Trail Maintenance Tracker!

I'll try my hand at doing something positive.  Let's start a trail maintenance tracker/planner.  Last year as I watched this free-for-all go down, I found I often heard about maintenance parties 2 days out, but in places 3-5 hours drive away where I needed to plan for an overnight.  So here's an opportunity to create a post that could become a crowd-sourced clearinghouse of info on upcoming volunteer work parties.  When you comment, shoot for the 5Ws with specifics on locations, desired capability and tools, contact numbers, dates, etc.  I'll collect those and re-post them here inside message #1 if that works.  

image.png.2424e4ce4a00a1bc1ac848d3635ec21a.png

• November 9th - PNW Dirt Talk - Tahuya brushing party. POC: @brian.havoc  COMPLETE!  15 volunteers, 91 hours.
  • December 8th - PNW Dirt Talk - Walker Valley trail party with Skagit MC.   POC: @brian.havoc  COMPLETE!  28 volunteers, 515 hours.  
  • January 25th (or 26th) - PNW Dirt Talk - trail party at location currently TBD.  POC: @brian.havoc
  •  
Edited by brian.havoc
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 3

30 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Got to get permission from the Land Manager and then report hours worked, It helps the land manager manage their resources and/or apply for grants.

Absolutely!  Done it the last couple of times.  I even wrote up a document on how the hours reporting goes towards the grant process.  Report hours to the land manager and maybe they get applied to moto trails in the local riding area.  Report via the NMA or WOHVA and it's guaranteed they'll go to the grant process to support moto, but they'll go to wherever NMA/WOHVA is operating.  That's the trade-off.  Some land managers are more honest than others in applying hours from moto users to moto trails.  Above all, it's good practice to let NMA know how many hours you've done.  No good to double-dip, but helping them to understand the hours helps them to write the narrative about how moto users contribute to public lands state-wide each year.  The mountainbike people absolutely kill us here because they're organized and they report a ton of hours.  We know we're doing it and we know we have hundreds if not thousands of guys out there putting in work, but we're terrible at telling the story because we don't talk amongst ourselves.    

On a related note, many DNR locations which host NMA-sanctioned club events (poker runs and enduros) require an hour of volunteer work per participant.  When I do work in Tahuya, I report to DNR and specify that it was River City MC contributing.  Then I let NMA know that I reported hours.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

My brother and myself camped overnight a couple weeks back in Darrington and cut 2 NEW trails. One is ~ .5 mi long, thru the woods and connects two campsites.

The second one is  over 1 mi long. Past the yellow gate , dips into the trees and comes out of the woods into a clear cut and heads uphill, 2 switchbacks, one step up...bout 100 yards of off camber then a nice hillclimb to a ridge line that goes back into the woods...I intend to go back on break and burn it in, then bring the crew for approval next season

I also see the makings of a nice straight shot hillclimb with ONE kicker midway

On 12/21/2019 at 9:08 PM, Jes Pres said:

My brother and myself camped overnight a couple weeks back in Darrington and cut 2 NEW trails. One is ~ .5 mi long, thru the woods and connects two campsites.The second one is  over 1 mi long. Past the yellow gate , dips into the trees and comes out of the woods into a clear cut and heads uphill, 2 switchbacks, one step up...bout 100 yards of off camber then a nice hillclimb to a ridge line that goes back into the woods...I intend to go back on break and burn it in, then bring the crew for approval next season.
I also see the makings of a nice straight shot hillclimb with ONE kicker midway

Post up the location so the dirty mountain goat guys can give it a go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Why don't you guys volunteer at the one place that will allow the building of trails, Shelton Dirt Rider? [mention=418109]SRD_rider[/mention] would certainly love to have the assistance of your organized labor party?
What a great way to "give back"?  
That's a great idea, and when John publishes his schedule I'll add the dates here.
  • Like 2

Update: 25th of January will be a Trail date at Tahuya, 8am at Elfendahl Trailhead (subject to change) focused on single track of 1.9 Mile and Raines Grade. Riders meeting 0815, move out at 0830. Possibly other locations, pending weather and whatnot between now and then. Brushing, deadfall, and some trail remediation.

