decon

4 stroke efi and fuel additives

This is gonna be my first efi bike. In the past in my carbureted 4 strokes I would run some Lucas and some stabilizer.....seemed to work fine. If it was running a little rough I would use some sea foam. Any recommended additives in the efi bikes.

Thanks.

Why would you ever need a fuel additive?  Is something wrong with the bike?     EFI doesn't need any help from anything you can pour in the gas tank.  

on a carbureted bike, if it sits up for a while, you would need the stabilizer.    It would have to sit up for a very long time for the injectors to get gummed up.   Hard to imagine you would need anything other than to start up the bike once a month if you are not riding it

Was riding an EFI KTM in Cambodia once.....it didn't like some of the crap fuel that we were buying from jungle villages.....little dose of injector cleaner & it would clear it's throat and get going again.

All pump fuel has additives. Some of the additives out-gas in a matter of hours, some in a matter of weeks. 

The longer it sits, the more 'varnish' that will be left on fueling components.  Stabilizer slows this down.

Most pump fuel has Ethanol. Ethanol is hydroscopic and attracts water vapor out of the air and sucks it into the fuel.

It also separates with agitation.  Stabilizer slows this down.

The ONLY fuel stabilizer I have used that actually works, is PRI-G.  Seafoam allows you to use the contaminated gas, but the fuel turns into crap quality.

Oil additives are more complicated. Some think that adding 'more' zinc and other additives will give you better protection. This is usually not true.

The only additive that has proven to work and that is used without sponsorship in motor racing, is Oil Extreme Concentrate. It works all the time, every time.

http://www.oilextreme.com/oil1.html

You don't need this additive unless you are competing in Baja....................or just even riding Baja, I suppose.....

The most important thing about oil is the psi rating, which no oil company will tell you. You want as close to 140,000 psi as possible. 

This is the only spec that really matters; what psi the oil can withstand before the oil molecules start to break down, at 230-275 degrees. 

Oils like Mobil 1 Eurpopean formula (136000psi), Amsoil Signiture series (135000), Motul 300V (105000psi).

Do you need oil this good in a dirt bike, whose oil contaminates in a matter of hours, and needs changing ?  Only if you thrash the hell out of it or wait long times to change your oil.

Oh, and Rotella T6 is the oil you want to avoid, besides the internet hoopla over it's supposed value. It is ranked 200 out of 214 oils tested (71,000 psi). 

• Helpful 1

Lucas upper cylinder lubricant in my 4 stroke bikes as often as possible. 

Some type of stabilizer if its going to sit more than a month or two. 

Good gas has plenty of detergent to keep the injectors clean, forget the Seafoam. If it's not running right you have a problem. 

1 hour ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Some think that adding 'more' zinc and other additives will give you better protection. This is usually not true.

More internet conjecture most likely parroted from Bob is the (dead) oil guy.

All oils labeled as'Racing' are exempt from EPA limits on ZDDP.