuppers!

I now have the OEM rear fender never used .. the plans is to make it look like the OEM all but new RMX..

just took it for a spin, haha, cracks me up, everything works brakes and all, what a Gem.. It's in no hurry compared to my 500 EXC, but w that I can see it would still leave a mark if your not careful, front end is anxious to see the sky's, been a long time since I rode a two stroke.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, William1 said:

I had 'saved' most of the bikes I ever bought or were given, having only sold or disposed of bikes that were beyond restoration (destroyed frames and blown engines. Eventually, the collection gets to where unless you have a 'guy' whose sole job it is to clean and service them, all they do is collect dust in a warehouse.

In the last two/three years, I went from 31 bikes to three. One of the three needs a engine rebuild. Where is that guy?

Yeup, William hot rods his scoots. Lol! How many scoots do you have? I'm being nosey.😁

1 minute ago, Ultra61 said:

I now have the OEM rear fender never used .. the plans is to make it look like the OEM all but new RMX..

just took it for a spin, haha, cracks me up, everything works brakes and all, what a Gem.. It's in no hurry compared to my 500 EXC, but w that I can see it would still leave a mark if your not careful, front end is anxious to see the sky's, been a long time since I rode a two stroke.

Nice, send some photo's as a "resto" keep us TT'er's updated...

27 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Yeup, William hot rods his scoots. Lol! How many scoots do you have? I'm being nosey.😁

I did 'hot rod' them in my teens, 20's, skipped the 30's sort of, did again in my 40's and 50's. I am done now. I'll probably fix the engine on the one bike, a 1974 DT100 just because. The other bikes, a 2008 WR250f is pretty stock other than decorking and being plated. and a 2005 DRZ 470SM what I spent way too much money modifying.

If I ever buy another bike, it would be to replace the WR or DRZ or, a mid 1970's BMW R90s or a mid 1970's Honda SL125. But I'd have to have money I wanted to get rid of first. I am not sure my retirement fund will be enough to do that and go on old people vacations. I have a wife and she is not a biker. Though the house is in good shape.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, William1 said:

I did 'hot rod' them in my teens, 20's, skipped the 30's sort of, did again in my 40's and 50's. I am done now. I'll probably fix the engine on the one bike, a 1974 DT100 just because. The other bikes, a 2008 WR250f is pretty stock other than decorking and being plated. and a 2005 DRZ 470SM what I spent way too much money modifying.

If I ever buy another bike, it would be to replace the WR or DRZ or, a mid 1970's BMW R90s or a mid 1970's Honda SL125. But I'd have to have money I wanted to get rid of first. I am not sure my retirement fund will be enough to do that and go on old people vacations. I have a wife and she is not a biker. Though the house is in good shape.

Nice, got to have a classy DT. SL's are classy also. Cool bikes. Great collection William!, I had the luck to ride a Sl back in the day, in fact it was the first bike I learned on. On that day I learned never slam on the front break to stop. My first dirt bike body slam. LOL!😎image.png.34f88e218a38b03c8cdc1d4dca000afd.png

• Like 3

Just now, M E T A L A C I D said:

Do you still ride it? Pit bike?

No, my nefew was riding it for a bit but doesn't really like biking... 

A couple years ago I met a guy who had a similar KX60 that had complete long travel kit. Man did it look cool and he was selling the bike for $1200. I wanted to buy it but it's was useless to me in every way except cool factor.. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hans Schmid said:

A couple years ago I met a guy who had a similar KX60 that had complete long travel kit. Man did it look cool and he was selling the bike for $1200. I wanted to buy it but it's was useless to me in every way except cool factor.. 

Yeup, a long travel kit one, could be ridden by us big bro's. Cool!😎

The DT I have is not all original, I do have the speedo and tail light but the autolube is gone (got the tank), stock exhaust is gone. It was one of my buddies bikes (he got it new in 1974), he rode the life out of it and than parked it for 20 years, then he gave it to me. New seat cover and some other stuff and it became a sort of pit bike. Lack of use killed the crank.

Here are the three bikes left.

DSC_1937.JPG.393b734d01eafa3dc378b305164eff77.JPG

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

So he rode it, tried to push up down  Down up square x r1 r2 and the no footer backflip didn’t happen like on Mx vs atv video game?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, RawbW said:

So he rode it, tried to push up down  Down up square x r1 r2 and the no footer backflip didn’t happen like on Mx vs atv video game?

Pretty much... That's funny cause I was asking him what her wanted to do when he grows up and he said professional video game player...and part time science teacher... 

• Like 1