estjlogic1

XR650L Dealer failed to put oil in my NEW XR650L!

I have a question. I just purchased a brand new 2019 XR 650 L with 6/10 of a mile on it. I brought it home from the dealership and road it 7 miles. Well checking it out I found out that the dealership failed to fill it with oil. I returned it to the dealership, mad as hell. The dealership had to add 6 ounces of oil to get it to even show up on the dipstick. After that they added another 32 ounces (38 ounces total) to get it to show “full” on the stick. My question for you experts, is, obviously, could the bike have been damaged, riding 7 miles, while 38 ounces low in oil? There was no signs or sounds that concerned me while riding that short distance and everything seems fine now. Thanks for your help. And appreciate your time.

Normally everything should be fine. You have a reservoir and a sump. Overall you have around two litres in the bike.

But!!!

It is a new bike I would ask them to take care of it and make sure everything is fine. I would even ask them to give that go you in written form.

The dealership charges you for assembling the bike, filing paperwork with the state, etc., and obviously they failed to complete this. In other words, you paid for a service you didn't get- at best it's gross incompetence, at worst it's fraud. This is an egregious failure on their part, and the bike's engine will be suspect for the entire time you own it, under these circumstances. They should have immediately offered to replace the bike, no questions asked, as a matter of professionalism. They didn't, apparently. I would demand that the dealership replace the bike, period, the end. You need to contact Honda, report this VIN so nobody else gets stuck with it, and go to town on that dealership. I wouldn't even give them the opportunity to have the conversation, I'd hit 'em with both barrels. Inform them that you are filing complaints with Honda, BBB, etc., and copy them on the correspondence. There are laws against this kind of thing, most states have a lemon-law and you should investigate your legal options immediately. Do not keep this bike. At 38 ounces of oil, you are at 1.12L, the bike only holds 1.9L. Maybe it's fine, maybe it's not. You paid for a good machine, and you should get what you paid for. Do not let anyone on this forum talk you out of getting the bike replaced.

Edited by Aaybich.Eighnwun-99
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I have personally proved that an XR650L will run on just half a quart of oil.  (It takes 2.06 quarts after an oil and filter change.)  In my case it didn't run for long when that low after riding it several miles at 60 mph up a hill at basically full throttle.

If you were taking it easy the whole time there is a good chance that it was never oil starved.  Still, I would be rather upset buying a new bike, paying for them to set it up, then finding out that they missed an important step like that.  If you don't try to make them take it back (or they won't take it), at least ask for a refund on the amount you payed for setup that they didn't do.  Maybe see if they'll now throw in an extended warranty on the engine.

I agree ...........

Some one needs to do a proper check...............

the engine should show no damage from what's been described.

Get your "set up" money back ............. sounds like these people will not be in business long.........getting sloppy

Thanks for your comments. Still in Communication with the dealership, due to holiday and weekend closures. Dealer states they added only four oz. of oil and it showed on the dipstick, so very confident bike came with enough in it from the factory just not enough to register on the dipstick. Then the idiot who prepped it, failed to check it. 

There is also preliminary discussions about an extended warranty, related only to that issue of course.  

I'm going to say the oil was checked incorrectly by everyone involved.  If not done correctly it will show low oil level.  Did you check it correctly?

• Like 1

Dealer did it to a friends new yz450f, bought new and told to bring it back in after a couple rides and service it. Went to pick it up and the tech started it and rode it up and down the alley then into his truck leaving a drip trail. Drain plug was still out. long story short, didn't hurt it. People make mistakes, although he never gave this dealer a 2nd chance.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:11 PM, ricardoguitars said:

Stupid question, do you know the procedure to check the oil on the L?.

I didn't but do now. It's more complicated than I thought! 

• Like 1

The dealer admitted it was not checked/filled/topped off, before releasing it to me. As I think I mentioned, after I returned it, the dealer said they added four oz. and that brought it up to show on the stick. I get it back tomorrow and they saved the oil container to show me, the remaining 28 oz. Honda puts "break-in oil" in the bike, before they send them out. I just don't know how much.

If that's the case, I'm fairly convinced there was no damage. 

8 minutes ago, ricardoguitars said:

When in doubt about the oil level, drain it and measure, if you use a clean container you can reuse the oil.

After researching this topic, I found this ( on advrider.com ). It was the shortest explanation that I found that made good sense (to me anyway).                                                                    "If it is half way up the dipstick don't worry, you have enough to start it. Typically my XR's and 650 L read at the bottom of the dipstick after sitting for a few days. Let it idle upright, not on the kickstand, for 10 minutes, shut it off then check the level. Like lrutt said it leaks past the pump down into the crankcase, which is a dry sump system. Once while fretting over oil level I checked the dipstick cold, it read at the bottom of the stick. I drained the oil and measured the quantity removed and I was only 4 ounces under max capacity"  The only thing I would add to that is.. Make sure that the oil your reading "at the bottom" of the dipstick, is not just a DROP hanging from it!                                         https://advrider.com/f/threads/xr650l-oil-level-when-cold.290166/                                                    

On a new bike, or one with a good anti-siphon valve (or whatever it's called), the oil will still show on the dipstick for a long time after it's shut off, possibly for weeks.

To check that, I just went out in the garage and checked both of mine, which have not run in more than a week.  The 2001, which was rebuilt in 2014, still shows full.  The 1997, which has never had any engine work, shows just over half, and I can't remember if that's where it was at last time I checked or if it has dropped a little.

The point is that you can check if you have enough oil without going through the whole procedure specified in the manual.  If it shows low, THEN you have to run the engine for a few minutes, shut it off, and check, because it could change.

• Like 1

Mine always shows empty when cold, I have to run it for over 5 or so minutes to get the dipstick wet, I got scared once thinking that i was running the bike without oil, i drain it and the oil level was fine, that's why I learned that if you think the dipstick is fooling you, drain and measure.