Jump to content
yamalube324

Making the move to North Carolina

Recommended Posts

So in the very near future I am going to be moving to NC.  I am originally from RI.  I live in AK right now and will be leaving soon to live in NC for the warmer weather and about everything else it has to offer. My wife and I are looking at the suburbs of Raleigh Durham area.  Holly Springs, Cary, Greensboro, Wake Forest areas.  I am looking for positives and negatives of the areas, any help is greatly appreciated thanks.  My wife works in the commercial insurance industry, and I have worked for the DOT in both RI and VT, as well as worked in the military refueling aircraft.  Thanks for any input.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check rider planet for areas to ride near the locations you've listed. You didn't really give any details on what your riding either or what kind of riding you like to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well one I sold my bike, so riding right now is not an important thing. Not as important as trying to lock down a place to live that is safe for my child and has a good school system too. I have raced mx and harescrambles. I will be doing harescrambles again. 

I'm just looking for recommendations on living areas not so much riding areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live near Greensboro,  great area,  in the middle of everything. Beautiful country everywhere around.  Cary, Holly Springs, Wake Forest are Raleigh suburbs and it's way to crowded. Durham right next to Raleigh is also too crowded. I've traveled the whole state with the work I do.

Edited by Beamer1001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh all right.  Thank you.  I do not have a bike right now, just sold it.  So I am not really looking for a place to ride right away.  I will be trying to get into the scramble series there eventually.  That is unfortunate that they are overcrowded.  We will be definitely looking to rent first, but a single house, with no neighbors sharing walls like I have now lol.  I really will need a job as soon as I get down there.  With the amount of work you guys have compared to us hopefully it will be easy.  Thanks for the heads up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a few weeks old but I'll chime in as a native of Winston-Salem but living in Raleigh since 2005.  

Far as jobs, don't think either of you will have much issue anywhere in the state.  There are a lot of DOT projects taking place, especially Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh.  

Greensboro is a great city, though not a suburb of Raleigh.  It's distinctly part of the Triad with Winston and High Point.  Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill make up the Triangle.  It's roughly 1-1.5 hours between the two.  Greensboro has been growing and there's alot there with regards to job prospects, infrastructure, etc.  It's big enough to have everything, but still a relatively small city.  Traffic generally isn't too bad.  Browns Summit, McLeansville, etc are good suburbs around Greensboro, and all pretty easily accessible.  PTI is a decent enough airport to fly out of.  There's a great suspension guy nearby just north of Burlington.  😁

Now Raleigh (and Durham).  Where you choose to live should be HIGHLY HIGHLY dependent on where you're going to work.  If you work near the airport/RTP (research triangle park) area, you want to be close by.  Traffic on 40 and 540 is pure hell at rush hour.  You do NOT want to be driving around the city for your commute (I know, I did it for 5 years).  Here's a quick rundown of the Raleigh 'burbs:

Cary - oldest, most established.  Convenient to the airport, RTP, Raleigh proper, etc.  You either love it or hate it.  I hate it because it's not my cup of tea (very much run like a private community).  But it is nice.  Great schools, great amenities, great location, etc.

Holly Springs/Apex - I lump these together because of location, but Apex a much more established "town".  Plenty of amenities, good schools.  Very easy to get to the airport/RTP area via the toll road, 540 (though $$$).  Also easy to get to downtown Raleigh straight up US1.  Note US1 can get a bit busy at rush hour, though not terrible.  540 is an easy drive - never crowded.

Morrisville/Brier Creek - right by the airport.  Bedroom communities.  Traffic, traffic, traffic.  Pure suburban hell.  Avoid. 

Fuquay-Varina - good schools, good neighborhoods, tons of amenities, great downtown area.  540 toll to the airport area isn't too bad, but 401 to or from Raleigh is generally pure hell at rush hour so keep that in mind.  Even outside of rush hour it sucks - too many stoplights.

Garner - bedroom community, SE side of the city.  Easy enough to get pretty much anywhere, but 40 can get backed up.