Good chance we'll have the NMA Heavy Maintenance Crew out there with the ST240 single track excavator both to work and for show & tell.

I'll update after the holidays.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brian.havoc said:

Update: 25th of January will be a Trail date at Tahuya, 8am at Elfendahl Trailhead (subject to change) focused on single track of 1.9 Mile and Raines Grade. Riders meeting 0815, move out at 0830. Possibly other locations, pending weather and whatnot between now and then. Brushing, deadfall, and some trail remediation.

Good chance we'll have the NMA Heavy Maintenance Crew out there with the ST240 single track excavator both to work and for show & tell.

I'll update after the holidays.

Man, that place needs a good brushing out! I very, very, rarely ride on the west side because I prefer the mountains and open stuff east of the mountains, but rode it last week (staged off Hurd Rd) just because some buddies were going and it was better than doing chores around the house. Spent 90% of the ride dodging and ducking overhanging brush.

Crap!  I thought I could edit the original top post, but there appears to be a statute of limitations on that.  I can edit my note from yesterday but not a week ago.  Well, that makes the "sticky" idea kind of a bust...unless I'm missing something.  I'd hoped to simply go back and edit the top post every so often with news and then leave the rest of the thread for discussion. 

Am I missing something?

And @Wiz636, I hear ya.  Honestly Tahuya could probably use more work than just about anywhere, but I think many of us regard it as a location of last resort where you ride because everything else is snowed in, or because you want to take beginner friends out.  So it tends to get ignored.  I know a handful of great people who put a ton of time in over there, but it's never enough.  

Edited by brian.havoc
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, brian.havoc said:

Crap!  I thought I could edit the original top post, but there appears to be a statute of limitations on that.  I can edit my note from yesterday but not a week ago.  Well, that makes the "sticky" idea kind of a bust...unless I'm missing something.  I'd hoped to simply go back and edit the top post every so often with news and then leave the rest of the thread for discussion. 

Am I missing something?

No, you're correct. I don't want people substantially editing or deleting opening topics or replies as that  can really gnarl up the context of a topic.  This is a global setting. But, you could use the Club's feature. Not sure if you've checked that out?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brian.havoc said:

About to be. Just found it.

Https://Thumpertalk.com/Clubs

Hoping I can get something going with the same level of visibility as this thread. Gonna start learning. Thanks!

Give it a shot and if something isn't ideal, shoot me a pm and I'll see what other solutions we might have. I'm happy to support your efforts here.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Give it a shot and if something isn't ideal, shoot me a pm and I'll see what other solutions we might have. I'm happy to support your efforts here.

Created.  Looks like I'll have to poke at it a bit more once it's approved.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Approved. 

Be sure to check this: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/387-faqhelp-discussion/

Killer!  Created some  topics, with  general discussion, event calendar, and tools/carry buttons at the top.  @SRD_rider is already in there bragging about his badass little saw. ;)  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Wonderspoon said:

How local do you want this?

Good question.  I figured PNW is BC, WA, OR, ID.  I don't feel like I own it, but I know a lot of people and locations here.  I'm more than happy to expand the scope (after all, it's about trails, not about me).  What are you proposing? How can we do it better?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian.havoc said:

Good question.  I figured PNW is BC, WA, OR, ID.  I don't feel like I own it, but I know a lot of people and locations here.  I'm more than happy to expand the scope (after all, it's about trails, not about me).  What are you proposing? How can we do it better?

I’m not suggesting you change that mission but I was wondering if your intention was narrower in scope since so many riders and locations are on the I-5 corridor.  Obviously there’s a balance between a small enough geography to be relevant and large enough to be active.  Either way, thanks for setting this up.  

• Like 1