Is XTrainer with Beta 2" lowering to much?

Dealer has a new XTrainer with a Beta installed 2" lowering kit but is that too much for going over logs and obstacles? At Beta demo days the crew was recommending getting the 200rr and having it lowered 2" over getting the XTrainer. I loved the 200 but didn't get a chance to ride the XTrainer. Any thoughts? 

How tall are you? 2 inches on an xtrainer will make it about perfect for somebody about 5'5" or so. It's not hard to set back to stock if you don't like it.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

33 minutes ago, nobade said:

How tall are you? 2 inches on an xtrainer will make it about perfect for somebody about 5'5" or so. It's not hard to set back to stock if you don't like it.

5'7"

What's your inseam?  I'm a little less than 30" and stock is fine.  I would not go that lower, since it's low already.

I also have a low seat, not the stock one, get the low seat not the lower suspension.

• Helpful 1

I think 2” would tend to hit quite a few more logs and things over 1”.

I lowered my XTrainer 1”, and certainly hit more than the other guys on ‘regular’ enduro bikes.  Perhaps similar to what I would hit on trials bikes, so that is ok with me.

But I chose not to go any lower due to clearance.

I’m 5’ 10” with a long inseam, but I like to ride ‘gnarly’ stuff with often having to put feet down (can’t see the ground due to brush and ferns etc)-  I quite like it and seems to have plenty of suspension travel for moderate speeds.  I’m not sure I would want to go for much less travel, although it all depends on your use of course.

I think many of these bikes have way more travel than needed for moderate trail riding, if you almost never use it all- then it is too much.  (No, I’m NOT trying to start a big argument-  just what I think, I’m more than happy if the ‘TT guys’ disagree).

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

I would not go 2”. My wife’s is 1” lower and it’s about the same height as a 2” lower Ktm. She is about 5’7” and has maybe 1/4 inch under her heels with stock seat.

She did not like the low wide seat when she tried it. It was too wide and didn’t really help with reaching the ground.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On the seat, I have the Seat Concepts low/‘comfort’ seat and I think it is nicer than stock- plus being a little bit lower.

I got it used, so I figured if I didn’t like it I could just sell.  But works great for me.  (But with a 34” inseam I only like the low seat due to what I ride and my riding style).

• Helpful 1

I'm 5' 5'' with a 29'' inseam and my XT is not lowered at all...  There is no way I would lower it any further than it is from the factory...   That is "IF" you plan on riding it as it was intended.....  I still hit stuff the KTMs seen to miss so I put on a good skid plate and just roll with it.....

I also have a full height 500 RS...  No I can't put both feet down at all but can get the ball of either foot on the ground when I stop but honestly when I get rolling I do by best to keep my feet on the pegs.  But I don't really ride the 4 stroke in the tough stuff, that's what the XT is for!

Edited by shortman
Typo
  • Helpful 1

Wife's xt is lowered 1.5", and she's clipping pegs in the deep singletrack. we are bringing it back up to stock this winter and going with a low seat instead. She's 5'4". Unless you are REALLY short I don't recommend lowering. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Everyone is mentioning how tall they are, but height doesn’t matter. Inseam matters.

I am 5’8’’, but can’t touch flat foot with it lowered an inch and I also have the low seat from seat concepts. Because I have a 27-28 inch inseam.

If you lower it 2 inches you will be 3 inches lower at the skid plate than a 2010 KTM 200 (I measured). With no weight on either.

• Helpful 1

Very informative topic as I’m currently looking to get off of my 07 450xcw and get a 2020 300rr.  Little background info.  51yrs old.  Been riding trails for about 12 yrs.  always had 450 Ktm bikes.  I’m tired of the weight and struggling in the tight stuff.  My buddies have moved to 300 2 strokes from the 450 bikes and love it.  

Im a total noob to the 2 stroke bikes and have been on my buddies 2013 300 xcw once.  Liked the size and maneuvering of the bike.   The throttle was very snappy and hard to regulate.  