Clayton - this is in Johnston County.  Probably the fastest growing.  Alot of jobs out that way, but avoid commuting West at all costs.  It's awful.  Furthest you'd want to go would be the NE side of the city.  Traffic going that direction isn't bad.  Large downtown area, lots of good stuff in Clayton.

Wendell/Knightdale - this is where I live.  Knightdale is chain restaurant heaven but getting better.  Lots of good neighborhoods, schools are subpar.  Cheaper than other areas.  Wendell Falls is one of the biggest developments in the area.  I commute to 540/capital blvd on the NE side of the city and it's easy peasy.  I USED to drive out to Morrisville (RTP/airport area) and wanted to shoot myself every morning.  HORRIBLE.  Downtown Raleigh is 15-20 mins.  It's a very good location for everything but the airport at rush hour (otherwise only half an hour).  Wendell is growing fast.

Wake Forest - NOT where the University is located (used to be, but it got moved to Winston-Salem).  WF probably has the best neighborhoods and schools  It's alot like Cary, but bigger.  It has everything you could want.  Close to Falls Lake.  Getting to and from Raleigh/the airport is easy UNLESS it's rush hour.  Even driving from Wake Forest down US1 (capital blvd) to the North side of the city sucks.  Bad.  If there's a wreck it could easily take over an hour, and it's only a few miles.  

I know that's alot but hope it helps.  Feel free to contact me directly for specific questions.  In short, all the burbs of Raleigh are pretty decent; which one you choose to live in should be highly dependent on where you'll be working. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NCwolf said:

I know this is a few weeks old but I'll chime in as a native of Winston-Salem but living in Raleigh since 2005.  

Far as jobs, don't think either of you will have much issue anywhere in the state.  There are a lot of DOT projects taking place, especially Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh.  

Greensboro is a great city, though not a suburb of Raleigh.  It's distinctly part of the Triad with Winston and High Point.  Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill make up the Triangle.  It's roughly 1-1.5 hours between the two.  Greensboro has been growing and there's alot there with regards to job prospects, infrastructure, etc.  It's big enough to have everything, but still a relatively small city.  Traffic generally isn't too bad.  Browns Summit, McLeansville, etc are good suburbs around Greensboro, and all pretty easily accessible.  PTI is a decent enough airport to fly out of.  There's a great suspension guy nearby just north of Burlington.  😁

Now Raleigh (and Durham).  Where you choose to live should be HIGHLY HIGHLY dependent on where you're going to work.  If you work near the airport/RTP (research triangle park) area, you want to be close by.  Traffic on 40 and 540 is pure hell at rush hour.  You do NOT want to be driving around the city for your commute (I know, I did it for 5 years).  Here's a quick rundown of the Raleigh 'burbs:

Cary - oldest, most established.  Convenient to the airport, RTP, Raleigh proper, etc.  You either love it or hate it.  I hate it because it's not my cup of tea (very much run like a private community).  But it is nice.  Great schools, great amenities, great location, etc.

Holly Springs/Apex - I lump these together because of location, but Apex a much more established "town".  Plenty of amenities, good schools.  Very easy to get to the airport/RTP area via the toll road, 540 (though $$$).  Also easy to get to downtown Raleigh straight up US1.  Note US1 can get a bit busy at rush hour, though not terrible.  540 is an easy drive - never crowded.

Morrisville/Brier Creek - right by the airport.  Bedroom communities.  Traffic, traffic, traffic.  Pure suburban hell.  Avoid. 

Fuquay-Varina - good schools, good neighborhoods, tons of amenities, great downtown area.  540 toll to the airport area isn't too bad, but 401 to or from Raleigh is generally pure hell at rush hour so keep that in mind.  Even outside of rush hour it sucks - too many stoplights.

Garner - bedroom community, SE side of the city.  Easy enough to get pretty much anywhere, but 40 can get backed up.

Clayton - this is in Johnston County.  Probably the fastest growing.  Alot of jobs out that way, but avoid commuting West at all costs.  It's awful.  Furthest you'd want to go would be the NE side of the city.  Traffic going that direction isn't bad.  Large downtown area, lots of good stuff in Clayton.

