The Host

81 Dr500 head interchange

So I know I just posted here but the main reason I joined the forum is I have a question. 

I have a 1981 suzuki sp500 4 valve I just bought. 50 bucks. Get it apart and she ate a valve. Looks like low oil and/or bad tensioner was the culprit. Cam, head, whole things shot. Now I know the dr400/600/650 are all similar designs. Some parts interchangable. My question is does anyone know of other possible more modern heads that would be decently easy to interchange? 

Otherwise I'm stuck buying a very iffy used head and cam off eBay. And any other advice on these ole hogs I'd much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

She was a barn find. Current state she's in and pics of when I brought her home. She isn't gonna be pretty. Just enough to go kick my buddies butt in the 4stroke class and not be stuck on a Honda or something British :D

imagejpeg_0_01.jpg

IMG_20190925_181519878_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190926_204136793.jpg

IMG_20191202_134444773_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

I would go with the stock one, Ebay sounds like a winner for your purchase, I use them a lot, got a fresh used shox for my cr, recently, it fit like a glove, so I was good to go..

Edited by M E T A L A C I D
forgot something..
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 4:31 PM, M E T A L A C I D said:

I would go with the stock one, Ebay sounds like a winner for your purchase, I use them a lot, got a fresh used shox for my cr, recently, it fit like a glove, so I was good to go..

Yep, I found a good used head. I guess I forgot to update the forum. It's actually all together and running now! Still have some work to do on her to get her ready for the race season. But the hard part is done. 

IMG_20191230_173417458.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Host said:

Yep, I found a good used head. I guess I forgot to update the forum. It's actually all together and running now! Still have some work to do on her to get her ready for the race season. But the hard part is done. 

IMG_20191230_173417458.jpg

Had a 82 dr500. Two mufflers on them made it super quiet. Good for poaching rural parks with horsies nearby. Kicking it had a drill and once known - easy starting. 

• Like 1

Dr 500 is 90% ready for the race season. Gonna weld up and exhaust this week, weld some wider pegs to the existing pegs for a wider foot rest, swap front tire. And waiting on a seat cover and fork seals and heavier springs (swapped to rm370 front end simply cause I could buy stiffer springs. 

She ain't purdy, but she's gonna be a good workhorse. And pieced together from 3 different bikes. 

IMG_20200111_161551632.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Host said:

Dr 500 is 90% ready for the race season. Gonna weld up and exhaust this week, weld some wider pegs to the existing pegs for a wider foot rest, swap front tire. And waiting on a seat cover and fork seals and heavier springs (swapped to rm370 front end simply cause I could buy stiffer springs. 

She ain't purdy, but she's gonna be a good workhorse. And pieced together from 3 different bikes. 

IMG_20200111_161551632.jpg

I made these up for my 400 used late model drz  pegs they fit straight on the cut them off the junk rubber mounts and welded them to my own mounting plate. I also moved them back about 35mm and down 20mm to give abit more room

FB16327E-985F-4647-A225-BA1D09BDBC10.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 11:56 PM, vince 1 said:

I made these up for my 400 used late model drz  pegs they fit straight on the cut them off the junk rubber mounts and welded them to my own mounting plate. I also moved them back about 35mm and down 20mm to give abit more room

FB16327E-985F-4647-A225-BA1D09BDBC10.jpeg

How well do those line up with the levers? That's an awesome idea!

4 hours ago, The Host said:

How well do those line up with the levers? That's an awesome idea!

Just shortened the gear lever by 25mm and adjusted the height on gear lever and brake lever. Brake lever was fine length wise

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vince 1 said:

Just shortened the gear lever by 25mm and adjusted the height on gear lever and brake lever. Brake lever was fine length wise

Thanks for the info! I'm a decently tall guy, and getting those pegs down would be nice.