WALKINGWOUNDED

Truck/Toyhauler Towing Questions

On 11/29/2019 at 8:03 PM, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

I have an 05 Tundra, 4dr, 2WD, 4.7 V8 Automatic O.D.  With information at hand, best I can tell its towing capacity is 7100 lbs.  I'm looking at a 2017 Coleman Latern 300 TQ Toyhauler.  It's dry weight is 6800 lbs.  I would usually have my race bike, pit-bike, generator, tool box, coffee machine, extra socks and various camping amenities, that would easily put me over the 7100 rating.  I'm sure if I latched onto it, it would go down the road, but my gut says it would be an 'overdrive off and drop a gear adventure'.  Initially I was trying to keep the trailer weight around 5000 lbs range, but this trailer came along and is virtually new, and a great price.  Should I buy this beast, or avoid buyers remorse and move on?

"overdrive off and drop a gear' is normal.      So where do you go from there.

Don't do it.    The first time you have to brake in an emergency situation, you'll realize why.        Don't do it.

Get a new truck with higher towing and payload capacity.     or a lighter trailer

What might work for you is to have a simple enclosed trailer.  It will be significantly lighter.  You can insulate the walls and add a shelf for all the stuff you carry.    Carry a small folding cot to sleep on and a mr buddy heater.   Add a water tank if you must.   You'll be very comfortable and your truck will pull it much easier.

Or get a smaller toyhauler.     

13 hours ago, kxlubber said:

Trailer brakes should always be adjusted to LEAD the trucks brakes. To say it another way, if you’re trailer weighs 7,000, then the trailer brakes should be doing 7300lbs of the braking.

Regardless of the trailer we purchase, I will be adding the electric brake module.  I'm already wired for it, just need to add the module.  And yes, I would have the trailer slightly ahead on braking.  The last thing I need is for the trailer to pass me up.  That happens enough on the track.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

11 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

You're overweight, it's illegal. Get into an accident and it's shown that you are overweight could cause problems with your insurance... Do it correctly and safely or don't do it at all... Buy a smaller trailer or bigger truck... 

I've seen conflicting numbers for my truck on different sites 

I'll let my insurance tell me what it is capable of towing, but will still stay below it anyway.

3 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

I'll let my insurance tell me what it is capable of towing, but will still stay below it anyway.

Just got to look at the door sticker

Capacity, is different for engine, gearing. 2-4 wheel drive & probably, bed length and cab configuration. So check you own vehicle as mentioned.
What gets confusing is towing capacity and cargo capacity. Both need to be figured into the equation. I suck at math, & tend to over load. I've owned 1 ton and heavy duty 3/4 ton trucks. My current pickup is "heavy duty" 1/2 ton with the tow package. Gearing, trailer brakes, tow mirrors all the "needs". It was one of the highest rated 1/2 tons for towing. My CTC, is well under it's tow rating, and I still would like my pickup to be a 3/4 ton. Yet, it has the right engine size, drive configuration, gearing, cab size, tires, brake controller, mirrors, etc. Came with more of my wants and needs than any of my other,1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton. But it doesn't have what in my head a pickup needs. 8' bed and 3/4 ton capacity.
My friend bought the "new" Ford. TT is within it's rating, claims it tows well. Then will say, "I wished I had a smaller trailer".
We all have are own ideas. Me, I need more truck, he needs less trailer.

Regardless of the trailer we purchase, I will be adding the electric brake module.  I'm already wired for it, just need to add the module.  And yes, I would have the trailer slightly ahead on braking.  The last thing I need is for the trailer to pass me up.  That happens enough on the track.

I’ve had a few cheap Tekonshas and they are easy/reliable for ~$75.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

After much consideration, the amount of mods that it would require to make it falsely towable, is all the gut warning I need.  One item mentioned above that I did not think of, is insurance possibly not paying during the event of a crash if you're over your tow rating.  Or they may not even insurance it at all.  I enjoy white knuckle adventures, preferably not on the highways and byways. 

We've never owned a camper of any kind, so were in the 'take our time and look around ask questions mode.'  A motel is fine for now, but we have 7 grandkids that are getting old enough to tag along, and it would be enjoyable for them to play in the dirt until it's bedtime, drop their toys, and come inside. 

Thanks for everyone's input.  When we come across another item of interest, I'm sure I'll have many questions. 

When I got into offroad riding, about 15 years ago, all I had was GMC Yukon that I used to carry my daughters and her friends to softball and soccer.   

I ended up buying a 15 year old Class C RV.   It slept a ton of people and was comfortable to travel in.   I towed a trailer behind it with dirtbikes and quads.   It was perfect.

It was the perfect investment and was useful for things other than dirt biking.      It was our weekend vehicle for carrying people and food as well as dirt bike riding trips.      We would stuff 7-8 kids in there, no problem.

It cost me $12K, had 40K miles on it.    Insurance is very cheap on these things.   In the 10 years we owned it, we ended up all over the state of california, Texas, the Grand Canyon and even Mount Rushmore.   

The kids (now young adults) went to college a few years ago and we upgraded to a much nicer/newer Class A for just me and my wife.    

Its a cheap option to consider since you don't have a big truck.

13 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Most ins agents are totally unskilled to supply this info. And the smart ones will never do so and open them up to a lawsuit.

8 hours ago, Just_a_trail_rider said:

When I got into offroad riding, about 15 years ago, all I had was GMC Yukon that I used to carry my daughters and her friends to softball and soccer.   

