WALKINGWOUNDED

Truck/Toyhauler Towing Questions

I have an 05 Tundra, 4dr, 2WD, 4.7 V8 Automatic O.D.  With information at hand, best I can tell its towing capacity is 7100 lbs.  I'm looking at a 2017 Coleman Latern 300 TQ Toyhauler.  It's dry weight is 6800 lbs.  I would usually have my race bike, pit-bike, generator, tool box, coffee machine, extra socks and various camping amenities, that would easily put me over the 7100 rating.  I'm sure if I latched onto it, it would go down the road, but my gut says it would be an 'overdrive off and drop a gear adventure'.  Initially I was trying to keep the trailer weight around 5000 lbs range, but this trailer came along and is virtually new, and a great price.  Should I buy this beast, or avoid buyers remorse and move on?

Put some airbags or helper springs on the truck and or use a weight distribution hitch. Also get some load range e tires. As long as you aren't in a mountainous area it should do fine. I towed some pretty heavy stuff with my 05 tundra and was pretty impressed with the way it handled it.

3 minutes ago, pomoco said:

Put some airbags or helper springs on the truck and or use a weight distribution hitch. Also get some load range e tires. As long as you aren't in a mountainous area it should do fine. I towed some pretty heavy stuff with my 05 tundra and was pretty impressed with the way it handled it.

It's flat in S.E. Tx until you start getting near Austin and San Antonio area, which my series carries us over there.  My truck does set butt high, but with 1000 lbs tongue weight, it will probably sag.  I thought about some air bags if it needed to be raise.  Tires for the truck was another question I was going to ask.  It has passenger tires at this time, but figured would have to move up the load range for stability.  When you say "weight distribution hitch", is that those 2 bars that go from the trailer to the hitch with the locking bolts I see guys using a long bar to tight them?

Oh, the specs on that trailer says 1000 lbs tongue weight.  Does that mean it has a 1000 lbs of tongue weight, or it can handle up to a 1000 lbs of weight?  I think my Tundra is rated for 750 lbs of tongue weight.

If your truck is rated for 7100 lbs, that trailer is too big. Get a smaller trailer or bigger truck. As a general rule of thumb, I don’t like to tow more than 75% of my trucks rated capacity. Brakes, frame, suspension, transmission, engine... if you don’t know what the limiting factor in the rating is, just throwing parts like air bags at it is not a solution.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Air bags do not increase towing capacity, nor help stopping.
To much weight is always going to be to much. Payload capacity is another number. Dry weight is easily 1000lb under actual ready to camp weight.
"What if "
It's flat, over drive off add air bags, springs, tires, load light, load equalizer. Still to much.
"What if", unable to stop in time you are in a collision. It's not an accident, you knew you were pulling to much. Insurance company, laws will be against you.
If the TT is such a deal, get it. Then, get a truck that's rated for it. With a true tow package. Tow mirrors, brake controller, and load range E tires, and hitch receiver.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Would the truck do it? Yes. Would you be white knuckled nearly the entire trip? Also yes. I wouldn’t take the chance. That’s a tail wagging the dog scenario. If you’re going to do it (I don’t recommend it) at the minimum you’d need air bags, a weight distribution hitch, stronger tires, a secondary transmission cooler, a trailer brake controller, and a rear sway bar. Those things would definitely make the experience more enjoyable, but my ultimate suggestion, as already stated, is to buy a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. The last thing you want is to find yourself in a situation where you, others, and your rig and gear are in danger. Better to be safe than sorry

It's flat in S.E. Tx until you start getting near Austin and San Antonio area, which my series carries us over there.  My truck does set butt high, but with 1000 lbs tongue weight, it will probably sag.  I thought about some air bags if it needed to be raise.  Tires for the truck was another question I was going to ask.  It has passenger tires at this time, but figured would have to move up the load range for stability.  When you say "weight distribution hitch", is that those 2 bars that go from the trailer to the hitch with the locking bolts I see guys using a long bar to tight them?
The weight distribution hitch spreads the weight out over all over all of the axles so you don't end up with too much weight on the truck rear axle. Some people use them even on big trucks. Half of the trucks you see on the road are past their weight limit. They are able to get away with it by dot standards which are not based manufacturers ratings, but based on number of axles. Hot shot drivers will take an 05 dodge rated at 15,000 pound towing and haul 30,000 pounds with it, unbelievable that the trucks can do it, I have no idea how they stop. See if you can find a heavy trailer to see how your truck does under heavy load.

I need to point out that a load equalizer, doesn't always include sway control. Some come as combos some are 2 separate items. If you want both make sure you get both.

