Kendall993

Ranger vs Xtrainer

Ok guys Im getting back into riding after many years off. I am looking for a good entry level bike for single track mainly. No MX, no real high speed stuff like desert riding. I am leaning toward a Beta XT but I recently saw a review of the Ranger and it made me think. Sounds like it has better suspension but thats about it. For slower single track does better suspension make up for all the other benefits the XT has? What do you guys think? 

Thanks

Mike

I don't want to talk you into anything. Though I have a GasGas (even two at the mo), I like Beta's very much. I think they're brilliant. Haven't ridden either one of the models you are considering.

The Ranger has no kicker, which I think isn't good. Barry, the man from down under is probably the biggest Beta fan on earth and he's done hundreds of YT vids and I was very surprised that when he rode the Ranger he said that the suspension of the Ranger was much better out of the box than the suspension of his X-Trainer which was tuned to his liking.... Other than that I think the Beta is the better deal and it is even lower than the Ranger which I think is another good point when playing in the tricky stuff. Another thing to consider is that KTM will most likely not produce Rangers anymore. I have been told that KTM stopped the 2020 production of all GG enduro bikes. But I don't know if that is true, its just hearsay....

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Helpful 1

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't want to talk you into anything. Though I have a GasGas (even two at the mo), I like Beta's very much. I think they're brilliant. Haven't ridden either one of the models you are considering.

The Ranger has no kicker, which I think isn't good. Barry, the man from down under is probably the biggest Beta fan on earth and he's done hundreds of YT vids and I was very surprised that when he rode the Ranger he said that the suspension of the Ranger was much better out of the box than the suspension of his X-Trainer which was tuned to his liking.... Other than that I think the Beta is the better deal and it is even lower than the Ranger which I think is another good point when playing in the tricky stuff. Another thing to consider is that KTM will most likely not produce Rangers anymore. I have been told that KTM stopped the 2020 production of all GG enduro bikes. But I don't know if that is true, its just hearsay....

Thanks Doc!! I appreciate your input. If I had more confidence I would go straight to the 300RR. The XT seems like an awesome first bike and I dont think the suspension will hold me back at my skill level. But at the same time I dont want to spend another couple grand in a year to upgrade the suspension.  I guess I have to pay to play. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kendall993 said:

Thanks Doc!! I appreciate your input. If I had more confidence I would go straight to the 300RR. The XT seems like an awesome first bike and I dont think the suspension will hold me back at my skill level. But at the same time I dont want to spend another couple grand in a year to upgrade the suspension.  I guess I have to pay to play. 

My pleasure Kendall993. From what I have heard the suspension of the X-Trainer is really good enough for its intended use. Most guys buy an X-Trainer but want a low 300RR. But the X-Trainer isn't a RR.

Your skills will get better no doubt but I think it may also be possible to upgrade suspension -in case you feel the need to- with less than half a grand. You can do quite a bit with springs, oil and shims. I see no reason why not to get the X-Trainer.

Let us know once you've made your decision.

• Like 2

OP, if you are buying new & not 100kg onboard, the 2020 XT suspension is fine for your stated purpose. I rode all the Beta 2020’s except the RR250 on Sunday - the XT was my favourite. Smooth as butter suspension & motor. Great handling & strong bottom end & fun but not hectic mid/top. I am 88kg on the bike & own an ‘18 RR300. 

I was talking to Aussie legend Ben Grabham before Wildwood Rock Extreme a few weeks ago & his only complaint about the Ranger was it lacked the bottom end of the XT. He loved the boingers. He also finished top 10 on a stock Ranger. That’s all fine but the bike will probably never be seen again - KTM already have the Freeride platform & that is going electric. 

If Gas Gas still owned itself, I would probably get a Ranger next bike. You may not care about the corporate side of things, though!

Edited by KatoKonvert
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My pleasure Kendall993. From what I have heard the suspension of the X-Trainer is really good enough for its intended use. Most guys buy an X-Trainer but want a low 300RR. But the X-Trainer isn't a RR.

Your skills will get better no doubt but I think it may also be possible to upgrade suspension -in case you feel the need to- with less than half a grand. You can do quite a bit with springs, oil and shims. I see no reason why not to get the X-Trainer.

Let us know once you've made your decision.

I will post pics when I take delivery. In the next few weeks after I sort out so work stuff Ill be going to my local dealer, Franks, and getting one ordered with the propper springs for my weight. Im also getting one for my GF which will be lowered 2 inches. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KatoKonvert said:

OP, if you are buying new & not 100kg onboard, the 2020 XT suspension is fine for your stated purpose. I rode all the Beta 2020’s except the RR250 on Sunday - the XT was my favourite. Smooth as butter suspension & motor. Great handling & strong bottom end & fun but not hectic mid/top. I am 88kg on the bike & own an ‘18 RR300. 

I was talking to Aussie legend Ben Grabham before Wildwood Rock Extreme a few weeks ago & his only complaint about the Ranger was it lacked the bottom end of the XT. He loved the boingers. He also finished top 10 on a stock Ranger. That’s all fine but the bike will probably never be seen again - KTM already have the Freeride platform & that is going electric. 

If Gas Gas still owned itself, I would probably get a Ranger next bike. You may not care about the corporate side of things, though!

Thank you for your insight! I hope GG keeps it identity but I doubt it will. Typically the small company looses that after a takeover. 