Wendell/Knightdale - this is where I live.  Knightdale is chain restaurant heaven but getting better.  Lots of good neighborhoods, schools are subpar.  Cheaper than other areas.  Wendell Falls is one of the biggest developments in the area.  I commute to 540/capital blvd on the NE side of the city and it's easy peasy.  I USED to drive out to Morrisville (RTP/airport area) and wanted to shoot myself every morning.  HORRIBLE.  Downtown Raleigh is 15-20 mins.  It's a very good location for everything but the airport at rush hour (otherwise only half an hour).  Wendell is growing fast.

Wake Forest - NOT where the University is located (used to be, but it got moved to Winston-Salem).  WF probably has the best neighborhoods and schools  It's alot like Cary, but bigger.  It has everything you could want.  Close to Falls Lake.  Getting to and from Raleigh/the airport is easy UNLESS it's rush hour.  Even driving from Wake Forest down US1 (capital blvd) to the North side of the city sucks.  Bad.  If there's a wreck it could easily take over an hour, and it's only a few miles.  

I know that's alot but hope it helps.  Feel free to contact me directly for specific questions.  In short, all the burbs of Raleigh are pretty decent; which one you choose to live in should be highly dependent on where you'll be working. 

 

Thank you so much!!!!!  I am going to have my wife read this.  This is a great help!!!   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he's basically saying is Durham, Raleigh and RTP/ Chappel hill are too crowded and you should definitely consider the Greensboro area where I live and he used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Beamer1001 said:

What he's basically saying is Durham, Raleigh and RTP/ Chappel hill are too crowded and you should definitely consider the Greensboro area where I live and he used to.

As far as Greensboro, what is the work situation like?  My wife works commercial insurance, so she needs some kind of city near by, because usually that is where the big companies are.  But maybe that isn't true down there I don't know.  This move is kind of scary, more scary than coming out here.  If my wife can't keep her job and maybe work from home, we have no jobs.  But the move is happening regardless.  We will need daycare, and health benefits.  So I need to lock down an area soon, and start finding rental housing.  And I need to figure out how I am getting my stuff out of here.  I hauled it up here using a 24 foot trailer using my 16 f150.  But damn that sucked.  Now I am trying to downsize to a 20 foot trailer roughly.  But I don't know if I should have a moving company do it or do it myself.....  

 

So looking at Google Maps, I am seeing that this is a pretty good sized area.   Now, what are some towns around the area that are worth looking at for houses?  Thanks.  

Edited by yamalube324

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greensboro is large and so is Winston Salem, right next to it. It's also only an hour away from the Raleigh, Durham, Chappel Hill area ( as long as you don't get stuck on the interstate).  Some small towns were mention earlier. I like the northside, Browns Summit, Summerfield, Oakridge. I'd stick to the north and east side. Those are the newer developed areas.  The southside has been developed longer and you'll find more older and cheaper housing there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been "kinda lookin'" at NC.

 

Thinking the Newport area...

 

I look at RE there, and think, "Such a deal!"

Nice, quaint houses are less than $180K! Taxes aren't ridiculous either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, NCwolf said:

I know this is a few weeks old but I'll chime in as a native of Winston-Salem but living in Raleigh since 2005.  

Far as jobs, don't think either of you will have much issue anywhere in the state.  There are a lot of DOT projects taking place, especially Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh.  

