kickithard

Vegan mx racer?

58 minutes ago, ToadalyCrazyCanadian said:

Again... you a vegetarian? How simple is anyone that straight up says I feel much better eating plant based than eating meat? :excuseme: Pretty &%$#@!ing stupid to choose to eat plant based and it makes you depressed :smirk:

Im about half way through the 9 week Ornish program which is almost vegan . The longer I’m there Im seeing so many people loving being plant based and feeling great and really being very happy. I went yesterday and Im meeting past graduates too and doctors and they are stronger  and more fit and just happy. 

Why don’t you poll all of the vegans and vegetarians that have posted even on this thread? Ask each of them if they feel more depressed since quitting eating meat. See what they say... 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

One thing I learned about going plant based in what I eat. Before, during and after and still now those that aren’t vegan or vegetarian give all these excuses and bs and they’ve never been vegans or vegetarians..well almost all.. like anything. It’s like a tire thread. Everyone has their opinions on how shitty or great a tire is and in the end it doesn’t matter. It’s try for yourself to know for sure. Everyone else's trash talking never makes a difference. 

Duane, this thread is out of control, but in all seriousness, I am concerned for your health. 

That video I posted as a joke is pretty revealing brother and I'm concerned about you. This one even more. 

You've moved less than 100 yards and barely kicked the bike and you are really huffing and puffing and you're spent just lifting your bike a few times. 

Please take this as a fellow rider who never wants to see another riders get to the point where their health is so compromised they cannot enjoy the sport they love. 

Take control of your health, don't be in denial, and focus on one day at a time.

Start with some simple cardio. Walk for 45 minutes, get hills involved, get that heart rate up! 

Eat Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Keto, whatever, just eat clean. Absolutely no processed foods or sugar or alcohol, period. Start small, one change at a time and build on it. 

If you are truly interested in Vegan or Vegetarian, being a former firefighter go here: 

It's a great way to start. Be careful with the pasta or starches though. 

I say this in all sincerity, you look and sound like you are in a bad place and that's alarming! 

Not everyone here is evil, it's just a place to waste time and good off. Most guys on here would probably come alongside anyone on here if they dropped their guard and reached out. 

As a fellow firefighter, it's apparent your overall health is not in a place you want it to be and at your age, the consequences can be dire, as you well know! 

I've seen several guys I work with get pretty heavy and out of shape.It's alarming because we of all people know the outcomes are horrible!

We have a very healthy culture here with a peer fitness coalition, dedicated physical therapist and nutritionist and yearly full IAFF health assessment, all free and part of our benefits package. If anyone's health gets out at control we reach out to them because we care! Letting someone continue to ruin their health without reaching out shows no compassion. 

Please take this as someone who does care and I hope you don't see it as ripping on you, but rather reaching out because I'm concerned! 

I wish you the best health and really hope you take control of your lifestyle so you can enjoy the sport you love! 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

Duane, this thread is out of control, but in all seriousness, I am concerned for your health. 

That video I posted as a joke is pretty revealing brother and I'm concerned about you. This one even more. 

You've moved less than 100 yards and barely kicked the bike and you are really huffing and puffing and you're spent just lifting your bike a few times. 

Please take this as a fellow rider who never wants to see another riders get to the point where their health is so compromised they cannot enjoy the sport they love. 

Take control of your health, don't be in denial, and focus on one day at a time.

Start with some simple cardio. Walk for 45 minutes, get hills involved, get that heart rate up! 

Eat Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Keto, whatever, just eat clean. Absolutely no processed foods or sugar or alcohol, period. Start small, one change at a time and build on it. 

If you are truly interested in Vegan or Vegetarian, being a former firefighter go here: 

It's a great way to start. Be careful with the pasta or starches though. 

I say this in all sincerity, you look and sound like you are in a bad place and that's alarming! 

Not everyone here is evil, it's just a place to waste time and good off. Most guys on here would probably come alongside anyone on here if they dropped their guard and reached out. 

