Who’s ridden yz125x & 200rr, thoughts?

On 11/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, kawagumby said:

I'll pipe in on a YZ125 vs 200rr for trail riding...

I own a slightly revised, well-tuned '01 YZ125 and the '19 Beta 200rr.  Stock, that upgraded reed and FMF pipe-equipped yz was almost devoid of low end, from a dead stop on the bottom of a hill, sometimes I'd have to turn around as it couldn't get going without ridiculous clutch abuse.  However, simply installing a 35mm carb and changing the timing made the bike very respectable down low...and those kinds of hill are no longer an issue.  If I can change the power curve, certainly Yamaha can too - and do so in much more sophisticated and complete ways.  I also revalved the suspension and went down one size on the rear shock spring... that '01 YZ125 is now an absolute hoot to ride on trails of just about any sort short of an uphill rocky creek bed.  The Beta 200 is a different animal, and is, no doubt a better enduro-type bike (with its strong pop right off of idle), and is my first choice for very technical single track and longer, somewhat more sedate trail riding.  But, I can honestly say that the old YZ can be more pure fun to ride on most trails...why?  Because it feels feathery light, even though both bikes weigh about the same.  The 125 brings out the animal, LOL!!!  The 125 requires a bit more mental energy to the same trails, but pays off with less physical wear, most of the time.  I can only imagine what that modern X version must bring to the table.

So, if you ride trails like in the video above, and like to be aggressive, that 125 may be the ticket to maximize your fun - it is a temptation for sure (I hope I never ride one ?).

Actually I think your assessment may be close at least for stock for stock.. In some riding conditions at least..but then you know too since you modded and there was big change in your 01 125 that this is all early. I can see guys haven’t even really started modding the 200 at all from what I can see. There’s going to be lots more development I think. Both these bikes are brand new. Well the yzx is a developed from the Yz so there’s common mods there.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

4 hours ago, NEGbrap said:

The funny thing is its a damn unanimous decision that "he who shall not be named" routinely dilutes the validity of any thread he starts commenting on. It has literally been years of the same thing and no one ever does anything. Frustrating. Maybe some basic post "rules and guidelines for post spamming" would help this out. I can't imagine he is a big a tool in real life as he comes across online. It's just diarrhea most of the time. I know some of yall will see this before I get banned or blocked or the post is deleted, but wholy mother of god can someone work on this? Mods? Bueller? Anyone?

What have you contributed? Nothing.. just bitch but no posts related to anything to the topic. Everything Ive posted is directly related to the bikes involved. You want better content? Post some. :excuseme: 
There’s actually no dilution of validity at all. So I post links of those with Beta 200’s ,  yz 125’s and  links to other threads where these bikes are talked about by others. That’s just what is. You are welcome to actually contribute at any time instead of criticizing me for adding related info.  You rather whine. Put your effort in more info about the bikes talking about.

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I’m not a teacher and not yours . You ran away. You started the thread then abandoned it. Are you really interested in these 2 bikes? Or did you just throw up a couple of bikes just for the hell of it? You never really said anything about your preference in these bikes and why or clarified later. You went absent and I just filled in some info for actually a couple of different scenarios of what you or others might consider..but I don’t know what you are interested in. You never got specific. You didn’t answer inquiries like others who put up threads and ask about bikes here. It’s not my thread. It’s yours. As far as the x and the rr 125 why don’t you put up info this time and you specifically tell us what you are interested in knowing. :excuseme:

Sorry I just kind of lost interest once you highjacked the topic and proceeded with your condescending attitude of why would anyone even consider comparing these 2 bikes. Yes I could have given a bit more info but I was more interested  in others seat of the pants impressions. Like I said before sorry I posted it here. I didn’t realize you had such strict cc/brand rules when asking for perspectives on particular models. Certainly did not intend to set you off.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I read this as a desperate plea to seek validation that a 144 cc kit is OK to buy. Nobody keeps a 125 stock, ever. "If you're going to make it a 144, may as well pay full retail on a Beta 200RR". Wait, you already have one. You're dewatering HDR's argument some. :jawdrop:

It’s not an argument especially at all. It’s just what is . Ones a 125 and ones a 200. Even  though there’s a huge delay in acknowledging the power difference for a few pages. If anything kawagumby knows better because he has a yz125 modded and a 200 in his garage. The 2020 125x is upgraded of course but it’s a 125. I know guys with 300’s that have gotten 125’s to practice clutch and throttle skills and working traction .. and it’s fun too and a change. That was also when 125 2t bikes were a dime a dozen on cl. Now for whatever reason used 125 2t bikes are holding their value big time. What was a grand to 1500 is 2500 to 3500. There aren’t as many 125’s being brought in maybe? Idk but prices are up for used.

