MX450R

CR125 2001/2002 cylinder interchange??

Hey guys. I have a 2001 125 that needs a cylinder. A local ride has a good inspected cylinder from a 2002 he is willing to sell. Physically by pictures, the 2 cylinders look the same but on partzilla I notice 2 different part numbers. Will they interchange? the crankcases are the same part numbers, so I'd assume all the mounting would have to be the same. Just want to be sure

after a little more extensive research, This is what Ive found to be the same part number between the years. Crankcases, piston, powervalve, base gasket, and head gasket. SO now Im real curious as to what the change is? Porting? Ive seen Honda do some weird stuff with part numbers over the years. Ive seen crank bearings on 4 strokes be identicle other than the supplier from where Honda received them and they would issue a new part number. But ive also seen parts that you would think would be the same within a model year, be different based off vin number due to an update. So they can be tricky lol

I ordered a new OEM cylinder for an 01 last night. But Im extremely curious to know what the change was. When every part number wrapped around it is the same, it had to be minor. And I noticed that if buying both cylinders new....the 02 is quite cheaper........I just really like being a book of worthless knowledge when I talk engines with people :D

The 2001 cylinder has an exhaust port opening approximately .045”higher than the 1999 cylinder. The 2002 cylinder opens the exhaust higher than the 2001. The high exhaust port of the 2002 cylinder should make the most peak power relative to the other cylinders.

https://srsengines.com/technical-library/shifter-engines/stock-honda-cylinder-comparison

2 hours ago, Smokin CR 125R said:

The 2001 cylinder has an exhaust port opening approximately .045”higher than the 1999 cylinder. The 2002 cylinder opens the exhaust higher than the 2001. The high exhaust port of the 2002 cylinder should make the most peak power relative to the other cylinders.

https://srsengines.com/technical-library/shifter-engines/stock-honda-cylinder-comparison

so I'm guessing I could have ran the 02 cylinder? which I figured based off all mating parts being the same. No biggie now though. At least with the new OEM cylinder Ill know what I'm getting