Greensboro is a great city, though not a suburb of Raleigh.  It's distinctly part of the Triad with Winston and High Point.  Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill make up the Triangle.  It's roughly 1-1.5 hours between the two.  Greensboro has been growing and there's alot there with regards to job prospects, infrastructure, etc.  It's big enough to have everything, but still a relatively small city.  Traffic generally isn't too bad.  Browns Summit, McLeansville, etc are good suburbs around Greensboro, and all pretty easily accessible.  PTI is a decent enough airport to fly out of.  There's a great suspension guy nearby just north of Burlington.  😁

Now Raleigh (and Durham).  Where you choose to live should be HIGHLY HIGHLY dependent on where you're going to work.  If you work near the airport/RTP (research triangle park) area, you want to be close by.  Traffic on 40 and 540 is pure hell at rush hour.  You do NOT want to be driving around the city for your commute (I know, I did it for 5 years).  Here's a quick rundown of the Raleigh 'burbs:

Cary - oldest, most established.  Convenient to the airport, RTP, Raleigh proper, etc.  You either love it or hate it.  I hate it because it's not my cup of tea (very much run like a private community).  But it is nice.  Great schools, great amenities, great location, etc.

Holly Springs/Apex - I lump these together because of location, but Apex a much more established "town".  Plenty of amenities, good schools.  Very easy to get to the airport/RTP area via the toll road, 540 (though $$$).  Also easy to get to downtown Raleigh straight up US1.  Note US1 can get a bit busy at rush hour, though not terrible.  540 is an easy drive - never crowded.

Morrisville/Brier Creek - right by the airport.  Bedroom communities.  Traffic, traffic, traffic.  Pure suburban hell.  Avoid. 

Fuquay-Varina - good schools, good neighborhoods, tons of amenities, great downtown area.  540 toll to the airport area isn't too bad, but 401 to or from Raleigh is generally pure hell at rush hour so keep that in mind.  Even outside of rush hour it sucks - too many stoplights.

Garner - bedroom community, SE side of the city.  Easy enough to get pretty much anywhere, but 40 can get backed up.

Clayton - this is in Johnston County.  Probably the fastest growing.  Alot of jobs out that way, but avoid commuting West at all costs.  It's awful.  Furthest you'd want to go would be the NE side of the city.  Traffic going that direction isn't bad.  Large downtown area, lots of good stuff in Clayton.

Wendell/Knightdale - this is where I live.  Knightdale is chain restaurant heaven but getting better.  Lots of good neighborhoods, schools are subpar.  Cheaper than other areas.  Wendell Falls is one of the biggest developments in the area.  I commute to 540/capital blvd on the NE side of the city and it's easy peasy.  I USED to drive out to Morrisville (RTP/airport area) and wanted to shoot myself every morning.  HORRIBLE.  Downtown Raleigh is 15-20 mins.  It's a very good location for everything but the airport at rush hour (otherwise only half an hour).  Wendell is growing fast.

Wake Forest - NOT where the University is located (used to be, but it got moved to Winston-Salem).  WF probably has the best neighborhoods and schools  It's alot like Cary, but bigger.  It has everything you could want.  Close to Falls Lake.  Getting to and from Raleigh/the airport is easy UNLESS it's rush hour.  Even driving from Wake Forest down US1 (capital blvd) to the North side of the city sucks.  Bad.  If there's a wreck it could easily take over an hour, and it's only a few miles.  

I know that's alot but hope it helps.  Feel free to contact me directly for specific questions.  In short, all the burbs of Raleigh are pretty decent; which one you choose to live in should be highly dependent on where you'll be working. 

 

What he said...lol.  I moved here 10 years ago and have lived in the Clayton area since.  I commuted to Morrisville/RDU area for 4 years and it was the worst.  Now I work for the state and commute to Downtown Raleigh.  It's a 25 mile drive and it takes me 35-40min leaving my house at around 6:20.  I work 7-3:30 and my commute is roughly the same morning and afternoon.  Except in the summer...Friday afternoons suck because everyone is heading to the beach for the weekend.  If you time it right, traffic here is manageable, but if your a 9-5er, your screwed.  Schools are pretty good out this way and the majority of the neighborhoods are pretty safe.  Decent shopping within 20 minutes (Outlets in Smithfield/White Oak in Garner), 1 1/2 hrs to the beach, 3 hours to the mountains.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

What he said...lol.  I moved here 10 years ago and have lived in the Clayton area since.  I commuted to Morrisville/RDU area for 4 years and it was the worst.  Now I work for the state and commute to Downtown Raleigh.  It's a 25 mile drive and it takes me 35-40min leaving my house at around 6:20.  I work 7-3:30 and my commute is roughly the same morning and afternoon.  Except in the summer...Friday afternoons suck because everyone is heading to the beach for the weekend.  If you time it right, traffic here is manageable, but if your a 9-5er, your screwed.  Schools are pretty good out this way and the majority of the neighborhoods are pretty safe.  Decent shopping within 20 minutes (Outlets in Smithfield/White Oak in Garner), 1 1/2 hrs to the beach, 3 hours to the mountains.  

