mossman77

Looking for a 4-stroke KTM Trail Bike

I believe the XCF-W was discontinued in 2017?

Didn’t know that. Why would they ever discontinue the xcf-w? I know they have exc’s which are the same thing, but aren’t all exc street legal?

There is nothing wrong with the XC-F, but it's the racier version (motocross motor and gearbox).  For non racing off-road, I personally would look for the W version (or exc version).  The 350 would have more bottom end than a 250.  Is there anywhere around that you can take one for a spin?  Any places that rent, or dealers that will demo, buddies who have one, etc?  

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

if you want a trail bike get a 300xcw but if you spend your $$$ on a 250 or 350 exc then you will want more bike eventually. get a 500 we don't need kickstarters anymore when a small lipo battery can start our bikes

He rarely gets out of 3rd gear on his current 250, getting a 500 would be more than a little overkill.  And might not be as much fun.  

• Like 1

The 350 exc-f feels like riding a mountain bike. Not a LOT of bottom power but it'll stretch your arms when the revs get up there. The wife's 350 easily outruns my healthy DRZ. But I like the bottom power of the DRZ.

11 hours ago, mossman77 said:

I found a 2019 350 XC-F on sale for $7,999, which seems too good to pass up.  How much more power will it have than my 250X?  Honestly, the 250X has plenty of power for me, so going to a 350 makes me a little nervous.  Is the 350 better for lugging around in 1st and 2nd through the slow stuff? 

I have a 2019 350 XC-F. It has plenty of power and I've ridden 450s only for the most part. I've never ridden a 250X, but I suspect it has more power everywhere. I never feel like I'm short on go and I ride in power robbing sand. It has a switchable map and I spend most of the time in the somewhat mellower 1st map. Map 2 has sharper throttle response and is noticeable. My riding buddy is on a 2019 YZ450F and in the woods I have no issues keeping pace, even if he's probably pull me in a drag with more bottom end power. I like how the 350 has enough down low with being a beast and the mid range on up is in 450 territory from just a few years ago. Fun motor with a light, flickable chassis to match.

No, the 350 XC-F isn't great at lugging around in 1st and 2nd. Not saying it won't, but it really does feel best when you're revving it, rowing the gears and riding on the somewhat aggressive side. It's a cross country race bike vs. a mellow playbike. Maybe a Rekluse would improve the luggability?

Just made a down payment on a 2019 250 XC-F.  Deal was too good to pass up.  Pick it up next weekend :)

Not a big fan of the orange, so I ordered a full black plastics and will eventually dress it up with a decal kit.  Does KTM make a black handguard or only orange?  I found a black aftermarket kit on KTM-Parts.com, but would rather get OEM if it exists.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 9:26 PM, sirthumpalot said:

Congrats and enjoy the bike!  We'll try not to judge you for the black plastic.  :D 

Haha, thanks.  I'll be putting a decal kit on it.  Going for this look...

KTMXCF.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 1:05 PM, jrodicus100 said:

+1 on the ‘17 or newer 350 XC-F. You can add a kickstarter, but they don’t come with one.
The EXC-F has some changes that make it a better trail bike (heavier crank, extra clutch plate, stronger alternator & battery), but you have to deal with the street legal equipment and smog stuff to get them to their full potential (and a few extra pounds).

For the average guy who isnt racing the EXC is all you need.

And opens up riding opportunities that dont exist with a dirt only bike.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:16 PM, mossman77 said:

Just made a down payment on a 2019 250 XC-F.  Deal was too good to pass up.  Pick it up next weekend :)

Not a big fan of the orange, so I ordered a full black plastics and will eventually dress it up with a decal kit.  Does KTM make a black handguard or only orange?  I found a black aftermarket kit on KTM-Parts.com, but would rather get OEM if it exists.

Orange wouldn't be my first choice of a color either, and the newer bikes have way too much orange on them.

I like the black scheme that you're going for!  Looks good!

Congrats on the new bike, and most importantly, have fun with it!

• Like 1