Havnt been on the new beta yet, but the reading and specs really seem to be what I’m looking for.  Love the lower seat height as I’m 5 10  170# and would love to be able to flat foot dab when needed.   I only ride trails. Woods and high desert.  I’m fast on the open stuff, but slower then the rest of the gang in the tight.  I love the way the 450 can lug up steep rocky hills.   Lots of rocky terrain here in CO. 

Would the 300rr be a good choice for me.   Hard to demo one right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wakewop said:

Very informative topic as I’m currently looking to get off of my 07 450xcw and get a 2020 300rr.  Little background info.  51yrs old.  Been riding trails for about 12 yrs.  always had 450 Ktm bikes.  I’m tired of the weight and struggling in the tight stuff.  My buddies have moved to 300 2 strokes from the 450 bikes and love it.  

Im a total noob to the 2 stroke bikes and have been on my buddies 2013 300 xcw once.  Liked the size and maneuvering of the bike.   The throttle was very snappy and hard to regulate.  

Havnt been on the new beta yet, but the reading and specs really seem to be what I’m looking for.  Love the lower seat height as I’m 5 10  170# and would love to be able to flat foot dab when needed.   I only ride trails. Woods and high desert.  I’m fast on the open stuff, but slower then the rest of the gang in the tight.  I love the way the 450 can lug up steep rocky hills.   Lots of rocky terrain here in CO. 

100% in my opinion. 

I came off a WR450 for the same reasons, and have zero regrets. same terrain, same desires. The bike will handle MUCH better than the 450, with less total weight, less rotating weight up high in a 4T, and gobs of torque down low. power valve adjustments will help tune the power where you like it, and there's also G2 throttle cams if you want different input results. Seat height is also roughly 2" lower than the Orange offerings. 

Demo days last year were in December, keep looking at the demo tours for Colorado locations being added. I am sure they will be here again at some point. 

https://betausa.com/demo-tour/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wakewop said:

...Havnt been on the new beta yet, but the reading and specs really seem to be what I’m looking for.  Love the lower seat height as I’m 5 10  170# and would love to be able to flat foot dab when needed.   I only ride trails. Woods and high desert.  I’m fast on the open stuff, but slower then the rest of the gang in the tight.  I love the way the 450 can lug up steep rocky hills.   Lots of rocky terrain here in CO. 

For what it's worth - I'm 5' 9" and similar weight with gear. Riding the 200RR now after coming off a pretty tall seat height (YZ250FX). The seat height of the 200RR feels like I'm cheating! I know the 300 is probably pretty similar too and if you get a 2019 or earlier I think (don't quote me) you can probably drop an inch with a lowered seat. With my 2020 if I got a shaved seat I'd pretty much be riding a trials saddle with no foam left - or so it seems. The KTMs I've seen have always had more of a higher seat height like my 250FX had. Not the end of the world but I certainly learned how to bail with that bike haha

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Wow, Thanks for all the great replies. The dealer says if I don't like the two inch drop he will put it back to stock. My main practice routine is crossing logs as that is what I have set for the trials bike, so I'm thinking no on the 2" lowering kit. Thanks everybody for taking time to reply.

Ground clearance on my XTrainer (lowered 1”) vers my Beta 300 4T trails is only about 3/4” less.    It doesn’t make that much difference- I think pretty rare that the logs would just happen to be that much bigger, usually smaller or larger.  So not a big deal.  But it IS less.

When I have to stop behind someone on a steep, gnarly hill with loads of slippery sticks-  then get started, the lower seat definitely helps.  I can sit way back almost to the rear fender to weight the rear-  slip the clutch slowly and barely feed any throttle.  That gets me the needed traction.  If the seat is too high, even with a 34” inseam I can’t dab until I get rolling (hopefully up on the pegs then).

