New (to me) Xtrainer 300, what ratio to premix oil?

5 minutes ago, Hammy-56 said:

That fair. 

But for me- the reality is, if you're mixing oil at 32:1 I honestly think theres plenty of lubrication, regardless of the choice of oil. So Im very hesitant to think the oil alone was to blame. Especially when the pics show a fairly dramatic seizure. Just doesn't look like a "poor lubrication" situation to me.

The thin viscosity doesn’t help. Again, fine for lower revving motors. Actually, my input not even applicable to this thread as the x-trainer will never see 11,500 rpm. 

4 hours ago, Hammy-56 said:

There are a lot of quality oils out there, and Amsoil is one of them.

You can buy better but you can't pay more. :D

3 hours ago, Hammy-56 said:

You can go to the MSDS sections of a LOT of the oil manufacturer's and find that the data on that sheet doesn't match.

Edited by Beta300recat
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

He is serious as a heart attack.

How's that? :ph34r:

I expected as much, but he didn't say.

AMSOIL Interceptor is popular among the high-performance snowmobile racing and trail community, including locally here in Idaho, where they wring out 150+ HP at 7000+ RPM all season long.  FWIW though, AMSOIL is pretty clear that they recommend Dominator for high-heat high-RPM high-performance racing applications.

32 minutes ago, wwguy said:

AMSOIL Interceptor is popular among the high-performance snowmobile racing and trail community, including locally here in Idaho, where they wring out 150+ HP at 7000+ RPM all season long.  FWIW though, AMSOIL is pretty clear that they recommend Dominator for high-heat high-RPM high-performance racing applications.

No racing. open throttle 50% of the ride with 12/54 gearing piloted by a 14 year old 5’4” 130 pound kid. Trail riding only following his dad. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, wwguy said:

So you're not going to believe him because Amway Oil is the best ever?

2 hours ago, Beta300recat said:

So you're not going to believe him because Amway Oil is the best ever?

No. That would be silly. There are plenty of other great 2T oils available for dirt bike applications.  My reasons for initially choosing AMSOIL for my bike were because it was readily available near me and it was suggested to me by other riders with more experience than me.  All are respected local racers and/or shop owners who wring out their moto toys a lot harder and longer than I do.

I'm willing to believe shrub if presented with a logical technical explanation supported by credible evidence. But all that's been presented so far has been a photo of a damaged piston accompanied by an unsubstantiated claim that "AMSOIL did this..."

He hasn't offered a clear technical explanation that points to the oil failure as the culprit and there's no apparent historical pattern of others reporting the same problem with the same oil for the same reason.  Along with thousands of other riders, I've been using the same oil for hundreds of hours with great results as shown in the photos I shared, so why exactly should I believe that the oil was to blame? 

• Like 2