Selling bike thoughts? All parts, or Part out

Last year I tried to sell the race bike as is with Ohlins forks, Fox Shock, Dubya Wheels, Scalvini exhaust etc.  Asked a very reasonable price (almost too cheap) Wanted to sell it complete so someone could have a truly awesome bike! 

No luck. Put stock suspension, wheels, exhaust and plastic, seat etc. back on and it sold fast.  Sold suspension and wheels separate and came out way ahead! 

Bottom line I’ve found is stock bikes sell way faster 

B58E3F0B-B432-4EA7-8898-349A3756EE16.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3

40 minutes ago, Cullins said:

Last year I tried to sell the race bike as is with Ohlins forks, Fox Shock, Dubya Wheels, Scalvini exhaust etc.  Asked a very reasonable price (almost too cheap) Wanted to sell it complete so someone could have a truly awesome bike! 

No luck. Put stock suspension, wheels, exhaust and plastic, seat etc. back on and it sold fast.  Sold suspension and wheels separate and came out way ahead! 

I saw that bike on instagram. It was a killer deal. Shame no one wanted it......... its basically done. Just full it with gas and ride. Thanks for the input I think I am going to take it back to as stock as possible, throw fresh plastics on it and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

32 minutes ago, NEGbrap said:

I saw that bike on instagram. It was a killer deal. Shame no one wanted it......... its basically done. Just full it with gas and ride. Thanks for the input I think I am going to take it back to as stock as possible, throw fresh plastics on it and call it a day.

Just curious what all is on your bike in aftermarket? 

I agree, you can usually sell the aftermarket items for a fair amount on eBay or other places rather than take a big loss on them by selling them with the bike. 

A nice clean stock bike seems to draw buyers in more. 

What are you looking to replace it with? 

If you have 37 take offs then count on 37 different buyers all having special and unique needs for shipping and additional photos. Then count on eBay and PayPal fees. In the end maybe 35% return from what you paid for the add ons. Only you can determine what your time is worth. 

• Like 3

I think you will always come out way ahead if you sell the bike in stock form and sell all the upgraded components individually. Perhaps offer a discount on the upgraded components to the person who buys a bike. Choice of Upgraded components is very personal and not everyone wants the same stuff and certainly not everyone will be willing to pay a premium for them unless they happen to be exactly what they were looking for. 

• Like 1

I would suggest trying as is- with appropriate price.

If the potential buyer likes all your modifications, it would be worth it.  If not- then just put it stock and sell parts separately.  Sometimes even to the person buying the bike!

some things don’t make a lot of sense to another buyer- like suspension that is setup for someone way different weight/style than you (unless price allows for reconfiguration).  

2 hours ago, Cullins said:

I had a similar scenario with a car I did a bunch of work on. It was a late model Pontiac GTO (which were never sold up here), and I put a ton of upgrades in it (blower, cam, forged wheels, brake kit, etc). It was full retard with close to 1000hp. I knew I'd never even get close to what I put into it (even with me doing all the work myself). But I listed it at a super fair price and had pretty well no interest (besides one person asking me if I could lower the power output). So after it sat all summer with no interest, I decided to put it back to near stock. I sold all the parts that winter for almost 20k. Then listed the car in the spring for only 5k less than it was listed the summer prior. It sold in 2 days for full asking price with multiple people in line... So I ended up 15k ahead of what full asking price would have been the year prior. 

All extras do is narrow the market for people interested in what you are selling IMO.

Edited by Goatse
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Cullins said:

That set up bike was pretty much a bike with all the best parts for an incredible deal. That is a pretty ultimate Beta . I would have bought it. It’s all timing too though right. My bike is close enough but not with that suspension . And where I live...shipping costs cost a bit... might still could have been worth it..

If you are just talking basic bolt ons like rad guards skid plates etc don't waste your time. The new owner will need that anyway.

Aftermarket Forks / Shocks Wheels Ti Exhaust systems etc where you have the stock equipment to go back on is a complete different deal.

Edited by powdermuncher

I'm kinda in the same conundrum with my '15 300 race. Anyone that has followed my thread about it, might remember how much time/money I've thrown at the bike. The only stock part about the bike is the frame and lower-end...I bought a 2020 and I have debating about what I should do with the '15. It looks like a friend might buy it in the near future. I think I could've got more with some random person on C-list, but I'd rather lose out on a couple hundred for an easy deal with someone I know will enjoy a kick-ass bike. He's even cool with waiting till after I race one last hard enduro on it (not going to subject my '20 to that, yet.)

• Like 2

The issue with Mods is they are very subjective which is why they dont hold ANY value. You will normally make "more" by bringing your bike back to stock and selling the mods separately. The question I would ask is how much is your time worth? Not just the time to bring your bike back to stock, how much time did you spend researching the mods, buying them and then installing them? IMO sell the bike as is, sell the OEM parts online and pick up a new bike and have fun. 

15 hours ago, powdermuncher said:

If you are just talking basic bolt ons like rad guards skid plates etc don't waste your time. The new owner will need that anyway.

Aftermarket Forks / Shocks Wheels Ti Exhaust systems etc where you have the stock equipment to go back on is a complete different deal.

The only part thats "stock" if you would call it that are the front forks, but they are revalved. The rear shock has a bladder kit, revalve and kashima coated tank. I even have a aftermarket shock that isn't currently on the bike. Everything else besides the frame/wheels is upgraded/modified. 

No point crying over upgraded stock components . Unless you have stock components siting there to replace  them with they are just the bike and what you got out of them was when you used the bike.   Up grading bikes is like burning cash as long as you can afford it and it makes you happy  go for it just remember it is all you will ever get out of it. We all do it just remember it is just a Toy for 99% of us.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, powdermuncher said:

No point crying over upgraded stock components . Unless you have stock components siting there to replace  them with they are just the bike and what you got out of them was when you used the bike.   Up grading bikes is like burning cash as long as you can afford it and it makes you happy  go for it just remember it is all you will ever get out of it. We all do it just remember it is just a Toy for 99% of us.

Cheers

No one's crying. Thanks though.