wadzi, another thing. If you end up deciding on a f-150, whatever deal you make, make sure that part of it includes whoever is selling it disable the chime inside the truck that goes, dunnnaling dunnaling dunnailing every time you touch something!  That shit would drive me bananas. 

Shit this might help. But the one I mean wasn't the seat belt or door ajar. If he touched the trailer brakes or anything it would go off

4 minutes ago, 00boob said:

My K5 was built in 10/69. It was sold as a 1970 but has all the 69 bits (CST)

I also had a '67 GMC 2wd street truck. Custom interior, 327, auto, powerlock dana 44.... it had the steel bed (not supposed to have until 68) and it had the big back window, also not until 68. But, it didn't have the side marker lights like were mandatory in 68. Maybe a late roller of off the line in 67. 

Just now, CornPop said:

I also had a '67 GMC 2wd street truck. Custom interior, 327, auto, powerlock dana 44.... it had the steel bed (not supposed to have until 68) and it had the big back window, also not until 68. But, it didn't have the side marker lights like were mandatory in 68. Maybe a late roller of off the line in 67. 

OR... COPO or, that's what parts they had left that day on the line (got to keep the line rolling).

• Haha 1

Have you considered the 2019 Ram 1500 classic? I love my 14 with the 5.7 and 8 spd. Rides great and tows really well. I drive about 25 miles a day back and forth to work with small town driving stop and go I get about 16-17mpg. Don’t check my hwy mileage much because I’m always towing there so usually about 12mpg with a loaded 6x10 tall trailer. The classic models are the old body style still have plenty of bells and whistles and can be had with full crew can and 6’4 bed, so larger than the standard 5’5. Another plus on these models are huge rebates. Good luck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mad Dog Mike said:

20191104_130622.jpg

Nice old Honda! XR 350? 

All this truck talk got me curious. I measured the bed of my f250 and it's just a  tad over 8' 2". ?

Ever since I got this truck, at the end of a riding day, I will ride my bike up into the bed. Seems like I got a mile to get er stopped. That's with no tailgate. Add the tailgate and that's another 2 feet! :ride:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CornPop said:

Nice old Honda! XR 350? 

All this truck talk got me curious. I measured the bed of my f250 and it's just a  tad over 8' 2". :thumbsup:

Ever since I got this truck, at the end of a riding day, I will ride my bike up into the bed. Seems like I got a mile to get er stopped. That's with no tailgate. Add the tailgate and that's another 2 feet! :ride:

83 XR500R..dry sump..RVFC heads a tractor..and a short bed..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wadzi90 said:

I claim miles for my business. At least where I’m at, if I claim miles I can’t claim any costs for my truck like insurance, maintenance, gas etc. Plus registering a 3/4 ton in Cali is almost twice as much as a half ton in comparable years. Thanks to the dems in my state.

Depreciation is separate from claiming costs or miles. You can depreciate the portion of the vehicle used for business, say it’s a 50% business vehicle you can deduct 50% of the purchase price - that’s in California. Good stuff.

I own an '18 F150 5.0 and drive an '18 Silverado 5.3 company truck and they could not be any more different.

Both have the basic work truck packages and Chevy's infotainment center is much better but Ford's gauge cluster and in-dash info is much more complete.

I do not like the way Chevy's 1500s drive. They feel like a mid-90s Cadillac to me - soft and cushy (which other folks might love), never feels settled, and the steering input is so heavy compared to the two Ford's I've had. My F150 might ride "rough" to others but I feel like it's always planted and I can throw it into a corner like a Miata compared to the Silverado. My Dad has a '14 F150 FX4 that seems to ride a bit more plush than the two I've had but still nowhere near the Chevys I've driven. Again, this is probably more of a plus for the Silverado for most people. 

The 10-speed tranny in the F150 does seem to be a bit glitchy when it's cold, but seems to be in the factory programming and not the transmission itself. BTW, I've seen some folks praise the GMC transmission and been hard on the Ford's but I believe they have the exact same transmission in the half-tons. Ford must not have the same level of computer nerds. 

