Hey guys im in a pickle. So i little info first. I am 14 5'9'' 125lbs and have former trials experience. I have been riding dirt bikes since i was five and always loved it but rode timid Honda crfs until about 4 years ago when i bought a 250 trials bike and rode that up to this year were i sold it in hopes of getting my first 2 stroke enduro bike. I am currently riding a little crf150f just for the time being until i get a new bike. I ride mostly tight single track with some very large hill climes and an enduroX track. Soooo.... I have been looking at a ktm 150xcw for quite sometime but it was a few weeks ago when i was told to get a 200xcw around the 2012 era because it would have more grunt and would lift the front easier over large logs and concrete barriers. But i really dont know what to do. You see 200s are quite rare up here in Alberta Canada and if they do show up they are usually beat to crap which is why i have liked the 150 because we have lots here like this one     https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/edmonton/2017-ktm-xcw-for-sale/1474480403 remember its in Canadian dollars. So i guess what i would like to know is what would be better? Just to get something like this 150xcw or wait and see if i can find a decent 200xcw. Also what would work better for the type of riding i do? And what are some of the problems the 2017 era 150s have and what problems do the 200xcws have? Also power wise how would the 200xcw compare to the 150xcw? And would the 2017 150xcw have enough grunt and snap to do the type of riding i do?

Any information would be highly appreciated. 

Caleb, I've seen the many discussions you've started as to 'what's best between comparable X and Y enduro bikes'.

By memory you're coming of a TTR230, any of the performance oriented bikes you've mentioned will be a big step up in performance.

What a bike can achieve in clearing obstacles is way more related to the rider's skill than the bike's features.

150 vs 200 would be rider preference (are you more of a lugger or revver) which can only be determined after you've gotten some seat time on a 2-stroke.

Keep in mind your needs/preferences can also change over time, discovering new trails and riding environments. 

A bike that would suit your current needs may not still be the 'perfect' bike for you a few years from now.

Buy the newest, best condition bike you can afford within the type you've settled on (150-200cc enduros), ride it and enjoy.

A few years ago a newbie forum member stretched out a 'which bike should I buy' discussion for almost a year without ever buying one,

valuable riding time wasted trying to figure what's 'best' without actually riding anything.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Caleb, I've seen the many discussions you've started as to 'what's best between comparable X and Y enduro bikes'.

By memory you're coming of a TTR230, any of the performance oriented bikes you've mentioned will be a big step up in performance.

What a bike can achieve in clearing obstacles is way more related to the rider's skill than the bike's features.

150 vs 200 would be rider preference (are you more of a lugger or revver) which can only be determined after you've gotten some seat time on a 2-stroke.

Keep in mind your needs/preferences can also change over time, discovering new trails and riding environments. 

A bike that would suit your current needs may not still be the 'perfect' bike for you a few years from now.

Buy the newest, best condition bike you can afford within the type you've settled on (150-200cc enduros), ride it and enjoy.

A few years ago a newbie forum member stretched out a 'which bike should I buy' discussion for almost a year without ever buying one,

valuable riding time wasted trying to figure what's 'best' without actually riding anything.

I have had some seat time on a yz 125 and a yz 85 and they are the reason i want an 2stroke because they were soo much fun to ride and i loved every second of it but i would have to rev the nuts off them to do anything and in the terrain i ride its very tight and technical. So im worried that if i got the 150xcw i would not have enough low end power to do the crap we do because alot of the hills we ride have very little to no area for a run up so i dont know if the 150xcw would pull and have enough to do it. But after reading your comment i think i will just have to buy it and ride it until its time for an upgrade since it will be my first real 2 stroke that i will have owned.

Thank you for your response and happy trails :ride:  

• Like 2

As with any smallish 2-stroke, clutching and riding skill makes up for the lack of low end (and actually forces you to be a better rider)

While they remain small bore rev happy 2-strokes and it's only a 25cc difference, 150 enduro bikes will not have the same behavior as a YZ125 MX race bike.

The enduro bike's engine characteristics (porting, ignition, pipe etc.) favoring more low-to mid

with no doubt a heavier flywheel and a lower 1st gear ratio as well will make them better suited for the usage than an motocross race bike.

It all comes down to rider preference, while I'm an old school 2-stroke guy at heart

myself generally prefer a 4-stroke for trail/off-roading but often a lighter / more nimble 2-stroke would be very much appreciated.

Edited by mlatour

I don't think there will be a gigantic difference in torque between the 150 and 200's.  You should buy the nicest/newest bike you can find and then ride it.

Places like McLean Creek are difficult regardless of what bike you own.  The riding here is very technically driven with certain specific skills required.  Learn and practice logs over and over and over again and then continue to practice them some more.  Technique and skills are way more important than what bike you have.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

I don't think there will be a gigantic difference in torque between the 150 and 200's.  You should buy the nicest/newest bike you can find and then ride it.

Places like McLean Creek are difficult regardless of what bike you own.  The riding here is very technically driven with certain specific skills required.  Learn and practice logs over and over and over again and then continue to practice them some more.  Technique and skills are way more important than what bike you have.

Yes i understand that skill is way better than any bike but i just want to make sure i am buying and spending 6k on a bike that will be worth it. And from what im hearing it will be well spent:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

As with any smallish 2-stroke, clutching and riding skill makes up for the lack of low end (and actually forces you to be a better rider)

While they remain small bore rev happy 2-strokes and it's only a 25cc difference, 150 enduro bikes will not have the same behavior as a YZ125 MX race bike.

