Jgoon

2006 Kx450f overheating

I have a 2006 Kx450f and been having a cooling problem my bike keeps boiling over and I am mainly riding wide open desert. Would appreciate any advice on things to do or check or try. I have put a new 1.6 cap on used engine ice did not help, I have checked water pump and it works next thing I was thinking about trying  is a Boyesen supercooler any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated 

You shouldn't have any cooling problems in wide open desert riding.  I would remove rads, flush and verify flow.  Check hoses for kinks, if it has a thermostat verify the thermostat is functioning properly.

Maybe it's running really lean? 

1 hour ago, braindead0 said:

1 hour ago, braindead0 said:

You shouldn't have any cooling problems in wide open desert riding.  I would remove rads, flush and verify flow.  Check hoses for kinks, if it has a thermostat verify the thermostat is functioning properly.

Maybe it's running really lean? 

Ok I will take the rad off and flush and also check and see in Manuel if the bike has a thermostat. But if the bike was that lean wouldn’t it be running like doo and poping and spiting flames like showing bad symptoms of being lean

Just tossing ideas out there, you didn't mention how it's running... for all I know it is backfiring and running like crap as you fly across the desert 'wide open' at 10MPH 😉

If possible flush the engine block as well.  If someone mixed incompatible coolant or the coolant became contaminated with who knows what.. there could be 'gunk' blocking cooling passages. 

I wouldn't recommend throwing things (and dollars) at the problem yet, not until you know for sure what the actual problem is.

Good luck.

Check for signs of a head gasket leak. Inspect the spark plug, coolant and engine oil.

Maybe a warped head. Easy to glass plate sand it flat and replace the gasket.

After market coolant hoses without the join piece are cheap and reliable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Just tossing ideas out there, you didn't mention how it's running... for all I know it is backfiring and running like crap as you fly across the desert 'wide open' at 10MPH 😉

If possible flush the engine block as well.  If someone mixed incompatible coolant or the coolant became contaminated with who knows what.. there could be 'gunk' blocking cooling passages. 

I wouldn't recommend throwing things (and dollars) at the problem yet, not until you know for sure what the actual problem is.

Good luck.

Will do thx