Drw814

Who rides through the winter?

It’s that time of year again, everyone is starting threads about winterizing bikes, and people are putting their gear away for the winter months. This has got me wondering, how many people ride year round? I live in CT, and if I were to put my bikes away for the “cold months” they’d be in storage for 6 months of the year.

That being said, I ride year round, from 100* and sunny, to 15* in a snow storm. I would never want to box up my bikes for 1/2 the year just because it’s cold out. Who else rides year round? And if you’re one of the seasonal riders, why won’t you ride in some hot and/or chilly weather? 

• Like 1

Lucky here in most of the Pacific Northwest in that we can ride all winter in woods and desert all year 'round.  Super rare to get too much snow to do so and temperature is rarely an issue.  We have to "suffer" where low humidity 90 is hot and 25 is cold LOL

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Lucky here in most of the Pacific Northwest in that we can ride all winter in woods and desert all year 'round.  Super rare to get too much snow to do so and temperature is rarely an issue. 

Joe

I grew up in Portland. Winter riding was awesome! No dust, a lot fewer people on the trails and slippin & slidin' is fun! Good waterproof gear and you're good!

• Like 5

Depends on the year.  2 years ago we had a mild winter and rode pretty much all winter.  Last winter was pretty brutal, bikes were parked for months.  This winter is starting out even worse, so who knows.  The problem is when the snow melts it turns the clay into grease.  Not mud...grease.  Even mud guys hate it.  And it can be spooky, the wet clay doesn't look much different than the wet sand when you are riding, and if you hit a patch of wet clay then it can be an instant wreck.

• Like 1

Here is SoCal, it’s riding all year.  We look forward to winter riding, as there will be some moisture in the ground.

• Like 2

Here in Portugal, the proper riding season only starts when the first rain arrives, but we can ride all year.

I don't know what "winterize" means.. At most, my winterize is to wear another piece of clothes 😂😂

Edited by JMPalma
  • Like 8

I am a fair weather rider.  Fortunately here in Southern California 300+ days a year are what I consider fair weather.  Right now it is rain through Thangsgiving but the weekend is not looking too bad.  Being currently unemployed helps too.  I think I have ridden more in the last 3 months than I have all last year.

• Like 2

We ride all year in GA, just depends on the day. Can be 70 or in the single digits November through March on any given day. 

Winter riding off road is fun.  Not so much on road, especially during holidays with all the stress and texting about the hottest new sale... lol

Off road I try to pick trails that won't be damaged by riding on them in the mud/snow.  When the snow is melting/thin it is easy to tear up the trail underneath. 

1st pic, last winter.

2nd pic first snow this year.

Happy trails! :cheers:

Frozen-Stream-11-18.jpg

Woodland-11-16-19.jpg

• Like 2

I just threw my studded tires on yesterday. 😁

Unfortunately, it is too cold this week for my poor circulation to keep my extremities warm. Supposed to warm up nicely this weekend though!

• Like 1

We tough it out all year long down here in cold South Carolina! We've had snow as early as Nov 3rd but also saw 70 degree weather in January. 

No reason to quit riding!

• Like 1

I used to be a year round rider here in the Texas panhandle, but I've gotten older (old) and less committed.  I only ride in the winter if it's dry, we're having a warm spell, or I absolutely have to (determined by significant other's attitude/temperament at the time).  I've got 3 four wheel drive vehicles that I can use to play in the snow or offroad when it's too cold for the DR.

Some of us ride year round here in Eastern PA.  As a rule I won't ride if it's been below 32 for an extended period: we have a lot of water and ice is dangerous!  Generally our season is March to early Dec with a few warm days Dec-Feb.  Most of us don't winterize our bikes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gflo said:

Here is SoCal, it’s riding all year.  We look forward to winter riding, as there will be some moisture in the ground.

Same here in Victoria, Australia. We actually don't ride in summer. Too much chance of a bush fire, too hot, and too dusty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Will Stutzman said:

Yep, Florida riding is all year haha. Around here we only have 2 seasons, hot and hotter

Edit:  Hot and Humid, and Hotter and Humiderer.

LoCal, where I used to live, was an easy 360 day a year riding environment.  The 5 rainy days weren't a bother.