I'm running 34.5"x12.5" tires on my F150 and getting 17mpg out of the 5.0, but it is a singlecab. Also, I don't think the computer has been calibrated and I've never ran the calculation to adjust for tire size so take that however you want. My Silverado company truck is running the stock street tires and getting exactly the same (sans need for tire size figurin') 17mpg.

I hardly ever tow anything, I haven't even installed a hitch ball on either truck yet so I can't speak about towing. I can say that my F150 is an absolute beast offroad; no experience with the Chevy off road, lol. 

To each their own but hopefully this helps.

20 hours ago, 00boob said:

Here's my K5. She's a little rusty but still a VERY capable 4X4.                                                                                                                                                                                                IMG_20191124_104642.jpg.02b62c1ccd55b8ce1cdc6af82d0f948f.jpgIMG_20191124_104847.jpg.56e2c5944ee42dd4894174fe0a69ec3d.jpg

Oh man! That's begging for a redo with supercharged LS and other goodies! NEVER sell that.

• Like 1

I will keep it simple. All of the trucks that mentioned are good trucks and they quite similar from one to the next. The one thing I found when shopping was what would fit my kids and my bike in the back so what I went towards was the Ford because it came with 6’6” box. Good luck.

• Like 1

You didn't state your reason for needed a crew cab on the first page, and I'm not reading through 8 pages to find it, but a quad cab can easily fit 2 adults and 2 kids with the right car seats.  I did it in my Frontier for awhile, and only went to a 1/2 ton when we had a 3rd kid so there was more room across the back.  When kid 4 was on the way my wife switched to a minivan and we realized we should have done it sooner as they work SOOOOO much better than SUV's for kids of any age and size.  Anyway, sticking with your current '17 seems like the best decision if it's a truck you're happy with, there's going to be YEARS before they're old enough to need the leg room of a crew cab unless you and your wife are both 6' 6".

But between brand new trucks, I'd go with the F150 100%.  The new Chevy is dog ugly and having some teething issues.  The Toyota is, well, dated although it's a solid truck with an engine that's still up there with the rest in the power department, but lags in the efficiency department.  If you're looking at used trucks, the 2016-2018 Silverado/Sierra's are nice and I liked them just as much as the 2015+ Fords, possibly more, when I was test driving them to jump into a crew cab 1/2 ton.

As to bed size, I run into so many people who convince themselves they NEED the 6.5" bed, but very rarely do I ever find someone who actually does, and then it's basically just people who need to tow a travel camper with 2 bikes in the bed with the tailgate shut.  I have yet to run into a situation where 12" more bed length would have made the difference in me being able to haul something or not.  8' sheets of plywood and drywall still fit fine with the tailgate down, and lumber up to 12' is easily do-able.  And with things like firewood I run out of payload before I run out of room.  If the Tundra is your primary choice, just go with it and get a tailgate extender.  You'll likely never notice the 12" shorter bed.

Any of the quad cab makers have good trucks, and they're all a little better than one another in various ways.  Like everyone here, my take on each truck is subjective, but maybe if you have a point that you like about a particular attribute then this might be helpful.

I don't ever worry too much about what a truck looks like.  I'm going to assume that this won't be the last truck you ever buy, so the interior is probably far more important than the exterior.  They all have lights, bumpers, and beds; so to that end they all perform their function.

I presume you want new, though my comments won't be exclusive to new trucks (most just have bold new styling but the underpinnings are the same).  I also assume you want a full size from your initial requirements.  With that said:

I like Fords.  Aesthetically, I like the interiors and I like the feel/layout of the vehicles, though I do get annoyed with the difficulty/glitchiness I've encountered with the phone links/media systems.  I put their ride middle-of-the-road.  Power is adequate.  Reliability is decent but like all the American offerings, it seems that there are a lot of small maintenance parts that just wear way too fast.  They're cheap, but... it gets irritating to get in there all the time.