As a fellow firefighter, it's apparent your overall health is not in a place you want it to be and at your age, the consequences can be dire, as you well know! 

I've seen several guys I work with get pretty heavy and out of shape.It's alarming because we of all people know the outcomes are horrible!

We have a very healthy culture here with a peer fitness coalition, dedicated physical therapist and nutritionist and yearly full IAFF health assessment, all free and part of our benefits package. If anyone's health gets out at control we reach out to them because we care! Letting someone continue to ruin their health without reaching out shows no compassion. 

Please take this as someone who does care and I hope you don't see it as ripping on you, but rather reaching out because I'm concerned! 

I wish you the best health and really hope you take control of your lifestyle so you can enjoy the sport you love! 

That huffing and puffing? That’s just riding here . Everyone does that in regular riding hard trails here. It’s what happens to everyone in every single Hawaii Hare and hounds race and guys purposely pick hard trails like I did there to train. There’s a nice wide open trail just below in the vid but that won’t help me train in a race. I don’t need to lift weights or do cardio. I just ride this stuff . . Watch Sunday rides or Drjekyl808 and a variety of other local youtube Hawaii hare and hound vids. That’s just normal trail riding here. . There’s some flowing stuff and there’s some straight bust ass riding. What you linked on mine isn’t even that bad. It’s just an awkward position because the guys that rode and cut this trail originally  are riding with skinny half the width and half the weight of my bike Surron electric bikes. I was sort of following but not sure where they were. They had gone through earlier. About 13 were on Surron ebikes that day.  My bike is too wide to make the trail but I tried it anyway. That ride isn’t just what’s that short little section in the video too. That’s after riding a variety of hard sections in a row. 
You obviously haven’t read this thread. I haven’t eaten meat in almost 3 years. I was still eating some seafood. Now Im in the DrDean Ornish program that lasts 9 weeks and it’s almost vegan. So Im not eating seafood and also no dairy and cut most sugar now: I’m eating plant based for health but also so I can do more hard enduro Hare and hounds get stronger and compete. 

This is normal trail riding here. Just look at the Hawaii trail vids posted here. This is just what guys ride here. Huffing and puffing is just part of every hard ride. 

The goal is just to finish a hare and hounds in Hawaii. That’s a win as few finish. I love it. To me hard enduro is awesome and it’s not easy.. but I love it..I finished my first Hare and hounds here at 13 and finished a pile of races my whole life. Hawaii hare and hounds are really hard enduro. It’s nothing new . It’s just what everyone rides here. Gotta be in shape to even enter and think you will finish. My last one I was sick and didn’t finish. The hare and hound before 2015?2016? I was one of only 4 to finish with all my checks In the B class. I won the 35 and up class.. They screwed up and put me in the younger class . I was supposed to be in the masters class. It took me 7 hours . I loved it. You are beat up but it’s great! . In the A class only one finished with all his checks and won Overall. Grayson Gonsalves. He is a pro now racing for Sherco now. Keep an eye out for him.  . 

Still on any Sunday some local rides are just an adventure and can be brutally hard just on a regular ride. You can go into survival mode if you aren’t careful.A bunch of vet riders just love gnar at the hard level. 

I want to get more fit and healthier to ride and race hard enduro. So far being vegan or almost vegan is making me better. I like it. 

OK Duane, 

I get it's not easy to admit when you're not in a place you want to be. I've been a peer fitness trainer for one of the largest departments on the West coast for over 15 years and believe me, it's not easy to go out to visit a fellow firefighter and address they're poor fitness. It's difficult for the both of us, but I always start by stating this isn't about your ego or what anyone else thinks, it's about your life! 

You know what's worse, when you go visit a close friend in the hospital who's in critical condition because he had a heart attack at the station at 53. Want to know the irony, he's a Hawaiian who moved here when he got married. Awesome guy, not terribly overweight, but as a Hawaiian, had horrible eating habits with the traditional Mayonnaise as part of everything. He made, it, retired and completely changed his lifestyle, heart healthy diet, picked up running and biking and 5 years later is doing amazing. 