 

So, when we leave here we are looking to rent for roughly a year.  We really want our own place to live.  Since we are renting when we get there, we have 75% decided on Holly Springs for now.....  Hopefully it will work out.  -10 degrees this morning, and I am sick of it lol.  Yeah I know it is Alaska blah blah but I am cold....  We haven't seen teen temps in over 3 weeks now.  We keep seeing negative teens.  My daughter will be turning three in May, so I will need day care.  If you don't mind me asking what is it that you do for the State?  I was maybe looking to get a job working for the State, since I have done it for RI and VT.  I am good at plowing snow lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, yamalube324 said:

So, when we leave here we are looking to rent for roughly a year.  We really want our own place to live.  Since we are renting when we get there, we have 75% decided on Holly Springs for now.....  Hopefully it will work out.  -10 degrees this morning, and I am sick of it lol.  Yeah I know it is Alaska blah blah but I am cold....  We haven't seen teen temps in over 3 weeks now.  We keep seeing negative teens.  My daughter will be turning three in May, so I will need day care.  If you don't mind me asking what is it that you do for the State?  I was maybe looking to get a job working for the State, since I have done it for RI and VT.  I am good at plowing snow lol.  

I hear ya, I'm from NY originally and not a fan of the cold myself.  I think the high this week was 75 but its about to get pretty cold...40's...lol.  Holly Springs is a nice area, it was my 2nd choice after Clayton, but Clayton just had more rental homes at the time.  I am an Accountant for the Department of Insurance.  Not much call for snow plow drivers around here but I'm sure your skills could be utilized, especially if you have a clean CDL.  Check out the NCOSHR website for openings within the state.  Also S.T. Wooten is doing a lot of the highway work around here, they might have some opportunities.  Some other companies to look at are Fred Smith Company and Barnhill.  Best of luck with the move.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I hear ya, I'm from NY originally and not a fan of the cold myself.  I think the high this week was 75 but its about to get pretty cold...40's...lol.  Holly Springs is a nice area, it was my 2nd choice after Clayton, but Clayton just had more rental homes at the time.  I am an Accountant for the Department of Insurance.  Not much call for snow plow drivers around here but I'm sure your skills could be utilized, especially if you have a clean CDL.  Check out the NCOSHR website for openings within the state.  Also S.T. Wooten is doing a lot of the highway work around here, they might have some opportunities.  Some other companies to look at are Fred Smith Company and Barnhill.  Best of luck with the move.  

Thank you so much...  I will start looking into them.  Maybe throw my resume to some of these people see what there is to offer.  Maybe just maybe, try to line something up who knows?  Yes I have a clean B CDL with a tanker endorsement. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I hear ya, I'm from NY originally and not a fan of the cold myself.  I think the high this week was 75 but its about to get pretty cold...40's...lol.  Holly Springs is a nice area, it was my 2nd choice after Clayton, but Clayton just had more rental homes at the time.  I am an Accountant for the Department of Insurance.  Not much call for snow plow drivers around here but I'm sure your skills could be utilized, especially if you have a clean CDL.  Check out the NCOSHR website for openings within the state.  Also S.T. Wooten is doing a lot of the highway work around here, they might have some opportunities.  Some other companies to look at are Fred Smith Company and Barnhill.  Best of luck with the move.  

Thank you so much...  I will start looking into them.  Maybe throw my resume to some of these people see what there is to offer.  Maybe just maybe, try to line something up who knows?  Yes I have a clean B CDL with a tanker endorsement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...