But 2” lower would probably be pretty noticeable.  (I think)

• Helpful 1

We have a 2018 XTrainer that I bought mostly for my girlfriend but also for the experience of a boulder hopping, tree jumping balancing tool for myself.
She is 5’6” with a 29-30” inseam she finds the Standard height XTrainer with the Standard seat is perfect for her, I installed a SeatConcepts low/wide seat on the XTrainer for her and she didn’t like it, so back to the Standard oem seat for her.

We ride mostly on narrow rocky singletrack trails and she loves the XTrainer in its as delivered condition. Our riding conditions are very much a challenge because of the steep narrow rocky stuff where many people like to dab their toes for balance, which she rides there with the XTrainer without issue.

IMHO people get too worried bout the “seat height” thing, every new dirt bike takes some getting used to, a level of orientation to its balance the power delivery etc. etc.

ENJOY one of the best trail bikes made today!!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

13 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Wow, Thanks for all the great replies. The dealer says if I don't like the two inch drop he will put it back to stock. My main practice routine is crossing logs as that is what I have set for the trials bike, so I'm thinking no on the 2" lowering kit. Thanks everybody for taking time to reply.

Hey you can’t go wrong... dealer says he’ll put back to stock!!! Go for it!!

You can also make use of different seats for different  heights. That’s great and easy enough.. I have 3 different height seats that I have been switching around to see how they work. Right now I have the low seat concepts wide which makes my 300 rr at about the stock Xtrainer height. For technical right now I’m liking it the best. The tall seat is great for open fast riding where putting your feet down isn’t needed much. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I had (have in box) the "2 inch lowering" kit from Beta. It's not 2 inches. It is 1-5/8 inches lower, exactly. Even the rear shock spacer is designed to lower it 1-5/8 inches.

That said, I had the Seat Concepts low comfort wide seat as well. I decided it was still not enough for safe dabbing when needed. I got a Seat Concepts low OE width seat. It is narrower, and made a small but noticeable difference.

I also had my fork and shock revalved, tuned, and both lowered 2 inches from AMP. So much better, the forks work well now. They aren't hard enduro worthy, but neither am I.

After buying an under bar mounted steering damper, and also bar risers, I realized I had a lot of clearance under the bars, and I could now raise the fork tubes 30mm (that's MAX amount, they can't be raised further in the clamps). So I put the fork BACK to OE length with a new spring and removed the travel limiting spacer., raised the forks 30mm.

Geometry changed, maybe (?...?...) I can't even tell. It rides the same, however I have the full fork travel (10.6 inches) for hitting things now, making it better for my riding area and style (slower, but I challenge myself with hard lines).

Yes, I do hang or scrape across ROCKS and LOGS, but guess what, I have an EE aluminum skid plate, and it works. No issues there, ride a bit faster over that stuff and getting over those obstacles is not an issue unless it requires getting AIRBORNE.  No thank you. 52 yrs old and want to get older without injury. I am conservative. I use the power of the 300 to solve certain problems, bike clearance be damned.

Learning to ride hard terrain is hard enough when you can't touch with even one foot planted. Lower the bike until the comfort level reaches a point where the bike can be raised in increments. Or do what I do as well, STRETCH a lot so flexibility doesn't hamper getting on/off the bike. I had trouble (pain) getting a leg over my former TW200 (31 inch seat height). The only true cure was stretching. A habit now. Several hours a week. It has helped enormously.

• Helpful 1

The 2020 seats dont have any foam to cut. 2019 and earlier you can get 1" lower seats.

Log crossing shouldnt be an issue on a lower bike as there are techniques used to clear the skid plate that are very simple on the log sizes we talking about (12-14" diameter). Instead of simply rolling them and relying on skid plate clearance, a more versatile technique is to hit the log with the front as you normally would but keep just a crack of throttle open to maintain the front wheel at log height until the rear also hits it. Takes almost no throttle as the initial hit will already have your front wheel lifted it's just a matter of very gently keeping it there with a tiny bit of throttle until you're over it. I would be more concerned about foot pegs getting caught on things like the sides of deeper ruts.

• Helpful 2