I'll be honest Duane, I truly believe you're in a dark place. You are more concerned about saving face on an obscure dirt bike website than facing reality. 

Your 2 videos are a stark reality that you are a large guy who gets completely out of breath by simply kick starting your bike. You are up in the middle of the night posting here instead of getting sleep. You have changed your story 3 times in this thread about eating meat, going from I just started, to 2 years, to 3 years. 

I'm not here to preach to you and you will probably just trash me, but I can't help but be concerned for your health. 

I hope you take the opportunity to forget about what anyone thinks here and just get honest with yourself. Messing around with your health at 60 years old is extremely dangerous and you know it. 

Good luck brother and I hope you are able to get to a much healthier place! 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

OK Duane, 

I get it's not easy to admit when you're not in a place you want to be. I've been a peer fitness trainer for one of the largest departments on the West coast for over 15 years and believe me, it's not easy to go out to visit a fellow firefighter and address they're poor fitness. It's difficult for the both of us, but I always start by stating this isn't about your ego or what anyone else thinks, it's about your life! 

You know what's worse, when you go visit a close friend in the hospital who's in critical condition because he had a heart attack at the station at 53. Want to know the irony, he's a Hawaiian who moved here when he got married. Awesome guy, not terribly overweight, but as a Hawaiian, had horrible eating habits with the traditional Mayonnaise as part of everything. He made, it, retired and completely changed his lifestyle, heart healthy diet, picked up running and biking and 5 years later is doing amazing. 

I'll be honest Duane, I truly believe you're in a dark place. You are more concerned about saving face on an obscure dirt bike website than facing reality. 

Your 2 videos are a stark reality that you are a large guy who gets completely out of breath by simply kick starting your bike. You are up in the middle of the night posting here instead of getting sleep. You have changed your story 3 times in this thread about eating meat, going from I just started, to 2 years, to 3 years. 

I'm not here to preach to you and you will probably just trash me, but I can't help but be concerned for your health. 

I hope you take the opportunity to forget about what anyone thinks here and just get honest with yourself. Messing around with your health at 60 years old is extremely dangerous and you know it. 

Good luck brother and I hope you are able to get to a much healthier place! 

You’re in a darker place than I am. You just don’t know it. You’re still on the job and fire is a &%$#@!ed up job cardiac wise.You are in a higher danger zone. No one is immune. Don’t think you being a peer fitness trainer clears you. It doesn’t. I have had friends pass that are “fit”.  Im retired since 2011. I’m way healthier just not having to respond.  I don’t get alarms that I have to be on the truck and have to be at scene geared up. In 3 to 5 minutes. Ive got a headstart on you reversing some of the damage from a career in fire. You are in it. Look up the 10 year harvard study if you haven’t already. You don’t have to tell me about going to medicals for decades and my Dad was fir too.. and Ive had a flock of friends pass away with the most being this year. Don’t worry about me. I’m in the best position possible doing the very best program available and I have riding literally 2 miles from my house. As far as “ changing my story?” It’s almost 3 years no meat so rounding it out. It’s still evolving since I’m in Ornish so no dairy( well they allow nonfat greek yogurt that I don’t really eat anyway) and more recently stopped seafood. Cutting on sugar.. I also kind of don’t care about specifics much. The main thing is I don’t care about meat. That’s the big thing. I don’t crave it. When Im cooking meat for my family I might taste a tiny edge so it tastes good for them. I bite in .. it tastes familiar and good then immediately tastes shitty and oily and salty. I don’t like it..  Cheese too.. tastes shitty to me now. And &%$#@! that fake cheese. That’s gross. My taste buds are changing and I have more energy and less headaches than when working. Always have had to know location.. know setup for fire , a code , domestics, crazy people, kids .. pregnancies , storms, rescues,car accidents, hazmat incidents, TB exposures... whatever..   That shit is over for me. I can relax now.. You get to stick with that shit now. I’m retired and done with that. 

