adjusting drive chain slack (DRZ-125)

This is dumb as hell, but I am trying to figure out how to adjust the drive chain on my wife's DRZ-125L.

Two main questions:

(1) How exactly do I use the reference marks in the photo?  I'm guessing: see how many hash marks are between one edge and one of the lines on the swingarm?  What if I do something stupid like not turn each side the same amount so that one side is further in or out than the other (which I'm pretty sure I did)?   Seems like I wouldn't be able to tell from these reference marks (especially if there are two blocks, one on each side of the axle).  I feel really stupid trying to figure this out, or I'm way over-thinking it.  My KLX300 has the snail adjusters which seem way easier to me.

(2) How to measure the slack?  Again, I'm confused - the image in the service manual (http://www.crservice.dk/Suzuki cross/DR-Z125/DR-Z125_L_01E.pdf)

(page 26 of the pdf) seems to be showing the allowable deflection midway along the bottom of the chain.  Even if I'm understanding that correctly, I can't see how I could actually measure it - do I just lay a ruler there, pull the chain all the way down, note the reading, and pull it all the way up, and take the difference between those numbers?

tensioner.jpg

9 hours ago, jason126B said:

This is dumb as hell, but I am trying to figure out how to adjust the drive chain on my wife's DRZ-125L.

Two main questions:

(1) How exactly do I use the reference marks in the photo?  I'm guessing: see how many hash marks are between one edge and one of the lines on the swingarm?  What if I do something stupid like not turn each side the same amount so that one side is further in or out than the other (which I'm pretty sure I did)?   Seems like I wouldn't be able to tell from these reference marks (especially if there are two blocks, one on each side of the axle).  I feel really stupid trying to figure this out, or I'm way over-thinking it.  My KLX300 has the snail adjusters which seem way easier to me.

(2) How to measure the slack?  Again, I'm confused - the image in the service manual (http://www.crservice.dk/Suzuki cross/DR-Z125/DR-Z125_L_01E.pdf)

(page 26 of the pdf) seems to be showing the allowable deflection midway along the bottom of the chain.  Even if I'm understanding that correctly, I can't see how I could actually measure it - do I just lay a ruler there, pull the chain all the way down, note the reading, and pull it all the way up, and take the difference between those numbers?

tensioner.jpg

I loosen up my axel bolt, make sure the adjuster nuts are close to equal, I take a mini wrench and set it up on top of my rear sprocket and slowly roll my wheel until it becomes tight, next I adjust both of the axel adjuster blocks until they match up close. Next I tighten up my rear axel bolt to specs, and roll the wheel fwd and set my small wrench free. I put my fingers on the front plastic chain slider, it should be about 3 fingers up off of the slider for slack. Go roost!😊

Thanks, M E T A L A C I D!  That was clearer than the manual.  The trick with the mini wrench helped get the axle tight to the adjuster block.