I ended up buying a 15 year old Class C RV.   It slept a ton of people and was comfortable to travel in.   I towed a trailer behind it with dirtbikes and quads.   It was perfect.

It was the perfect investment and was useful for things other than dirt biking.      It was our weekend vehicle for carrying people and food as well as dirt bike riding trips.      We would stuff 7-8 kids in there, no problem.

It cost me $12K, had 40K miles on it.    Insurance is very cheap on these things.   In the 10 years we owned it, we ended up all over the state of california, Texas, the Grand Canyon and even Mount Rushmore.   

The kids (now young adults) went to college a few years ago and we upgraded to a much nicer/newer Class A for just me and my wife.    

Its a cheap option to consider since you don't have a big truck.

That is something we've talked about.  You can find a V-10 gas coach very reasonable.  We wanted the toy hauler so we could lock everything up when at a store or restaurant. My bike trailer is a 3 rail open trailer, but I suppose I could find a 12ft box trailer to tow behind a coach.  We haven't removed anything off of the list, and are in no rush to buy.  We are casually looking around.  My wife has a dual sport that would be good for quick/short trips to a country store if in need of supplies, instead of driving a house into town.

12 hours ago, Padilen said:

Capacity, is different for engine, gearing. 2-4 wheel drive & probably, bed length and cab configuration. So check you own vehicle as mentioned.
What gets confusing is towing capacity and cargo capacity. Both need to be figured into the equation. I suck at math, & tend to over load. I've owned 1 ton and heavy duty 3/4 ton trucks. My current pickup is "heavy duty" 1/2 ton with the tow package. Gearing, trailer brakes, tow mirrors all the "needs". It was one of the highest rated 1/2 tons for towing. My CTC, is well under it's tow rating, and I still would like my pickup to be a 3/4 ton. Yet, it has the right engine size, drive configuration, gearing, cab size, tires, brake controller, mirrors, etc. Came with more of my wants and needs than any of my other,1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton. But it doesn't have what in my head a pickup needs. 8' bed and 3/4 ton capacity.
My friend bought the "new" Ford. TT is within it's rating, claims it tows well. Then will say, "I wished I had a smaller trailer".
We all have are own ideas. Me, I need more truck, he needs less trailer.

If we end up with a toy hauler, it will be below anybody's rating.

I want to reach over and pick up my Red Bull and coffee chaser, with reduced fear of staying perfectly between the lines.

With too big a load, I'd have arm pump before I got to the track.

7 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Most ins agents are totally unskilled to supply this info. And the smart ones will never do so and open them up to a lawsuit.

There's one of each at my Insurance agents office.

2 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

I want to reach over and pick up my Red Bull and coffee chaser, with reduced fear of staying perfectly between the lines.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to drive a class c rig.    It should tow about 5K lbs, which is a helluva lot of stuff.   

Keep the trailer you got and get a PEWAG chain and lock.  THey are bolt cutter proof.   But an enclosed single axle 12-14 foot trailer would also tow easily behind that trailer. 

You'll still reach over and get your red bull / coffee chaser.    You'll go slower on windy days, but you also would be going slower towing a big ass trailer

best part of an rv comes when you stop for gas and the family all comes out with 64oz drinks despite you telling them not to.   Instead of listening to them bug you to pull over every 30 mins to find a bathroom, they will simply use it while you are driving.  And...   you'll stick your hand out and tell the wife "bring me a sandwich"...  and you'll get it.

Anyway, those are the benefits. Dont take them lightly!

This is what worked for me.      

Do what works for you... I'm just sharing....  

Edited by Just_a_trail_rider
  • Helpful 1

I used to tow my 27ft KZ bumper pull toy hauler(claimed 6100 dry/ 980 toungue) with a 2014 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with a 5.7.  Sure, the truck would pull it, but it wasn't fun.  The ride sucked and the whole time, I knew I was overloaded with my whole family in the truck.  Brakes were never an issue as the Tundra's are awesome.

Traded the Tundra on a 2015 Chevy 2500 crew gasser.  Ride is much better and piece of mind is worth a million bucks.  Power is quite anemic, however as the 6.slow is really working pushing a 6500 lb truck and towing a 8000 lb trailer with cinder block aerodynamics.  Don't even ask about gas mileage, lol...IMG_3225.JPG.f8726f73e5fb674da77f39d7f7b0357b.JPG

• Helpful 2

20 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Or a heart attack with that RB and coffee. You should know better Gramps!

• Haha 1

Holidays someone always flops one in high winds on bridge here, usually a 1/2t pickup or suv towing a trailer a salesman said would be ok. Trailer usually uprite, it's the lighter tow vehicle on it's side. Doesn't matter what motor it has.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 7:31 PM, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

There's one of each at my Insurance agents office.

Beyond unusual. Still not the proper person IMO. Good luck.

3 hours ago, highmarker said:

Holidays someone always flops one in high winds on bridge here, usually a 1/2t pickup or suv towing a trailer a salesman said would be ok. Trailer usually uprite, it's the lighter tow vehicle on it's side. Doesn't matter what motor it has.

"1/2 ton towable" is the bullshit line of the day for RV sales people...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, braindead0 said:

"1/2 ton towable" is the bullshit line of the day for RV sales people...

Yep, fell for it myself.  Technically they will tow it, until you put more than one person in the truck.

I love seeing all the hero's with 30-35' fifth wheels on their ecoboost f-150's...