Stuff like this is old news.. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17695966/ns/health-heart_health/t/firefighters-heart-attack-risk-soars-scene/

• Confused 1

Um OK.

Do yourself a favor. Go get a BMI and VO2 test. At minimum get your blood work done, but better do a treadmill cardiac stress test. 

Diet is only a small portion of the equation to your overall health. Good luck! 

16 years now and still love the job, have a good balance of work, family, and healthier than I've ever been turning 50 next month and never miss a day of workout and clean eating.  5 miles this afternoon. Healthy way to decompress. 

IMG_20200117_160600504.thumb.jpg.de6357745ecb833de80dcaeff07fbc5f.jpg

• Like 2

You’re in a darker place than I am. You just don’t know it. You’re still on the job and fire is a &%$#@!ed up job cardiac wise.You are in a higher danger zone. No one is immune. Don’t think you being a peer fitness trainer clears you. It doesn’t. I have had friends pass that are “fit”.  Im retired since 2011. I’m way healthier just not having to respond.  I don’t get alarms that I have to be on the truck and have to be at scene geared up. In 3 to 5 minutes. Ive got a headstart on you reversing some of the damage from a career in fire. You are in it. Look up the 10 year harvard study if you haven’t already. You don’t have to tell me about going to medicals for decades and my Dad was fir too.. and Ive had a flock of friends pass away with the most being this year. Don’t worry about me. I’m in the best position possible doing the very best program available and I have riding literally 2 miles from my house. As far as “ changing my story?” It’s almost 3 years no meat so rounding it out. It’s still evolving since I’m in Ornish so no dairy( well they allow nonfat greek yogurt that I don’t really eat anyway) and more recently stopped seafood. Cutting on sugar.. I also kind of don’t care about specifics much. The main thing is I don’t care about meat. That’s the big thing. I don’t crave it. When Im cooking meat for my family I might taste a tiny edge so it tastes good for them. I bite in .. it tastes familiar and good then immediately tastes shitty and oily and salty. I don’t like it..  Cheese too.. tastes shitty to me now. And &%$#@! that fake cheese. That’s gross. My taste buds are changing and I have more energy and less headaches than when working. Always have had to know location.. know setup for fire , a code , domestics, crazy people, kids .. pregnancies , storms, rescues,car accidents, hazmat incidents, TB exposures... whatever..   That shit is over for me. I can relax now.. You get to stick with that shit now. I’m retired and done with that. 

Stuff like this is old news.. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17695966/ns/health-heart_health/t/firefighters-heart-attack-risk-soars-scene/
If you still just taste meat while cooking it, you haven't been meat free for any years. That's like claiming your drug free, but only do a little blow to test it with your friends.
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Um OK.

Do yourself a favor. Go get a BMI and VO2 test. At minimum get your blood work done, but better do a treadmill cardiac stress test. 

16 years now and still love the job, have a good balance of work, family, and healthier than I've ever been turning 50 next month and never miss a day of workout and clean eating.  5 miles this afternoon. Healthy way to decompress. 

I appreciate the recommendations but really you don’t get that I’ve been at this a whole lot longer than you have. You aren’t telling me anything that I’ve not already been through. I just straight have had more experience and time than someone 16 years in. I wish you well too and realize that at the time of my first incident I was racing every race. Running, swimming, bicycling, volleyball.. and charging whatever physically..at around your age. Then I got my first episode. No one on our crew believed it at first. I wish you well and know you are still early in your career. I wasn’t doing much different than what you say you are doing. You’re trying to warn me yet I’ve lived and done more longer in a similar career. It’s not the same from 40 to 50 years old and it’s not the same from 50 to 60 years old. Youll see. How is it with someone with 5 years in is telling you what to look for and you have 16 years in?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, ToadalyCrazyCanadian said:

If you still just taste meat while cooking it, you haven't been meat free for any years. That's like claiming your drug free, but only do a little blow to test it with your friends. emoji849.png

Don’t act stupid. Me tasting food Im making my family dinner maybe once in a great while isnt eating meat. This isn’t blow .. you know what you’re saying is retarded right..😂:smirk: I guess your name matches sometimes. 

