high idle on 2018 350 exc-f after vortex install

I've read through some threads where 500 EXCs were idling high after installing Vortex ECU.  Earlier this week I desmogged/uncorked my 350 EXC and installed Vortex with default settings (map 1 and low, med, high set to 5), following start-up instructions that came with the ECU (start bike, don't touch throttle, allow engine to get to operating temp, then rev it a few times and return to idle).

Idle seemed normal.  After a couple rides it now sounds like the idle is high.  Every once in a while it seems to return to normal, but not always, and I'm missing the engine braking coming into corners.  Anyone have experience with this?  I guess I'll turn in the idle screw until it sounds normal, but without a tach it will be a guess.  

I guess my question is whether the Vortex is "set" at initialization, or will it continue to adjust amount of fuel at idle even after I turn the screw?

Sound like you are using the pre 2017 set up procedure, that might work, but not text book instructions for a 2018.

Need to do the pin point throttle set up procedure first, and see if that cures it

TO SET Idle – Throttle Closed        (End Point

1/ Press the Kill Switch in         (engine killed)

2/ Turn On the Ignition Key      (PUSH LATCHING POWER SWITCH IN – POWER ON)

3/ Press the Starter button for 2 seconds

4/ Turn Key off for 10 seconds         (PUSH LATCHING POWER SWITCH OUT – POWER OFF)

TO SET Full Throttle – (Throttle Open) End point

1/ Press the Kill Switch in (engine killed)

2/ Turn On the Ignition Key                   (PUSH LATCHING POWER SWITCH IN)

3/ Open Throttle fully

4/ Press the Starter button for 2 second

5/ Release Throttle and turn off the Key                 (PUSH LATCHING POWER SWITCH OUT – POWER OFF)

this all done without motor ever running

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Sound like you are using the pre 2017 set up procedure, that might work, but not text book instructions for a 2018.

Need to do the pin point throttle set up procedure first, and see if that cures it

thanks for the info--this site is amazing.  After going through the steps above, I turned it on and the motor actually idled at what sounded like normal rpm at first, then slowly crept up over the five minutes or so I let it run.  I cut it off and repeated the set up process, and it still seemed a little high, but I ran out of time.  I have not even touched the red idle screw, however.

another note for anyone installing a tuner map like JD or Vortex:  make sure you check your bolts after the first ride.  one of my ignition assembly bolts had worked loose and was leaking oil enough that it took a while to figure out where it was coming from, and my buddy's rear axle bolt had loosened so much he could remove it by hand.  

The bikes are meant to idle on the faster side of things, but if you do feel the red ldle knob needs adjustment, its does effect the tps setting.   Id probably do the pin point again, if I had doubts, afterwards.

• Like 1

I bought a used Vortex for my 2017 350 EXC-F that came with no instructions. I also have a key elimination on the bike. So, I was told to push kill button crank throttle closed 2 sec then throttle wide open and crank for two seconds. Seems to have worked fine. Does anyone have a copy of instructions that can be posted for others to see.