Tinhorn047

Best products to wash your motorcycle with?

3 minutes ago, Tinhorn047 said:

Anybody got any recommendations for what to use to wash a dirt bike with? Preferably something I can get at Walmart or autozone or something of that nature?

I have had good success with just about any name brand car wash product. If the bike is really dirty I’ll spray it with a pressure washer then use the car wash soap in a bucket of hot water. I use a brush to clean the metal parts then use cheap sponges for the plastic. . Don’t over think it. The bike is going to get dirty again when you ride it next. I don’t recommend products like simple green that can be quite caustic when not diluted. 

• Like 2

Anybody got any recommendations for what to use to wash a dirt bike with? Preferably something I can get at Walmart or autozone or something of that nature?
Simple green smells great and isn't hard on aluminum and won't dry out rubber
  • Like 3

Get it wet, spray with Shout, drink a beer, wipe it down with Dawn blue or car wash, rinse, blow dry with compressed air. Clean o-ring chain with diesel fuel.

• Like 1

Low pressure pressure washer (1800 psi or less) and shout concentrate fed into pressure washer.  Use full pressure nozzle to knock main dirt off bike, hit with low pressure shout suds, then let sit 5-10 minutes.  I usually wash my boots/helmet in this time.   Then full pressure rinse.  Shout seems to keep the plastics looking nice and the aluminum shiny.  No pitting or anything on the metals.  I've been doing this about every 2 hours for 60 hours and its been great.    

A lot of people say don't use pressure washers.  I think their fine.  Just don't use them like an idiot.  Get a lower pressure electric.  Spray your hand (carefully) to get a feel for pressure.  I don't give the bike what my hand can't take.  For my washer this is about 6 6-8 inches with a 25 degree nozzle.  Take care on areas with seals etc and don't get any closer.  Plastics?  feel free to get an inch away as long as there is nothing around them.  It will take the pushed in dirt right out of them.

Never had bearing problems, electrical problems, etc.

For general washing I use Dawn dishwashing liquid and a variety of tools from a nappy wash mitt to different shaped, sized & bristle stiffness brushes depending upon the area I'm trying to clean. We don't have gooey mud, so I can get by with garden hose water pressure just fine. I have hooked a hose up to my garage water heat for hot water when I lived in areas with a lot of sticky mud. The heat really helps loosen it. There is no one best way as not all soils are the same. As long as you stay away from harsh chemicals that etch aluminum or isn't kind to plastics and rubber you're pretty safe. Dawn is a pretty good, but gentle degreaser and we always have it around the hose. And, it's cheap.

• Like 3

I agree if going to do a full clean i'll just use dawn in a bucket and scrub it good. Lately based on a recommendation, I've used the Maxima Bio cleaner. That stuff works great for a quick after-ride wash now that it's dark and cold by the time I get home. I'll scrape as much mud off before loading the truck then spray off any excess mud when I get home, then squirt it down with the Maxima and let it sit for a bit then do a quick scrub with a long-handled brush and wash it off a gain. This gets most of the dirt film off that just hosing with water leaves behind. Also works well on places that are hard to get to like the engine under the tank. 

• Helpful 1

I use a product called Totally Awesome from either the Dollar General or Family Dollar. Spray it on a cold dry bike and hose it off. Very simple. Then I blow dry the bike with the leaf blower. Quick and easy and the product is cheap.

• Like 2

Just made a count,,,243,763 threads on how to wash my bike. Is it really that hard to figure out? Is the search function that difficult to use? We are fast approaching the post number of oil threads. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Just made a count,,,243,763 threads on how to wash my bike. Is it really that hard to figure out? Is the search function that difficult to use? We are fast approaching the post number of oil threads. :facepalm:

Rotella 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2

4 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Who cares :excuseme:. Don't sweat the small stuff mate. Life's too short.

Seriously. Trivial things like this can only effect you if you let them. How does it effect your life if there's too many threads on a topic? You're just stressing yourself over nothing.

• Like 1

Coin wash on way home, 2 bucks, hi pressure wax, bike drys out going home, lube chain . Easiest way to do it if I can anyway? And I own 2 pressure washers.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Coin wash on way home, 2 bucks, hi pressure wax, bike drys out going home, lube chain . Easiest way to do it if I can anyway? And I own 2 pressure washers.

That's pretty much what everyone does here. But, I ride from my driveway, so just use a bucket and hot soapy water.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Quick said:

I use a product called Totally Awesome from either the Dollar General or Family Dollar. Spray it on a cold dry bike and hose it off. Very simple. Then I blow dry the bike with the leaf blower. Quick and easy and the product is cheap.

Just noticed the wife has several bottles of this on shelf gonna give it a try. Thanks for the tip

48 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

That's pretty much what everyone does here. But, I ride from my driveway, so just use a bucket and hot soapy water.

I do this. Paying 10 bucks to use a hose and watered down soap doesnt appeal top me

• Like 2