Don’t act stupid. Me tasting food Im making my family dinner maybe once in a great while isnt eating meat. This isn’t blow .. you know what you’re saying is retarded right..:smirk: I guess your name matches sometimes. 
I deliberately said something retarded to drill the point home. You keep saying retarded stuff because you somehow believe it

Um OK.

I think a lot of the fire guys are either into just weight lifting or doing not much at all. Probably 99% of my workout time is spent doing cardio. The last few years have been trying for me career-wise with a promotion/heavy workload and experiencing stuff on major incident's that I wish upon no-one. In my case, if it wasn't for riding/racing bicycles, I don't think I'd be able to stay in a balanced state of mind.

The side affect of it all, is that I'm in better shape than 99% of my coworkers.  I'm truly disappointed in the physical conditioning of many of my co-workers. My agency preaches that we are "industrial athletes," but too many of our employee's are overweight and have health issues. It's infuriating every-time I hear someone pass away within a few years of retirement.

My afternoon:

1848505370_Screenshot2020-01-17at8_37_58PM.png.3b8c265d1245219d7d70f32d9e704583.png

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 2

698591167_Screenshot_20200117-2023542.png.c0806f11d4f1e23454ae13828e7f0313.png 

All firefighters that I ride with. 

Guy all the way on the right is 67, guy in the middle is 59. They ride hard. 

Do they look overweight and unhealthy like your videos? 

A healthy lifestyle is far more that what you're attempting with your diet changes. 

There's a lot of guys who would reach out to you and help you with getting back to a healthy place. 

Oh well, I tried

BTW, I'm set to retire in 5 years. Healthy living includes healthy financial life as well. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, firffighter said:

698591167_Screenshot_20200117-2023542.png.c0806f11d4f1e23454ae13828e7f0313.png 

All firefighters that I ride with. 

Guy all the way on the right is 67, guy in the middle is 59. They ride hard. 

Do they look overweight and unhealthy like your videos? 

A healthy lifestyle is far more that what you're attempting with your diet changes. 

There's a lot of guys who would reach out to you and help you with getting back to a healthy place. 

Oh well, I tried

this. theres been no malice in my comments to the bloke

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sierra_rider said:

I think a lot of the fire guys are either into just weight lifting or doing not much at all. Probably 99% of my workout time is spent doing cardio. The last few years have been trying for me career-wise with a promotion/heavy workload and experiencing stuff on major incident's that I wish upon no-one. In my case, if it wasn't for riding/racing bicycles, I don't think I'd be able to stay in a balanced state of mind.

The side affect of it all, is that I'm in better shape than 99% of my coworkers.  I'm truly disappointed in the physical conditioning of many of my co-workers. My agency preaches that we are "industrial athletes," but too many of our employee's are overweight and have health issues. It's infuriating every-time I hear someone pass away within a few years of retirement.

We are a very progressive department and have transitioned from, what I call the "meat head" mentality.

We used to preach a lot of isolation weight lifting. Meat, potatoes and gravy with a bowl of ice cream was common. 

We haven't been this way for a decade now. 

Workouts are full body, plyometrics,  kettlebell, battle ropes, etc. We incorporate a lot on lift and carry exercises that focus on core strength. We have strength and flexibility yoga classes, and state of the art cardio machines in every station. 1 hour dedicated to crew workout every day. Personal peer fitness trainer available for every member. 

We have peer support available as well as a dedicated psychologist to deal with PTSD. PTSD now covered as presumptive, so covered under insurance if you need help. 