I’d go for a beta. I’m biased because I have one - but I looked at gas gas quite a bit before making my decision (and that was before this buyout). I see a lot of the guys in the beta forums upgrading the suspension down the road (whether it’s a stock suspension tune or new forks and shocks - you can go as far as you want). I have yet to see someone say they were disappointed getting a x-trainer though. Hell, pick up some new triple clamps and used KYB SSS forks from a YZ and you have and awesome bike.

Or, do what I did and go with the 300 RR and don’t look back. It’s an amazing machine.

I have a Xtrainer I was considering the Ranger until the take over, but at this point I would be concerned about parts supply. Based on Barry’s review I think the Ranger is a bit more versatile, especially if not inseam challenged. I thought the Ranger looked a bit bland but the 2020 Xtrainer is awfully bold in a bad way.

Just now, epicride said:

I have a Xtrainer I was considering the Ranger until the take over, but at this point I would be concerned about parts supply. Based on Barry’s review I think the Ranger is a bit more versatile, especially if not inseam challenged. I thought the Ranger looked a bit bland but the 2020 Xtrainer is awfully bold in a bad way.

To each their own - I like the new bold blue of the 2020 X-trainer and the 250/300 RE. I've seen a lot of people say it's too much, though. Plastics and graphics are easy and cheap enough to change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, epicride said:

I have not seen the new color in person but based in the pics I really like it. But I am also more into flash than most. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, botast said:

I’d go for a beta. I’m biased because I have one - but I looked at gas gas quite a bit before making my decision (and that was before this buyout). I see a lot of the guys in the beta forums upgrading the suspension down the road (whether it’s a stock suspension tune or new forks and shocks - you can go as far as you want). I have yet to see someone say they were disappointed getting a x-trainer though. Hell, pick up some new triple clamps and used KYB SSS forks from a YZ and you have and awesome bike.

Or, do what I did and go with the 300 RR and don’t look back. It’s an amazing machine.

I have thought a lot about going straight to the 300rr. I rode a buddies KTM 300 XCW and it was way too much bike for me. Im assuming the RR will be similar. 

I have thought a lot about going straight to the 300rr. I rode a buddies KTM 300 XCW and it was way too much bike for me. Im assuming the RR will be similar. 

Yea, pretty similar. Though, the beta does have shorter stature and the betas tag line, “rideability” seems to be true.

On 11/28/2019 at 5:50 AM, botast said:

Yea, pretty similar. Though, the beta does have shorter stature and the betas tag line, “rideability” seems to be true.

Seat height is part of it but at 6'1" that isnt my main concern,  its more about power delivery. Betas, from what Ive read and seen in videos, have much smoother linear delivery. More like. 4T which is most important.  My buddies KTM was pretty crazy on the pipe. 

3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Have any Rangers even arrived in USA? Or Kendall where are you located? Are there any Rangers available where you are? With whatever bike you buy you might want to check so the bike has a kick starter also. 

I have no idea. Im in the Seattle area and honestly dont even know who the local GasGas dealer is. Frank's Motorbikes is the local Beta/Shirco dealer and is very helpful. The only reason I even raised this topic is because on the Beta board many people complain about the XTs suspension and the reviews Ive seen on the Ranger basically all say the suspension is great. I am looking for a nice, lightweight,  easy to ride trail bike for my first bike as an adult. At this point I think the XT is the front runner, second is the 4t Shirco 300 SEF-R (I may have messed up the model) and 3rd is a Beta 300rr. The GasGas worries me after the KTM takeover. 

I appreciate everyone's input. 

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kendall993 said:

I have no idea. Im in the Seattle area and honestly dont even know who the local GasGas dealer is. Frank's Motorbikes is the local Beta/Shirco dealer and is very helpful. The only reason I even raised this topic is because on the Beta board many people complain about the XTs suspension and the reviews Ive seen on the Ranger basically all say the suspension is great. I am looking for a nice, lightweight,  easy to ride trail bike for my first bike as an adult. At this point I think the XT is the front runner, second is the 4t Shirco 300 SEF-R (I may have messed up the model) and 3rd is a Beta 300rr. The GasGas worries me after the KTM takeover. 

I appreciate everyone's input. 

Mike

Well from what I know so far there aren’t any Rangers coming . I keep looking for info and the last nail in the coffin seems to be Ktm will make red ktm’s. Im sure the Rangers ought to be good. It’s just that none have come to the US from what I can tell.  Xtrainers are good and 2 stroke 200,250 and 300 rrs are good too. Interesting to me is that Rangers are the same height as 250 and 300 rr’s. I was thinking it would be more Xtrainer height. If you plan on going fast and having a more versatile bike the 200, 250, 300 rr are it. If you plan on more technical riding and more tight woods riding and not as much wide open faster riding then the X-Trainer is for you. Because the xtrainer and the 300 rr mostly have the same motor there are some crossover parts guys exchange between both bikes. Some X-Trainer guys put rr pipes on and some rr riders put the Xtrainer pipes on for example. Really to me no one should grumble about going fast on an Xtrainer . It’s not designed for higher speed riding.  If you want to go faster get an rr. Im sure Franks will fill you in. 
Lots like Sherco. Good bikes but they do not have the option of having a kickstarter. Beta doesn’t come with a kickstarter anymore but you can buy a kickstarter kit to add on. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider