2020 yzf 450 transformer

4 hours ago, mog said:
10 hours ago, OUTERLIMITS said:
Yes, desperate attempt at that.  And this bike landed on another bike.

How does landing on another bike break a frame ? Can you explain

So you dont think landing on an equally hard object in what has to be an awkward way could play a factor? Let's setup a track with aluminium cylinders on jump landings... have guys land bikes on them off jumps and see if they dont do damage?

• Helpful 2

32 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Pretty crazy. It happens though. I wish it didnt happen as much on Husky/KTMs but it can happen to any bike. It def happens a little more on the KTMs. Not sure if it is the steel frame or the lack of material or what. 

Light weight and durable are rarely in the same sentence. There is not that much steel in those steel frames. I think my easy up uses the same gauge steel as a ktm frame.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

Light weight and durable are rarely in the same sentence. There is not that much steel in those steel frames. I think my easy up uses the same gauge steel as a ktm frame.

It's not that thin.

s600_big_crack.jpg

And it is not so much the walls of the frame that make a KTM light, as much as the less overall mass the spars have, which allows everything to be more compact. The same could be said about Yamahas 2stroke aluminum frame. 

1 hour ago, Zinergy said:

You picked a bad example to use to prove your point. Makes it seem like you're reaching on this, especially with how many ktm frames have been posted as of late.

They all break, there's been loads of Yamaha's with cracked frames posted, MXA wrote an article about how common it is, and Yamaha even made a statement that it is "normal" for frames the break. Take that how you will.....

7 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

They all break, there's been loads of Yamaha's with cracked frames posted, MXA wrote an article about how common it is, and Yamaha even made a statement that it is "normal" for frames the break. Take that how you will.....

Yes. There were YZ frames breaking along the weld for a good while on the 10-13 450s. I believe even the gen before that had issues. 1 of them was near the shock mount. It happens. KTM does seem more frequent but I don't think it is a major deal, like it is hyped up to be on the net.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I get and agree with all that but he made this thread as a reaction to the slew of recent ktm broke frame pics. And chose to use a case with extra variables such as a bike landing on another bike.

Edited by Zinergy

3 hours ago, mog said:

No it's because Yamaha fluffers love to hit back saying how ktms are weak as they are too light

It seems heavy is no better

Maybe some, but YOU started a thread about it.  I say they all break in extreme conditions, so get over it.  Funny that the bike everyone likes to bag on the most (RMZ) seems to have one of the fewest occurrences of breakage.

take a look at the kinematics, weights, deceleration, and then factor in long lever lengths (such as fork length) and then examine the very short distance of material holding this all in place (the neck). im surprised that there aren't more snapped frames.

this all just proves that the engineering behind the designs (all major brands) is quite good. and yet very near the limits when unexpected forces are applied. but this is typical in racing applications (just enough and not one ounce more).

now, jump on the hindu Baja and go clear a big triple, and we will see just how good your YZ/CRF/KX/RM/FC/SXF are....

This is a simple case of the Thunder making noise, The lightning striking another bike and the storm coming through with a casualty of it's own gender. RIP THUNDER! Your lightning strike of epic proportions won't be forgotten! 

Lightning Thunder Sizzle

• Like 1
  • Haha 3