1 hour ago, epicride said:

Sorry I just kind of lost interest once you highjacked the topic and proceeded with your condescending attitude of why would anyone even consider comparing these 2 bikes. Yes I could have given a bit more info but I was more interested  in others seat of the pants impressions. Like I said before sorry I posted it here. I didn’t realize you had such strict cc/brand rules when asking for perspectives on particular models. Certainly did not intend to set you off.  

I threw up related info. That’s all. Another thing is lots of guys straight have ridden 125’s and then leave 125’s to go to 200’s or bigger . I mean I don’t know anyone going from a 200 to a 125 . I mean the regular route for tons of dirtriders riding and  racing from young is to go minibike, 125, then 250 and bigger. That’s super common.  I’m not being condescending.  It’s just a weird progression with such a disparity in power that drastically changes choices in riding.  You tell me what you like and I’ll say ok. :excuseme: GreenMT and Kawagumby ride 125’s. It’s their preference. Im sure they are fine that some rather ride bikes with more power but they like their 125s.

36 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Figure Davey Coombs knows s thing or two about the veracity of the 125X as a capable GNCC bike. 

https://racerxonline.com/2019/11/20/250-words-2020-yamaha-off-road-intro

And Jared Bolton: 

https://gnccracing.com/2019/11/21/quick-fill-36-this-week-in-gncc 

Its not fare to compare pro offroad racers to hacks like most of us that play on our days off. These guys can get on a bike and feel comfortable in minutes when it would take most of us hours. Some of us never feel comfortable on a bike which was my case on my 500 exc. Posting these sort of vidoes is where its getting a little much.

By the way HBR`s is not the only one who`s posts are getting annoying. There are way too many irrelevant youtube vidoes and  mindless internet babble on this thread. Some good relevant post,but most of the posts here are worthless. Firffighter and HBR have a way of taking over these threads in this forum and making them worthless.While never innocent HBR is not the only one taking this thread into the shitter he had help as he usually does and the help always seems to be Firffighter.

Edited by Eric72

9 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

Its not fare to compare pro offroad racers to hacks like most of us that play on our days off. These guys can get on a bike and feel comfortable in minutes when it would take most of us hours. Some of us never feel comfortable on a bike which was my case on my 500 exc. Posting these sort of vidoes is where its getting a little much.

By the way HBR`s is not the only one who`s posts are getting annoying. There are way too many irrelevant youtube vidoes and  mindless internet babble on this thread. Some good relevant post,but most of the posts here are worthless. Firffighter and HBR have a way of taking over these threads in this forum and making them worthless.While never innocent HBR is not the only one taking this thread into the shitter he had help as he usually does and the help always seems to be Firffighter.

Yeah, all those post from local WA rider GreenMT riding the new 125X  are pretty irrelevant :bonk: 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Yeah, all those post from local WA rider GreenMT riding the new 125X  are pretty irrelevant :bonk: 

Is GreenMT really a local WA rider? Damn i guess people really do learn something everyday. I really should get out in my own area and meet people. Davey Combs and GreenMT are not the same rider and to compare them is just plain stupid. That is no knock on GreenMT. One is a nationally known pro who has been riding for decades, the other is an awesome local  WA rider with more skills than just his riding. Comparing the 2 is idiotic. I said nothing against Don`s( GreenMT) posts in this thread and to be honest his are among those that actually provide some good information.

By the way the more you beat yourself with a hammer the more brain cells you are loosing. You really should think about stopping, before its too late. It might already be too late.

Edited by Eric72

4 hours ago, Eric72 said:

First of all this thread was severely flawed from the start. No one here posting has ridden a yz125x and a Beta 200 rr.  No one.  So whatever info for comparing is completely limited to guestimating. It’s kind of just doing the best with the limited info available.  Gotta come back to this thread in a year or 2 when there actually are riders who have ridden both bikes.  Next. Most all the ones bitching haven’t contributed. Simple is if one rode a 200 rr or a 125 x and they post then they have real world experience. I kind of think anyone who hasn’t ridden any of these bikes and tried to find relevant info about these bikes and put it up then they just are whining and aren’t helping. Are you helping or hindering?  The other thing that over and  over gets avoided talking about is the way greater power of the 200.  Some here are full of shit here just not saying that a 200 motor in a 125 frame is almost every time going to be a slam dunk better that a 125. All the posts I have put up are earlier links to talking about yz125’s comparing to Beta 125’s( which makes more sense to start)  200 rr links,I’d put yz125x vids up but guys already put enough of those up so no need. It’s a comparison of 2 bikes so info on what each bike is should go up.:excuseme: How the &%$#@! do you compare bikes when you don’t know the bikes? ? . :ride: 

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Chief,

Did you ever decide between the YZ125X and the Beta 200 RR?

Ummm..... no. 

This year kinda changed the course of things a little bit. 

But I did get KYB’s for the Beta300. ?