What upper body protection do you wear?

4 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

I was lucky, a buddy had the Zac Speed so I could try it on to see what it was like.  I also found a complete set on Amazon for about 2/3 the regular price, which made it a much easier choice.  

Like anything there are positives and negatives.  However I feel the reduction in heat, sweating and riding gear stinking to high heaven has been a game changer for me.  Being overheated is exhausting and I can ride much further without getting tired when I am not overheated.  Early in the season another buddy came out wearing 4 layers on his torso.  By about 1/3 of the way in he was seriously overheated and suffering horribly.   I got him to pull off two of the layers just so he wouldn't pass out from the heat and we could keep going.  

Four layers of clothing for a highly energetic activity seems nothing short of insane.  I think people don't pay attention to stuff like this and don't see the results of some gear choices.  We ride difficult and unforgiving terrain and need every advantage we can get.  

I've taken a few sharp sticks to the shoulder with the Zac but I've also essentially eliminated the overheating, sweat pouring off my body, exhaustion.  A worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

What I was wearing for this trip was 3 layers: first an underlayer (TSLA stuff, although I'm sure VNM or UA would've worked as well if not better, but I find an underlayer helps a lot with sweat), then armor, then a jersey. Not sure if the underlayer really counts though, and the jersey breathes *really* well.

9 minutes ago, toten said:

What I was wearing for this trip was 3 layers: first an underlayer (TSLA stuff, although I'm sure VNM or UA would've worked as well if not better, but I find an underlayer helps a lot with sweat), then armor, then a jersey. Not sure if the underlayer really counts though, and the jersey breathes *really* well.

about what i wear. underlayer/fox titan jacket/jersey.

Edited by MotoAddicted

I'm not sure how you do it.   I used to just wear a jersey with nothing underneath.  I've since added a chest protector.  And I don't even like that much.  Like I said, I have a Fox Titan and thought it was hot, bulky and restrictive and that's without the 2 other layers.

55c502dfdd08956e0c8b45e5?width=1100&form

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

I'm not sure how you do it.   I used to just wear a jersey with nothing underneath.  I've since added a chest protector.  And I don't even like that much.  Like I said, I have a Fox Titan and thought it was hot, bulky and restrictive and that's without the 2 other layers.

the under layer is thin enough that I don't think it restricts me at all

maybe I've just gotten hurt too much. I've cracked ribs 3x this year and tweaked my knee pretty well once. I'd rather stop doing so. 

that was different helmet/pants/boots than I'll wear for dirt but the same upper body stuff. I didn't feel it got in my way at all. Then again I come from the street side of things, and roadrace leathers are far more restrictive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

lmao..just deal with it i guess. maybe ill take my airframe out next summer and get a refreshed comparison.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toten said:

the under layer is thin enough that I don't think it restricts me at all

maybe I've just gotten hurt too much. I've cracked ribs 3x this year and tweaked my knee pretty well once. I'd rather stop doing so. 

image.png.c88ed0a8a1713b5f1f0df1acb8c730b3.png

that was different helmet/pants/boots than I'll wear for dirt but the same upper body stuff. I didn't feel it got in my way at all. Then again I come from the street side of things, and roadrace leathers are far more restrictive.

You're wearing armor in this picture?   When I wear my Fox titan under a jersey I look ridiculous.  I look like Shaq's torso on a short guys legs.

Doc

1 hour ago, MotoAddicted said:

lmao..just deal with it i guess. maybe ill take my airframe out next summer and get a refreshed comparison.

I LOVE riding with just a jersey on, but after seeing people getting stabbed and myself crashing and getting a puncture wound on my back, I force myself to wear the chest protector.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

You're wearing armor in this picture?   When I wear my Fox titan under a jersey I look ridiculous.  I look like Shaq's torso on a short guys legs.

