I have a crf450x I just bought and it has a rekluse clutch. You can stop with it in gear without the clutch... 

Do they hold up ok?

Should I go back to a regular clutch system?

Don't know much about them...

Edited by Jay monee

6 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Give it a few rides to see if you like a rekluse ( MANY people do) before just pulling it out. Is the bike for use on a track or trails?

Joe

Trails... I like it, thought it was pretty cool! But don't know how they hold up, how often do you have to replace clutch plates 

Ive got one in my YZ 250, been in there for years. Just change the gearbox oil regularly, like once a year. Never replaced plates, never touch it. I have no clutch leaver at all, just auto engage. Left hand is now a rear brake leaver, like a mountain bike. Best setup ever in my opinion, don't know why they don't sell the off the shop floor set up like mine? 

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jay monee said:

Trails... I like it, thought it was pretty cool! But don't know how they hold up, how often do you have to replace clutch plates 

There's really only one downside to the Rekluse. Not that it ever gave me any Issues. But. If you stall going up hill, the bike will roll backwards.

I've had 3 or 4, different models, Core, Pro etc. They've all been awesome. Pretty much, Set and forget.

• Like 1

I have the Rekluse on my YZ450f and it helps me get so many holeshots... 3rd gear and pin it when the gate drops, no excessive wheel spin, controlled traction and no upshift means holeshot!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NYMXer said:

I have the Rekluse on my YZ450f and it helps me get so many holeshots... 3rd gear and pin it when the gate drops, no excessive wheel spin, controlled traction and no upshift means holeshot!

Yeah I'm learning how to use it. This is my first 450. Been riding 2strokes my whole life! The 450 has alot of power and it's more manageable. I'm liking it but think it needs a valve adjustment almost impossible to start cold! 

I had a Radius CX in my CRF450RX and loved it, but I use a Hinson system in my CRF450X. For me, it depends on the bike. The RX has a very aggressive style of power delivery and instantaneous throttle response that can be really jerky and tiring in technical trails. You can also help cure this with mapping changes but the Rekluse in that bike made it really awesome, moreso than anything else I tried. What was also great about the Radius CX version is it acts and feels the exact same as a manual clutch at the lever, and you can use it as a manual clutch if you want to. Basically, someone else who has never used an auto clutch could ride your bike and not even know.

The X is a lot more mellow of a bike so I use a manual clutch in it. I could be wrong but I felt like at times the complete Rekluse clutch kind of tamed the "hit" of power, kind of like using a heavier flywheel weight or clutch basket. That is good in some bikes, not so good in others IMO.

1 minute ago, Doug. said:

I had a Radius CX in my CRF450RX and loved it, but I use a Hinson system in my CRF450X. For me, it depends on the bike. The RX has a very aggressive style of power delivery and instantaneous throttle response that can be really jerky and tiring in technical trails. You can also help cure this with mapping changes but the Rekluse in that bike made it really awesome, moreso than anything else I tried. What was also great about the Radius CX version is it acts and feels the exact same as a manual clutch at the lever, and you can use it as a manual clutch if you want to. Basically, someone else who has never used an auto clutch could ride your bike and not even know.

The X is a lot more mellow of a bike so I use a manual clutch in it. I could be wrong but I felt like at times the complete Rekluse clutch kind of tamed the "hit" of power, kind of like using a heavier flywheel weight or clutch basket. That is good in some bikes, not so good in others IMO.

The older Core clutch has proper clutch feel at the lever as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uniflow said:

Ive got one in my YZ 250, been in there for years. Just change the gearbox oil regularly, like once a year. Never replaced plates, never touch it. I have no clutch leaver at all, just auto engage. Left hand is now a rear brake leaver, like a mountain bike. Best setup ever in my opinion, don't know why they don't sell the off the shop floor set up like mine? 

Once a year?  Completely depends on how often you ride/ hours.

Joe

• Like 1

Probable half a dozen rides a year or so. Its been in there eight years or so. 

Edited by uniflow

I don't know how others use them. But. This is how I put the Rekluse auto clutches to good use.

In tight ST, where the track just keeps turning back on itself. Is prime Rekluse country. 3rd gear. Go hard into the corner. Brake late, as late as possible. Slam the rear brake on, (no clutch and leave it in 3rd gear). Slide the rear end around the corner. Point, then shoot, on exit. Repeat into the next corner.........etc etc etc

It's fast, and fun.

I don't know if they were ever Intended to be an anti stall device. But, that was never the reason I got one. I was forced to. My mate got one and I had to get one to keep up.

• Like 1

they work great in 450s, especially in the tight stuff and when the terrain is slick. my te 450 came with one and I like it. it works great in the slower stuff. I did a pretty hard enduro last week and Its made for that type of riding, a lot of fast guys have them on their bikes. its not a must have though. I don't think id spend the money on one if a bike didn't come with it. 

I had to learn a few tricks with mine.
Like to blip throttle on crazy downhills to engage it otherwise no engine braking.
Also on my older style I had no lever so I lost the ability to pop it up in tight to clear a log. You just have to get used to it. But it is like cheating in the real tight stuff!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jay monee said:

1.  I have a crf450x I just bought and it has a rekluse clutch. You can stop with it in gear without the clutch... 

2.  Do they hold up ok?

3.  Should I go back to a regular clutch system?

4.  Don't know much about them...

1.  Yes, that is how an auto clutch is supposed to work

2.  Yes.  I have on that is 5 years old and still going strong.  

3.  Depends on what you want/like.  You should ride the bike as is and see how you like it.

4.  There are loads of threads on TT.  Lots of people have Rekluse clutches.

• Like 1