DRZ 400e Electrical, speedo and headlight problems

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum, but I have been reading other topics for a while now. 

I'll give a brief description of my problem first; My speedometer and headlight began flashing and would stop doing so when the throttle was released, the footage I linked is not mine, but it is exactly the same problem I was having. 

To explain in more detail, I was on my ride home when I first noticed the headlight flickering, after watching it I noticed the speedo was doing the same. I got home and messed with the bike a little, and when I would open the throttle above a certain rev the speedo would begin to flicker like in the video attached. 

When I first encountered the issue it was day time and the speedo backlighting was not on, after I left the bike for an hour or two I came back to check the bike again, at this point it was night time and when I turned the key the speedo backlight did turn on. I tried to e start the bike and the starter wouldn't turn over, then the speedo turned off completely and only the neutral light was lit. 

I assumed this was due to a dead battery as I had read on a thumper talk topic (linked below) where this video was taken from that his battery was a dud and had to be replaced. At the time I thought this could have possibly been due to an overheated stator and the battery was drained from my ride home and a parastic drain from the wiring. After testing my battery I found it was 13.3 V and was basically fully charged. This makes me think the stator is not fried as the battery would have drained from riding if the stator wasnt charging the battery. 

I plan to go through the wiring harness and test all the electrical connections, see if there are connections or ground wires that have vibrated loose. As this will take some time, in the mean time I figured I'd see if anyone has any ideas on what the culprit could possibly be or where I should start to look to fix the problem. 

Any response is much appreciated, Cheers :D

Original topic where I obtained the video: 

Measuring the battery voltage with no load does not show much. Try measuring the voltage while starting, or with the key on and the headlight illuminated. Under load, a weak battery will show a huge voltage drop. If the voltage only dips a bit when loaded, then the battery is good. This is a first thing to verify

12 hours ago, Casper Jordaan said:

Hopefully I am wrong. I think you have a overcharging problem there. Did you measure the voltage on idle and on rev up?

5 hours ago, dad2u said:

Measuring the battery voltage with no load does not show much. Try measuring the voltage while starting, or with the key on and the headlight illuminated. Under load, a weak battery will show a huge voltage drop. If the voltage only dips a bit when loaded, then the battery is good. This is a first thing to verify

Thanks for the response, I'll check the battery on the bike at idle, rev up and under load and see what happens. Any idea how to remedy an overcharging problem ? 

I did charge the battery on a trickle charger and I think the 13 V reading was as a result of that, although at the time I didnt think it had been charging for long enough as it had only been on for a minute. I came back an hour after taking the 13 V reading and the battery had dropped to 11.12 V. I charged it last night and it went over 14 V which I thought was wrong. Came back this morning and it was all the way back to 11.12 V. 

I have a feeling the battery has a dead cell, I plan to take the battery to batteryworld to have it tested and replaced if faulty. 

Edited by DR Z dan