Doc

yep I have armor on under the jersey. I'm 6'2" 175lb so I guess I don't look too big even when I have armor on. 

can see it a little better here, note the oddly shaped shoulder

image.thumb.png.b2c3465a34cd7e73465a1335a7663f54.png

• Like 1

Having looked at a ton of these jackets though, wouldn't you agree the jacket isn't going to be any hotter than any of the other choices. And heat/hydration and fatigue can be very rider dependent based upon fitness, terrain, humidity, age and rider skill. If it's too hot, stay oudda da kitchen....
I do see that Fox has upgraded this jacket to a newer model, so the old model is now being closed out with very nice pricing. The new model isn't any more expensive than the previous model. 
At one time I was going to try the Leatt version, which was at least $50 more expensive. It was challenging to get on and off and it didnt' fit me well, so I've stuck with Fox ever since. 
To a degree, it doesn't really matter what you wear, but in many places it's important to wear something. Around here, there are so many sticks and pointed objects that I cringe when I see folks riding with zero armor. I've been saved from serious or life threatening injury by my jacket the last 4 yrs at least 4-5 times.  About 5 yrs ago a guy got a stick into the chest/heart and died almost instantly. 
I ran the fox jacket, now the leatt 4.5 pro, the leatt is way more comfy/ cooler and easier to move in. You should try one. The 5.5 has some more rib protection but the 4.5 has enough for me. Just try it, you'll like it.

I absolutely want elbow and shoulder armor rather than just a chest protector. I don't want something too hot, but I'd rather sweat than bleed. 

Right now I have an old TLD Supermoto one but it has quite a bit of leather so it's warmer than I'd like for dirt in the summer. not my pic but I think it's the same one. 

20191102-152408.jpg&key=c5ea33f8b39849fd9b3929163cdb3fc0dc38ae308f0382213f8c65b886409c92
Running the leatt 4.5 with msr elbow/forearm guards, don't even know it's on. I found the jacket very restrictive, but my shoulders are really broad for my overall size and none of the jacket style ever fit me right. The titan is either way too tight in the shoulders and back or the one that fits across my shoulders is like a tent around my torso. Those things have a very European cut.

3 minutes ago, JefeRotacion said:

Running the leatt 4.5 with msr elbow/forearm guards, don't even know it's on. I found the jacket very restrictive, but my shoulders are really broad for my overall size and none of the jacket style ever fit me right. The titan is either way too tight in the shoulders and back or the one that fits across my shoulders is like a tent around my torso. Those things have a very European cut.

thanks to my right collarbone being a full inch shorter than my left, my shoulders aren't all that wide. still wide enough that they overhang both sides of an airplane seat...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JefeRotacion said:
2 hours ago, MotoAddicted said:
Im aware how long things hurt. Used to race supermoto as well and tore my shoulder labram. Even after surgery it isnt the same it was. Obviously there are risks without them.

My ortho surgeon told me literally every dude over 40 has a torn labrum.

What's a labrum? :D

Heat and heat stress is a big deal. And high humidity is much more taxing than heat alone. At this time of year in Darwin you can be drenched in sweat just sitting in front of your TV, and even a T shirt feels suffocating. Most guys up here only wear a jersey. I wore a chest plate once riding in Bali Indonesia and found it okay when we were in the high country but had to ditch it when we got back to sea level. The #1 protective item is a well functioning brain. Seen so many guys get heat stress & serious cramps riding it happens almost every time there is a big group ride.
But would love to try the Zac speed unit. Pity no one up here has one.

• Helpful 1

16 minutes ago, JefeRotacion said:
2 hours ago, MotoAddicted said:
Im aware how long things hurt. Used to race supermoto as well and tore my shoulder labram. Even after surgery it isnt the same it was. Obviously there are risks without them.

My ortho surgeon told me literally every dude over 40 has a torn labrum.

might be to a point. mine was falling out of place laying still in bed.

12 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

What's a labrum? :D

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_shoulder-labrum-tears-overview.asp

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JefeRotacion said:
13 minutes ago, MotoAddicted said:

Yeah that's really bad. Ive torn both of mine, but partial tears can heal without surgery, it just takes a long time.

Both my shoulders are rooted from Cricket and MX. Wonder if that's my problem. If I fall asleep with my arms above my head, i wake up in a world of pain.

• Like 2

Both my shoulders are rooted from Cricket and MX. Wonder if that's my problem. If I fall asleep with my arms above my head, i wake up in a world of pain.
Mine fo totally numb in minutes lol. The thing with shoulder injuries is physical therapy. Unstable tears obviously are different. My right one took almost two years to stop hurting and get full range back. My left one only took two months with PT once a week.
  • Helpful 1

thanks to my right collarbone being a full inch shorter than my left, my shoulders aren't all that wide. still wide enough that they overhang both sides of an airplane seat...
&%$#@!ing airline &%$#@!. Id like to put all their execs and bean counters in the last 3 rows coach of one of their own planes and send them nonstop to Australia.
  • Haha 1