RMZ-250 07 left case broken

I’ve had my 2007 rmz 250 literally forever and although she might not be the best bike she gets the job for the weekend, recently my cam chain broke inside of my engine, after taking the engine apart I noticed everything was fine except for the guides and the cam chain guide holder on the left. My buddy says to just jb weld it and call it a day but I don’t wanna do that. If I buy a Used but good condition left case for the engine what are the chances it will work without having to buy a full case?

1ADBA5EB-D5C0-457B-8BA6-F2A8488EC781.jpeg

1B80F7BE-FD07-4206-A817-336DB1988F26.jpeg

7203289F-B7E9-42AE-89CE-901DE6CC9048.jpeg

1 minute ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

JB wont hold it for long - would you trust glue ?

Get it welded

Might be a better bet to do that huh? Just gotta find a place that will do it. Cheers! 

Some cases are manufactured together, each side has a matching number. Not sure if these bikes do. If so, the new case side may not fit the same but I cant imagine it would cause any problems. If the chain guide will still stay in place without the piece I would put everything back together and forget about it. I have had similar opportunities to jb weld a little piece back in my motors. To me its not worth it because that piece may not hold with all the vibration then it will get chewed up in the motor.

• Helpful 1

Looks like a piece to strengthen the case .  I would leave it out .  If you jb it back , and it  breaks  off then you can do some real damage ... JMO .    Maybe a nearby mechanic could give an opinion after seeing it close up and personal .......

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

Looks like a piece to strengthen the case .  I would leave it out .  If you jb it back , and it  breaks  off then you can do some real damage ... JMO .    Maybe a nearby mechanic could give an opinion after seeing it close up and personal .......

Your cases are a matched set, left and right so do not mix by replacing it. Get it welded no matter how ugly of a Tig weld done by a local welding shop as it's inside the engine. Just make sure it's a secure and a strong weld plus check for any clearance issues with the crank before final assembly. My opinion it's there to catch oil and directing the oil into the main bearing. I wouldn't run it with that piece removed. Why did the manufacture go through the added trouble tooling the die with this added feature, they had a reason?......~~=o&o>........

Edited by ThumperHead
  • Helpful 1

My opinion it's there to catch oil and directing the oil into the main bearing.

Not for oil. The front cam chain guide fits into it.

• Helpful 1

Hey guys just updating everyone, thank you for all the advice and responses. After showing a few local mechanics how bad the damage is I’ve been left with 2 options. Option 1 buy a full new case, rebuild the bottom and top end since the cases are split anyways and then cry myself to sleep Later over the amount of money wasted on an old bike. Option 2 they seem to think that I got lucky and that the guide will still hold. They’ve told me to try running it as is before going with the first option so that’s the plan for now! 

13 minutes ago, Jason Dean said:

My opinion it's there to catch oil and directing the oil into the main bearing.

Not for oil. The front cam chain guide fits into it.

Sorry my bad. Below me a newer reply "new cases" i'd be looking for a set of good used empty cases long before shelling out for new ones being it's a 12 year old bike. 

Just saw your photo of the pocket the guide slips into. That pocket looks deep enough to hold the guide in place provided it has some mechanical means to keep the guide pressured downwards into the pocket. If so hell i'd assemble and ride it now seeing the whole picture unless the broken piece had pressure on the guide keeping it parallel vs possibly twisting now. Dry fit assemble and check the guide's alignment, good then assemble or better yet have it Tig welded back on.....~~=o&o>...... 

Edited by ThumperHead

Much better pic .  Steam clean , reassemble broken piece to be tig welded ..   plenty of area to weld from inside ..should be easy for a good welder ..   pay the price .  Leave at least a 6 pack tip if it looks good  ......

Look at the bright side, the chain didn't bunch up blowing out the bottom of the case. Have the welder Vee out the two pieces for a wider and stronger filler bead. The engine out of the frame and possibly welded without splitting the cases? That would be nice......~~=o&o>......

• Helpful 1