TraderVic

Anyone try a Gnarly pipe on a 200 yet?

I really think it doesn’t need one at all. It’s probably like the 250/300 where the stock and the gnarly is basically the same pipe.. I think maybe the scalvini would be interesting to try. Even then I don’t know about a gnarly but something more like a pro circuit platinum or a fatty etc to maybe have more mid and top? In any event it will be interesting to see if anyone has a gnarly pipe on and how it works. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I really think it doesn’t need one at all. It’s probably like the 250/300 where the stock and the gnarly is basically the same pipe.. 

That's what I suspect.

I don't need more on top, but I wouldn't mind a little more on the bottom.

Probably won't be able to get it with just a pipe.

FMF IMHO has been slowly changing their newer design Gnarly for other brands.

I wouldn’t throw a blanket statement that it’s probably not going to be an option good for someone who’s looking for a little more mid-torque at the slight expense of losing some of the top.

Normally their a little cheaper $$ than a OEM pipe, they are thicker steel more dent resistant.

Really depends on your riding areas and local traction, or lack of it.

6 hours ago, TraderVic said:

I don't need more on top, but I wouldn't mind a little more on the bottom

A head mod might be just what you are looking for. Nice bottom end increase with added benefit of better fuel economy and clean running across a wide variety of conditions. 

It's also less expensive than a pipe if that makes a difference. 

7 hours ago, TraderVic said:

That's what I suspect.

I don't need more on top, but I wouldn't mind a little more on the bottom.

Probably won't be able to get it with just a pipe.

:excuseme: Maybe an RK head? It’s all early and guys love the 200 rr stock... which means not much development for mods yet.. and it’s new.  Since Ive gotten good results with an RK with my 300 Id talk to kelsey for the 200.

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

:excuseme: Maybe an RK head? 

3 hours ago, firffighter said:

A head mod might be just what you are looking for.

Pretty much my thoughts, also.

I want to be careful with the compression, since I want to be able to run pump gas and some of it may be a little sketchy.

I emailed Eric Gorr a little while back and asked him if he's looked at any Beta engines, but have not heard back. I'm sure he's very busy. Maybe I'll try to call him at some point.

Just finished working on my suspension. Haven't gotten a chance to ride it, but will give more thought to the power plant when I'm satisfied with that.

Will keep you all apprised.  ✌️

• Like 2

If the pipe is pricey. Why not go for a much more potent and broader power increase like the STIC metering block provides?  Not for novices, but it won't be like an agro 250. 

3 hours ago, Otto Kirk said:

If the pipe is pricey. Why not go for a much more potent and broader power increase like the STIC metering block provides?  Not for novices, but it won't be like an agro 250. 

First I've heard of this.

Looks interesting.

4 hours ago, Otto Kirk said:

What kind of effect does the STIC have on fuel economy?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TraderVic said:

First I've heard of this.

Looks interesting.

It really changes the nature of a small bore. The cooled and vaporized fuel places the biggest gains in the low end. The design also resolves signal strength at lower rpm's. So, the bigger the carb, the bigger the gains off idle.

If you only want incremental improvement to the low end. A head mod is always the right thing to do and besides, it won't diminish peak hp like that Gnarly. Save yourself some coin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

What kind of effect does the STIC have on fuel economy?

I've only been riding on the pipe hard, so my range is taking a hit. No idea what will result from a normal trail ride that has a mix of terrain and speeds. It certainly burn clean, as I haven't even seen spooge from rich conditions.

14 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Got a link?

http://www.sticsupertorque.com/

Below is very reliable dealer, that actually helped refine the product for more trail friendly characteristics. You'll find Mark on his utube TokyoOffRoad channel. Plenty of quality videos in some steep sweet terrain in Japan.

Edited by Otto Kirk
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Otto Kirk said:

It really changes the nature of a small bore. The cooled and vaporized fuel places the biggest gains in the low end. The design also resolves signal strength at lower rpm's. So, the bigger the carb, the bigger the gains off idle.

If you only want incremental improvement to the low end. A head mod is always the right thing to do and besides, it won't diminish peak hp like that Gnarly. Save yourself some coin.

Thanks! I’m not familiar with this. What are you using this on and how does it run with and without? It is still $300 . What’s a gnarly run? Similar? More??