New (to me) Xtrainer 300, what ratio to premix oil?

The general consensus is to pick a ratio, and use it until the piston burns up because it's under-oiled , or spooges too much over-oiled. Adjust accordingly. I have no horse in this race. I still run with the OI. A lot depends on how you ride, either fast high rpm high load or slow putt putt plonkerism. 

6 minutes ago, ToolmanJohn said:

The general consensus is to pick a ratio, and use it until the piston burns up because it's under-oiled , or spooges too much over-oiled. Adjust accordingly. I have no horse in this race. I still run with the OI. A lot depends on how you ride, either fast high rpm high load or slow putt putt plonkerism. 

Im much more on the plot plot side, 

If opinions are as varied as Mathew mentions above your comment  I will just go with whatever the bottle of oil i buy says, and then proceed with what you suggested.

Thanks guys

1 hour ago, Dangolish said:

oh no.....

So theres no official beta guideline for this ? I looked on the manual and found nothing. Whatever is standard will do lol

The Xtrainer has always come from the factory with oil injection (OI) so Beta has never offered an "official" premix ratio recommendation for this particular bike.

But it's basically the same Beta 300 two-stroke engine that was offered before OI was introduced to the RR300 in 2016, and is still in the non-OI RR300 Race Edition bikes today.  For those applications Beta recommends 60:1  with Motul 800 in the owner's manuals.  

But just like most any other 2T dirt bike, different people run different combos of oil and gas to suit their own needs, riding styles, personal preference, and experience etc.  

The Xtrainer has always come from the factory with oil injection (OI) so Beta has never offered an "official" premix ratio recommendation for this particular bike.
But it's basically the same Beta 300 two-stroke engine that was offered before OI was introduced to the RR300 in 2016, and is still in the non-OI RR300 Race Edition bikes today.  For those applications Beta recommends 60:1  with Motul 800 in the owner's manuals.  
But just like most any other 2T dirt bike, different people run different combos of oil and gas to suit their own needs, riding styles, personal preference, and experience etc.  

Hey man thanks for the info. The previous owner told me he ran 60:1 and from what I had read and opinions here, I was thinking he was crazy/ what have I bought. Good to know 60:1 is what beta recommends.

Since it’s basically the same engine, I’ll start off with this ratio.

Thanks !
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dangolish said:

oh no.....

So theres no official beta guideline for this ? I looked on the manual and found nothing. Whatever is standard will do lol

my comment was because any oil thread typically goes off the rails in a big way. To be safe, I think you want to go by the recommended ratio of the oil manufacturer. 

You'll see people using a wide variety of oils anywhere from 32:1 to 60:1 on average.

We have a 300RR and an XTrainer. I will deleting the injection before next season, and will most likely use Amsoil 40:1 or thereabouts.

Edited by Hammy-56
  • Like 1

my comment was because any oil thread typically goes off the rails in a big way. To be safe, I think you want to go by the recommended ratio of the oil manufacturer. 
You'll see people using a wide variety of oils anywhere from 32:1 to 60:1 on average.
We have a 300RR and an XTrainer. I will deleting the injection before next season, and will most likely use Amsoil 40:1 or thereabouts.

Why are you removing the injector?

Are you getting a Lectron ?

4 minutes ago, Dangolish said:

Why are you removing the injector?

Are you getting a Lectron ?

Im on the fence about it honestly, but will most likely remove it. Ours have been working fine, but after hearing about some pumps not working correctly from someone I know and ride with, I'll probably just eliminate any possibility of failure.

Personally, I have no interest in a lectron. These Keihins are good carbs. Why do you ask?

Edited by Hammy-56

Im on the fence about it honestly, but will most likely remove it. Ours have been working fine, but after hearing about some pumps not working correctly from someone I know and ride with, I'll probably just eliminate any possibility of failure.
Personally, I have no interest in a lectron. These Keihins are good carbs. Why do you ask?

Just wandering, I was originally upset that the previous owner had removed the oil injection as it seemed like one of the
Ore attractive issues, however I recently found out it has to be removed to use a Lectron, so that seemed like a reason to leave it off.

11 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Amsoil 32:1 and good jetting did this: 

Not sure if you're being serious, funny, or sarcastic... but I'm not buying it either way.  Assuming that the piston failure was premature, whatever happened to that poor piston wasn't the result of good oil, good premix ratio, and good jetting.

Mine still looked near-new after 140 hours.  For the first 100 hours I ran AMSOIL Dominator at 40:1 and then switched to AMSOIL Interceptor at 50:1.  I've got 100+ hours on the replacement piston, still running Interceptor at 50:1, and compression is still great.

piston10.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwguy said:

whatever happened to that poor piston wasn't the result of good oil, good premix ratio, and good jetting

Then what caused it? Never had any motor failure until Amsoil. Interceptor used on a kx100 revved high 50% of the day. Most 250/300 rev high maybe 5% of day that’s why we don’t see frequent failure. Interceptor great for all but small bores IMO. 

25 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Then what caused it? Never had any motor failure until Amsoil. Interceptor used on a kx100 revved high 50% of the day. Most 250/300 rev high maybe 5% of day that’s why we don’t see frequent failure. Interceptor great for all but small bores IMO. 

Hard to believe it was just the Amsoil...lots of people using it with no issues. 

There are a lot of quality oils out there, and Amsoil is one of them.

• Like 1

Just now, shrubitup said:

Only tried to show a limitation I found. 

That fair. 

But for me- the reality is, if you're mixing oil at 32:1 I honestly think theres plenty of lubrication, regardless of the choice of oil. So Im very hesitant to think the oil alone was to blame. Especially when the pics show a fairly dramatic seizure. Just doesn't look like a "poor lubrication" situation to me.