You can't look at the dry weight. By the time you put in the camping gear, food, clothing, batteries, propane, cookware and a little water in the tank you will be up close to 8k. Look at the gvwr I bet it's 9k. You might be able to tow a 7k boat with that truck but not a 7k camper because of the windage pushing it around.

• Like 1

After much consideration, the amount of mods that it would require to make it falsely towable, is all the gut warning I need.  One item mentioned above that I did not think of, is insurance possibly not paying during the event of a crash if you're over your tow rating.  Or they may not even insurance it at all.  I enjoy white knuckle adventures, preferably not on the highways and byways. 

We've never owned a camper of any kind, so were in the 'take our time and look around ask questions mode.'  A motel is fine for now, but we have 7 grandkids that are getting old enough to tag along, and it would be enjoyable for them to play in the dirt until it's bedtime, drop their toys, and come inside. 

Thanks for everyone's input.  When we come across another item of interest, I'm sure I'll have many questions. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

After much consideration, the amount of mods that it would require to make it falsely towable, is all the gut warning I need.  One item mentioned above that I did not think of, is insurance possibly not paying during the event of a crash if you're over your tow rating.  Or they may not even insurance it at all.  I enjoy white knuckle adventures, preferably not on the highways and byways. 

We've never owned a camper of any kind, so were in the 'take our time and look around ask questions mode.'  A motel is fine for now, but we have 7 grandkids that are getting old enough to tag along, and it would be enjoyable for them to play in the dirt until it's bedtime, drop their toys, and come inside. 

Thanks for everyone's input.  When we come across another item of interest, I'm sure I'll have many questions. 

Good choice. Though in truth Toyota underrates there tow ratings. Insurance would be my reasoning for not doing it. The truck would handle it like a champ. No question about that.

2 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

Good choice. Though in truth Toyota underrates there tow ratings. Insurance would be my reasoning for not doing it. The truck would handle it like a champ. No question about that.

I forgot to mention that a while back, I took my Land Cruiser (5300 lbs) and loaded it on my 16 ft pipe rail lowboy (1600 lbs), and drove it down the highway.  My Tundra fairly easily got up to highway speed, 65.  I only towed the load about 14 miles round trip.  a few times I tried to push it beyond 65 mph, and it would go, but it wasn't quick.  I don't have trailer brakes on my Tundra and it stopped fine, but there were also no surprises either.

One more thing to think about WW,,,,driving thru the 90 miles of pandemonium that is Houston I-10 traffic on the weekends!!! Anahuac to Sealy is a a rolling wreck waiting to happen. And much worse coming back thru H-town on Sunday afternoon. Don't make the wrong choice. Of all the points mentioned, STOPPING is the most critical IMO.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

One more thing to think about WW,,,,driving thru the 90 miles of pandemonium that is Houston I-10 traffic on the weekends!!! Anahuac to Sealy is a a rolling wreck waiting to happen. And much worse coming back thru H-town on Sunday afternoon. Don't make the wrong choice. Of all the points mentioned, STOPPING is the most critical IMO.

Stopping and a maneuvering are on the top of the list.  As you know, there is no getting around Houston anymore without darn near being involved in an accident, or at least witnessing one.  Not too many years ago, you could sneak down 105, 90, 610 loop, Beltway 8 loop, or at the right time of the night down I-10, but now you have to just accept the conditions.  The population of Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and their surrounding areas, has exploded.

8 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Stopping and a maneuvering are on the top of the list.  As you know, there is no getting around Houston anymore without darn near being involved in an accident, or at least witnessing one.  Not too many years ago, you could sneak down 105, 90, 610 loop, Beltway 8 loop, or at the right time of the night down I-10, but now you have to just accept the conditions.  The population of Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and their surrounding areas, has exploded.

Hmmm... people are leaving California in droves.  Texas metro has outgrown its infrastructure... We have been building the wall on the wrong border. :prof:

Edited by Bobatsea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bobatsea said:

Hmmm... people are leaving California in droves.  Texas metro has outgrown its infrastructure... We have been building the wall on the wrong border. :prof:

Those areas are a continual construction job.

The roads can't go any wider, only up.

Eventually officials will have to say "that's it, enjoy you radio, coffee, and sea of idling junk."

It's like the military, hurry up and wait.

Trailer brakes should always be adjusted to LEAD the trucks brakes. To say it another way, if you’re trailer weighs 7,000, then the trailer brakes should be doing 7300lbs of the braking.

4 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

:thumbsup::applause::thumbsup: Make TEXAS great again!

You're overweight, it's illegal. Get into an accident and it's shown that you are overweight could cause problems with your insurance... Do it correctly and safely or don't do it at all... Buy a smaller trailer or bigger truck...