Most meals are clean, no processed foods. 

It's a great place to work with most everyone encouraging each other in healthy living. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firffighter said:

We are a very progressive department and have transitioned from, what I call the "meat head" mentality.

We used to preach a lot of isolation weight lifting. Meat, potatoes and gravy with a bowl of ice cream was common. 

We haven't been this way for a decade now. 

Workouts are full body, plyometrics,  kettlebell, battle ropes, etc. We incorporate a lot on lift and carry exercises that focus on core strength. We have strength and flexibility yoga classes, and state of the art cardio machines in every station. 1 hour dedicated to crew workout every day. Personal peer fitness trainer available for every member. 

We have peer support available as well as a dedicated psychologist to deal with PTSD. PTSD now covered as presumptive, so covered under insurance if you need help. 

Most meals are clean, no processed foods. 

It's a great place to work with most everyone encouraging each other in healthy living. 

Aside from anther operation need, we actually have 1 hour of PT each day negotiated into our contract. Also physical fitness coordinators assigned to each operation division that are in charge of coming up with programs for the rest of the field. While most are on board with health and fitness, there are still a lot of supervisors who aren't. At a certain point, I don't really care if one individual doesn't care about their health, but...I feel company officers have the responsibility to make PT a major part of their day. In my program, we better have a damn good reason for skipping PT.

We have an employee assistance program for things like PTSD and mental illness. Unfortunately, our upper management fail to recognize that there decisions have an effect on morale of the line personnel. They provide the tools to work on the symptoms, but don't address the root cause of it all. I remain positive...I work for a very large agency...change may be slow, but it is happening. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

Aside from anther operation need, we actually have 1 hour of PT each day negotiated into our contract. Also physical fitness coordinators assigned to each operation division that are in charge of coming up with programs for the rest of the field. While most are on board with health and fitness, there are still a lot of supervisors who aren't. At a certain point, I don't really care if one individual doesn't care about their health, but...I feel company officers have the responsibility to make PT a major part of their day. In my program, we better have a damn good reason for skipping PT.

We have an employee assistance program for things like PTSD and mental illness. Unfortunately, our upper management fail to recognize that there decisions have an effect on morale of the line personnel. They provide the tools to work on the symptoms, but don't address the root cause of it all. I remain positive...I work for a very large agency...change may be slow, but it is happening. 

HFD has same type of stuff although the 1 hour of pt sort of always in there .. there’s usually way more unless you are at a cranking station then you fit in pt or you are too tired from too many alarms. I thought that minimum 1 hour was universal for other departments. We actually had lots of pt and volleyball or swimming or weight training etc depending on availability of facilities  .. just depends on your station. We’ve had critical incident stress debriefing teams arrive at the station to deal with the real messed up ugly alarms.. especially the kind with kids are the worst. My Dad’s time didn’t have this kind of stuff and some stuff would creep out sometimes 20 years after he retired. The old timers had it worst.. plus no airpaks. Heavy smokers.. and drinking as their version of critical incident stress debriefing. Can’t show weakness. For sure those things affect your heart as well and overall health. In the Ornish program they are addressing this too. It’s an overall lifestyle program change besides excercise and diet etc.. 

Our upper management has been surprisingly supportive of dealing with health issues above and beyond employee assistance. We are a big Dept too. Well we have to be. It’s not like adjoining departments can come help us out in emergencies. We are alone. We’re it with a tiny bit of help from a few federal companies on military bases. In any case with the harvard firefighter cardiac study coming out in 2007? Our department along with departments across the country started doing heart healthy diet recommendations like ornish and Dr Shintani diets to help protect firefighters and change the trends of firefighters dying. Im sure you must have had info on all this with your position. I had my first heart episode in 2007 got stents in my heart. Went to rehab and training and went back to full duty. My Dr said go for it. Train as hard as you can. You are good to go. So I was good. I raced..Charged hardest trails just like before. I just had to take meds.