I just sold a 2006 Chevy Z71.  I LOVED the way that thing rode; particularly on unimproved roads and over long highway trips.  It wouldn't be my choice for sporting around, but given the purpose you've stated, I think it would be a great choice.  I haven't driven a brand new one yet, but I presume they'll be similar.  A comfortable, quiet ride is great for little kids and families.  I'm not sure what the new infotainment is like on these as I had a Kenwood system installed in mine and it worked better at $100 than any factory system has to date to link my phone, etc.  What I didn't like (and what I presume to still be true) is that the non critical stuff is garbage.  Garbage switchgear, the engineering for a lot of little things are really poorly engineered.  The fuel solenoid vent would get clogged with mud and required the bed to come off to replace; ditto for the fuel level sensor which is a common fail point.  The instrument lights are constantly going out on these things and they're LEDs so you have to dig into them if you have the skills or just replace a very expensive bit (that's pretty critical).  On the very positive side, I love that big LS engine.  Absolutely fantastic and I wish I had it in my current truck.  I think the new tailgates are silly, and an expensive accident waiting to happen.

I have had a Dodge.  My friends have all had Dodges.  We don't do dodges.  They seem plagued by transmission and ECU issues.  They're okay for a while, but when they stop being okay, they're a money suck of the highest order.  They're probably the prettiest of the bunch, but that isn't why I get a truck.  I do dig some of the things they have done though, like the boxes in the sides of the bed; that's clever and useful.

Tundra.  The Toyotas in general are probably the closes to anvils.  They're designed to be reliable above all else.  Everything in them is mediocre in pursuit of that ultra-reliability.  IMO a truck that's as predictable as the sunrise is kinda sexy.  I can live with a lot of mediocre in pursuit of ultimate reliability.  They've got  an awfully good aftermarket (even at the dealerships) so you can improve some of the mediocrity in ride and comfort but it'll be money on top of an already expensive vehicle.  Reliability is expensive.  Noise is meh.  Road comfort is meh.  Handling is actually pretty good on these, but they won't set land speed records.  You either need to get an old one or a brand new one to make this purchase make sense.  Getting a recent trade will actually cost you more (and right now it seems like Toyota dealers are really trying to unload stock).  I also love all the little smugglers coves in Toyotas.  There's a lot of places to stow things like tie downs, straps, etc. that are useful when you're doing truck/offroad stuff.

So, there you have my opinions.  They're likely worth a little less than you paid for them.  ?

From what I've been able to gather, the new RAM trucks are the best riding and have the best interiors, both in terms of comfort and tech. I've never cared for RAM products in the past, but the new model like the Rebel are darn nice. I'm not alone in my option. RAM is stealing market share from both Ford and Chevy (mostly Chevy) and is the fastest growing, but still not the volume leader. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

You didn't state your reason for needed a crew cab on the first page, and I'm not reading through 8 pages to find it, but a quad cab can easily fit 2 adults and 2 kids with the right car seats.  I did it in my Frontier for awhile, and only went to a 1/2 ton when we had a 3rd kid so there was more room across the back.  When kid 4 was on the way my wife switched to a minivan and we realized we should have done it sooner as they work SOOOOO much better than SUV's for kids of any age and size.  Anyway, sticking with your current '17 seems like the best decision if it's a truck you're happy with, there's going to be YEARS before they're old enough to need the leg room of a crew cab unless you and your wife are both 6' 6".
But between brand new trucks, I'd go with the F150 100%.  The new Chevy is dog ugly and having some teething issues.  The Toyota is, well, dated although it's a solid truck with an engine that's still up there with the rest in the power department, but lags in the efficiency department.  If you're looking at used trucks, the 2016-2018 Silverado/Sierra's are nice and I liked them just as much as the 2015+ Fords, possibly more, when I was test driving them to jump into a crew cab 1/2 ton.
As to bed size, I run into so many people who convince themselves they NEED the 6.5" bed, but very rarely do I ever find someone who actually does, and then it's basically just people who need to tow a travel camper with 2 bikes in the bed with the tailgate shut.  I have yet to run into a situation where 12" more bed length would have made the difference in me being able to haul something or not.  8' sheets of plywood and drywall still fit fine with the tailgate down, and lumber up to 12' is easily do-able.  And with things like firewood I run out of payload before I run out of room.  If the Tundra is your primary choice, just go with it and get a tailgate extender.  You'll likely never notice the 12" shorter bed.

My very first post mentions why I want a crew cab. Family is expanding.