The enduro bike's engine characteristics (porting, ignition, pipe etc.) favoring more low-to mid

with no doubt a heavier flywheel and a lower 1st gear ratio as well will make them better suited for the usage than an motocross race bike.

It all comes down to rider preference, while I'm an old school 2-stroke guy at heart

myself generally prefer a 4-stroke for trail/off-roading but often a lighter / more nimble 2-stroke would be very much appreciated.

Mhhmm i just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be like the mx bike and have a lot more grunt but i think that this 6k decision will be well spent. This is the bike i might be going to see this weekend   https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/edmonton/2017-ktm-xcw-for-sale/1474480403?undefined  

Thank you all for your help:D

5 hours ago, shrubitup said:

150 has plenty of power for anyone less than 200 pounds. 

5 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

5 hours ago, mlatour said:

found this bike in my area what do you guys think and do you guys know of any problems with this year of bike? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/calgary/2005-200-ktm-exc/1461732560 

Look at the Beta 200RR.  More low end grunt than the 150xcw and it can open up in the wider trails.  Plenty of videos on YouTube about the 200RR.  Beta has a BYOB “Build Your Own Bike” program and you can order one lowered a bit which may be better for you on uneven trails only being 5’9”.  Beta will even give you the parts to raise the bike when you are able to handle a full size bike.

On 11/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, crazy caleb said:

Yes i understand that skill is way better than any bike but i just want to make sure i am buying and spending 6k on a bike that will be worth it. And from what im hearing it will be well spent:thumbsup:

Mhhmm i just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be like the mx bike and have a lot more grunt but i think that this 6k decision will be well spent. This is the bike i might be going to see this weekend   https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/edmonton/2017-ktm-xcw-for-sale/1474480403?undefined  

Thank you all for your help:D

How many hours and miles are on the 2017?  XC-Ws had hour meters and odometers so this information should be available.  That price is about $4700 USD.  KBB says that bike is $5400 retail $3700 trade in.  If I found that bike here in Colorado and it had 50 hours or less and I could get a price of $4500 --- i would snatch it up in a heartbeat.  2016 was last year of the 200 XC-W.  While the extra 50 ccs are nice, I agree with many of the posters above that say to go for the best price/year/condition model you can find in the 150-200 cc 2 stroke variety.

If you want to get a 200 XC-W I would focus on 2011-2016 models.

Edited by SilvFx

Hopefully, the owner of the 150xcw  will let you test ride it in an area where you can determine it's capabilities. I believe you won't be disappointed. 

Being a trials rider, you're going to hate how the early pre '07 KTMs feel. I know I do. Pegs too far forward, bars too high and far back. The newer ones fit a lot better.

17 minutes ago, nobade said:

Being a trials rider, you're going to hate how the early pre '07 KTMs feel. I know I do. Pegs too far forward, bars too high and far back. The newer ones fit a lot better.

Ok I am currently looking at a 2017 ktm 150xcw but a guy just contacted me saying he has a 2016 200xcw for sale so my biggest concern is that the 200xcw will be so heavy that I just won’t enjoy it. And that the 150xcw would work better because it’s lighter so what do you guys think? I am coming off a crf150f so would the 200 weigh the same as it?

2 hours ago, SilvFx said:

How many hours and miles are on the 2017?  XC-Ws had hour meters and odometers so this information should be available.  That price is about $4700 USD.  KBB says that bike is $5400 retail $3700 trade in.  If I found that bike here in Colorado and it had 50 hours or less and I could get a price of $4500 --- i would snatch it up in a heartbeat.  2016 was last year of the 200 XC-W.  While the extra 50 ccs are nice, I agree with many of the posters above that say to go for the best price/year/condition model you can find in the 150-200 cc 2 stroke variety.

If you want to get a 200 XC-W I would focus on 2011-2016 models.

Ok what would be a good price for a 2016 200xcw ?

55 minutes ago, crazy caleb said:

Ok I am currently looking at a 2017 ktm 150xcw but a guy just contacted me saying he has a 2016 200xcw for sale so my biggest concern is that the 200xcw will be so heavy that I just won’t enjoy it. And that the 150xcw would work better because it’s lighter so what do you guys think? I am coming off a crf150f so would the 200 weigh the same as it?

Ok what would be a good price for a 2016 200xcw ?

not sure how applicable for Canada, but here in the US you can use www.kbb.com/motorcycles and www.nadaguides.com/motorcycles for ascertaining values.  And of course comparables on your Craigslist equivalent.

No doubt similar to the USA, looking up used bike ads I find there is a lot of regional variance in Canada.

Taking example say on an early 2000 YZ125, a 'realistically' priced 2300$ CAD bike in the Montreal region

would be advertised at 3000+ CAD in the greater Toronto area. (375 miles away).

My local Kawasaki/BRP Ski-doo dealership (Hawkesbury Ont.) gets business from Toronto region buyers all the time,

theirs won't budge off MSRP and local used machines overpriced so well worth the drive for many to save.

Edited by mlatour

I test rode a 2020 Husqvarna 150TPI yesterday. Surprisingly it will lug very slowly up hills without stalling, no jetting required, very quiet, lightweight, electric start and kickstart installed. It’s new and will be supported into the near future.  Take a look.

By memory the OP is working with a 6000$ CAD budget, converts to about 4500$ USD.

Edited by mlatour

You should wait, I am in Alberta too and unless you are planning on studding your tires the season is over.  You have a good 3 months to shop.  The right bike will show up, which is advice that is easier to give than to follow...